Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Claiming UK or Irish welfare payments from Germany

5 posts in this topic

hi all,

i know there are many threads about unemployment benefits etc, but this is a bit of a unique question...

my girl has just come over to munich to give the german thing a whirl and has cunningly arranged to receive irish welfare payments whilst job hunting and language schooling here...

the only snag is that she has to go to the welfare office here and 'sign on'... but the muppets in ireland were unable to tell her where this office is or what it is called...

i'm hoping that once she goes to the KVR for the anmeldung thing they might set her on the right track, but i rather suspect they will look at her with a puzzled expression and show her the door...

does anyone have any experience on this???

Hiya

I'm not sure about the Irish system but the UK system gives you 3 months to look outside of the UK (but inside the EEA). Here are the details from the UK Employment Services' website:

Transferring Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) If you are entitled to the contributory part of JSA and have normally been claiming this for at least four weeks in the UK, you may continue to receive it for up to three months in Germany, while you actively seek work there. You must first tell your UK Jobcentre Plus office or Jobcentre (where you are registered) of your intention to look for work in Germany well in advance of your departure date. Your Jobcentre Plus office or Jobcentre will advise the DWP Pensions and Overseas Benefits Directorate who will determine whether conditions are satisfied and send you form E303 before you leave. This form, which secures the payment of your unemployment benefit in Germany, should be taken to the German jobcentre as soon as possible after your arrival in Germany. General information on the transfer of JSA abroad is available from the DWP in the form of a brochure (JSAL 22).

I hope this helps a bit, she may well need someone to go with her though if she doesn't speak any German though!

Good luck

Katrina

yip,

i think that is pretty much the procedure she went thru... although i'm not sure they actually provided her with a E303... they told here they would forward it on her behalf... even though they didn't know wherer they were going to forward it to!!!

we'll just have to rock up to the arbeitsamt and see what they say...

cheers

Hiya

Here is the relevant part from the EU site:

"Social welfare - National social welfare provisions

Unemployment benefits - Beneficiaries and conditions for entitlement

The Bundesanstalt für Arbeit (BA, Federal Employment Service) with its Employment Offices administers unemployment insurance.

Its most important work includes vocational guidance and job placement. The system of unemployment insurance provides insurance for the unemployed. Persons who have fulfilled the qualifying period (i.e. worked in Germany immediately before becoming unemployed and were in insured employment for 360 calendar days in the previous 3 years) and are available to the placing service are entitled to German unemployment benefit.

Employment periods in EU/EEA member states can be taken into account. Form E301 must be completed to verify these insured periods outside Germany.

The amount of unemployment benefit is based on the net earnings in the last 12 months and is 60% of this, or 67% if the claimant has a child. The period of entitlement depends on the verified contribution periods and is not less than 180 days.

Those receiving unemployment benefits are also insured against illness and for nursing care; In addition, obligatory contributions to pensions insurance are paid. The Employment Office pays these contributions."

She needs to have the E301 issued by the Irish FAS/Dole Office.

Cheers

Katrina

thanks for that,

following a serious of irrate phone calls to the social welfare orifices in ireland, she has deduced that they should indeed have given her an E301 before she left, but they didn't have the forms to hand and couldn't arrange it over xmas... and many other ridiculous excuses... they are now going to post them to her...

oh well, we'll see how it all works out...

probably should have read this first...

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_country/mov...titlements.html