Cheapest car insurance

21 posts in this topic

I'm with Allianz at the moment, I have an old Mercedes LKW insured with them but just went to insure my Ford Fiesta and they want aboutn700/year which seems very high & making me think there must be much cheaper insurers out there. Any suggestions..?

Thanks so much...

Difference is amazing, i found out the 700 that Allianz quoted is only minimum cover.

I only asked Europa so far, will try devk also.

Result:

Allianz = 1500/year

Europa = 380/year

This is full insurance (ie pay for me damaging other cars and damage to mine whoevers fault it is) based on 3 years no claims that I already have.

Thanks a lot..!

thanks for the advice. will try them also.

Aspect online is far too complex for my limited German skills/knowledge of German insurance, I can't answer half the questions..!

thanks again...

I changed my insurance company at the start of the year, having found a much cheaper company through this here:

http://www.kfz-versicherung.com/

- the site compares all possible insurers and gives you options as to which one is more suitable to your needs - I am now with Direct Line, and have saved more and €120 on my yearly insurance.

so just to finish off the story: in the end I got together quotes from all different insurers, told Allianz I was gonna quit them and magically they beat the best price to keep my business...

Why don't they just offer a decent price to start with and save me a lot of hassle & their reputation..???

oh well, done now.

thanks for all the advice.

Why don't they just offer a decent price to start with and save me a lot of hassle & their reputation..???

It seems that you didn't try to bargain with them. It reads as if you only called them and simply asked for an offer, without the magic words "else I'll go to another insurance company" in the first place ;)

But just to clarify: The (new) offer from Allianz, does it cover full insurance (Haftpflicht + Vollkasko) or is it only the basic coverage (Haftpflicht)?

And don't forget: Allianz is a real insurance company and not only a call center :) Terms in case of a damage may differ from both types.

Hi Guys,

I'm currently in the process of changing the Insurance company.

In my previous one I had Hauptflicht and Teilkasko, while in the new one I want only Hauptflicht.

Now my questions are:

- Do I need to quit the previous insurance personally or new insurance company will send the resignation papers for me?

- If they do send resignation papers ... will it be from both TK and HF or only for HF?

- How do I get to know which SF klasse I'm in? I have had a care for almost 1,5 years and my account is clean (only 1 point from speeding on the autobahn) :-P

For your SF-Klasse have a look at your last bill. The new insurer will ask the old, current insurer about your SF-Klasse anyway and continue counting based on this information.

Send your termination by yourself. Terminating  Haftpflicht includes the termination of Teilkasko, you terminate the contract as such.

"Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

den Versicherungsvertrag Nr. XXYXX kündige ich hiermit zur Hauptfälligkeit (should be the) 31.12.2015 "

all car insurance runs for a calendar year. In your first year you obviously only need to pay for the part year to the end of the year. At the end of the year your SF klasse is improved as you have another 1 year accident free (even if in your first year you have only driven for a little bit of December). The easiest way to cancel your insurance is to speak to the new insurance company and get the them to sort it all out for you. As stated above the termination will be effective 31.12.2015.

Hi Guys,

need some information. I will be relocating to Munich in September. I will be driving up to munich with my car, (Registered and Insured in malta).

My Car insurance in malta ends in november this year, is it possible to insure my car in munich as it is? Can i keep my number plates or not?

Thanks 

while I am an insurance broker for Expats, the one thing we don't do (unless for very good long-term clients) is car insurance.

May I suggest you contact another specialized broker who does nothing but car insurance for Expats in Germany:

Contact Astrid Rombey at

Ellen Culpeck Insurance Broker GmbH
Haihover Str. 11
D-52511 Geilenkirchen
Germany

Tel.: + 49 2451 2983
Fax.: + 49 2451 71129

E-Mail: info@culpeck.com
Internet: www.culpeck.com

She assist you with this. One think upfront: no, you can't keep Maltese plates on your car if you are a resident in Germany and the car is insured in Germany. Not sure if any specs need to be changed on the car, could be as you are driving in Malta "on the wrong side" from a German perspective and AFAIK this requires some adjustment with the front lights etc.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

I seemed to have missed the boat and forgot to give my required 4 weeks notice to cancel my KFZ-Versicherung (car insurance) which renews on 01.01.2018. I don't think I can get out of starting the new year with the automatically renewed insurance policy, but if I was to put in my Kündigung/cancellation request now, could I then change to a new insurer as of 01.02.2018 or would I have to see out the entire year with my current insurer?

If I was to put in my Kündigung now to end my about-to-be-renewed-contract at "the soonest possible time", and I was to have paid for the entire 2018 year in a lump sum around christmas time (SEPA Lastschrift is set up), then I guess if they allowed me to jump ship at the end of January then they'd need to reimburse me 11/12ths of my prepaid fees?

I assume this is a pretty standard scenario and doesn't differ (much) across the swathe of major insurers out there, but I could be wrong!

1 hour ago, barry2104 said:

I seemed to have missed the boat and forgot to give my required 4 weeks notice to cancel my KFZ-Versicherung (car insurance) which renews on 01.01.2018. I don't think I can get out of starting the new year with the automatically renewed insurance policy, but if I was to put in my Kündigung/cancellation request now, could I then change to a new insurer as of 01.02.2018 or would I have to see out the entire year with my current insurer?

The latter, sorry. The 30th of November would have been the last day to quit. The only ways out now would be

- a rise in the premiums, this would give you the right to cancel within 4 weeks after their message

- an accident: you have 4 weeks after (!) the regulation to quit 

- selling the car and buying another one. ;) 

so this means I'm stuck with them for another 12 months (unless I sell the car, upon which I would get a refund for the rest of the "unused" year's premium)?

Is it possible for me to bump it down from Vollkasko to Teilkasko without giving any notice? This would at least reduce my costs and since the car is now 5y.o. is no longer necessary to have Vollkasko

3 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

The latter, sorry. The 30th of November would have been the last day to quit. The only ways out now would be

- a rise in the premiums, this would give you the right to cancel within 4 weeks after their message

- an accident: you have 4 weeks after (!) the regulation to quit 

- selling the car and buying another one. ;) 

thanks for the quick response by the way

20 minutes ago, barry2104 said:

so this means I'm stuck with them for another 12 months (unless I sell the car, upon which I would get a refund for the rest of the "unused" year's premium)?

Yes.

Is it possible for me to bump it down from Vollkasko to Teilkasko without giving any notice?

You want to change a valid contract without any notice? No, that's obviously not possible. Not for them and not for you.

Some insurers accept changes during the year (anything in the contract about that?) although they don't have to, legally. Talk to them and tell them that you want to stay with them in TK (even if you don't want to). Don't cancel your contract first and then ask about the change. ;) 

So for anyone else in a similar Position, it was actually a Piece of cake to drop down from Vollkasko to Teilkasko via a single telephone call just 2 weeks before the start of the next contract.