Trains to Prague from Munich

167 posts in this topic

Was in the Euraid office the other day and found out there is still a special on return tickets from Munich to Prague: 59 euros. Moreover, this ticket is valid for a month!

The fare is valid on direct trains only, excluding the night train. As mentioned in a previous post the departure times from Munich are 6:44am (arrives 12:45) and 16:44 (arrives 22:45).

WOW! Remind me to shovel some extra cash in the pockets of whoever runs that company!

That "special" is still dearer than the cheapest method of doing it yourself with a Bayern Ticket / Czech ticket combo.

Note: There's another decent connection to Prague from Munich with an easy change at Regensburg and Schwandorf on which you can use the cheapest tickets which aren't valid on the early Munich departure on weekdays. On the return trip there's a similar connection if the 2330 of the 2nd daytime direct train into Munich is too late for you.

The Schones Wochenende Ticket is valid as far as Plzen, so weekend travel is even cheaper still -- and vastly less than 59€ return.

Ive just read this whole post and im still utterly confused.. 2 of us want to get from Munich to Prague in early feb. Please tell me exactly what I need to do to get the cheapest return ticket.. (not 100% sure if ill be travelling on a weekend). Or should i just go and bug Euraid?

If going from a Fri-Sun, then get 2 Schones Wochende tickets. Or if your going during the week get 2

Bayern tickets. Both will get you to Plzen, where you change trains and goto Prague. The costs of the

ticket from Plzen to Prague is less that 10 Eur. The Schones Wochende and Bayern tickets are good for

up to 5 people. Thus you only need 1 for each direction of your trip from Plzen to Munich.

So as an example:

Leave on a Thursday

------------------------

MUC-Plzen - Bayern Ticket 22 Eur (Up to 5 people)

Plzen to Prague - Local CZ rail ticket 8-10 Eur (Per Person)

Return on sunday

------------------------

Prague-Plzen - 8-10 Eur

Plzen-Munich - Bayern Ticket or Schones Wochende - 22 Eur

I'm not sure, but I don't think the Bayern Ticket is valid in the Czech Republic at all. I think that only applies to the Schönes Wochenende ticket. You would have to buy a ticket from the border to Prague, which might still be the cheapest option.

Nope, the Bayern Ticket is valid in some of the former Sudetenland.

In this case up to Plzen. Have a look at Deutschebahns website. I'd give a link but I can't access the DB site at the moment. I and many others have used BT's many times before to get to Prague.

The Bayern Ticket is valid to Furth in Wald and not a centimeter further. See link (PDF; dated 2006).

Ein besonderes Plus sind die attraktiven Fahrpreise, denn

für diese RegionalExpress-Züge gibt es die besondere

Fahrkarte „Prag-Spezial“. Außerdem gelten das „Schönes-

Wochenende-Ticket“ bis Pilsen, das „Bayern-Ticket“ und

das „Bayern-Ticket Single“ bis zur Grenze in Furth i.Wald.

Otherwise, you can follow DK's advice. If you travel Mon-Fri, get a Bayern Ticket to the border, and when you cross the border buy a ticket to Prague from the ticket inspector. At weekends, buy a Schönes Wochenende Ticket, and after Plzen buy a ticket from the inspector to take you to Prague. And remember your passport.

Nope, the Bayern Ticket is valid in some of the former Sudetenland.

The Schönes Wochende Ticket is available in some parts of the north and west of the Czech Republic ie as far as Plzen but NOT the Bayern Ticket. IIRC, the increased cost of the SW Ticket is MORE than the fare you would pay for the Czech section Fürth-im-Wald to Plzen.

Get a ticket, paying in Czech cash off the Czech conductors. They know that people will have Bayern Tickets and will sel you a ticket to any Czech station at Czech rates. I do it every few weeks. It is the cheapest way.

If you are confident and don't have a lot of luggae you could buy a new ticket at Plzen and hop on the train again as it stops there to change locomotives. Stresfull mind.

If it it was your first trip though I wouldn't get off and back on at Plzen to get a new ticket.

Though a pivo stop is a good idea! B)

Thanks guys, one other thing where do I buy a Bayern Ticket, can I buy the return one in advance and do I need to book the train?

You can buy them from any DB automat. Yes you can buy them in advance (Up to 3 months I think)

You can't reserve seats on the train. However, these trains can get very busy (especially the 1644 departure), so turn up early to get decent seats.

You can buy the Bayern Ticket in advance from any DB or MVV machine. It used to be the case that the tickets from the MVV machine didn't have a date on and so were good if you didn't know which day you were returning. I don't know if this is the case any more.

Yes, that is the case, buy a bayern Ticket in advance from an MVV machine and they are undated. But obviously have to be used before any price increase.

The 1644 departure (its the same in the new timetable) can get VERY busy.

There are exztra carriages put on as far as Regensburg but they are at the front of the train so the rear Czech bound coaches in HBF are jammers first.

Despite this train being a normally unreservable RE train in Germany I have seen reserved seats on it.

But I'd just get there early. Excellent Czech run restaurant car on this train too. B)

Thanks for the info :D

I went and had a look at the ticket machines today and to my suprise some of them are in English, which means I can make sure I buy the correct ticket

I think ill take the 6.44am train... Give's me 6 hours to find my accommodation when I get there :P

when you buy your ticket it'll ask you for hte day the ticket is going to be used.

Not if you buy from an MVG machine in a U-Bahn station it won't! ;)

Note the cheap tickets are ONLY valid on the 0644 departure on ther weekends and public holidays!

The ticket office can sell you a ticket to bridge the gap until the 0900 (?) start of validity. But you'll be in Schwandorf by then anyway. For a daytime departure there are other options with chnging trains, one of which is fairly fastish too with just 2 changes in Regensburg and Schwandorf IIRC.

I think ill take the 6.44am train... Give's me 6 hours to find my accommodation when I get there

Just be aware that you can't use the Bayern Ticket before 9am between Monday and Friday. If you are travelling during the week and don't want to arrive in Prague at 11pm, then there are earlier connections, such as the 1044 departure which still only takes six hours despite two changes. Just type in München-Praha into bahn.de.

There are accommodation offices as well as various touts at the main train station, so you won't have to leave the train station to find a good deal on budget accommodation.

June 2007 update: A new ticket, the Bayern-Böhmen-Ticket has been introduced. This is valid throughout Bavaria and as far as Pilsen in the Czech Republic. After 9am on weekdays and all day at weekends and on public holidays, this ticket will get you most of the way from Munich to Prague. You just need to buy a cash single on the train between Pilsen and Prague (maximum €10). Note that the Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket is now no longer valid to Pilsen. The Bayern-Böhmen-Ticket costs €32 for up to five people or €22 for one person. It can also be used to reach Karlovy Vary, Marianske Lazne and Ceske Budejovice.

See also Transport options for Munich to Prague