Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

No floors in the apartments & high brokerage fees

5 posts in this topic

Hello All,

So my husband and I found an aparment we really like on line. It is located in Hetjershausen just outside of Göttingen. We have been speaking (via email and phone) and come to find out the apartment does not have flooring in the 3 bedrooms. Is this normal? What is there if there is no flooring? It is on the (in Germany) first floor..in US second floor. So I do not think it could be concrete. Wood? I am at a loss. Here I find a place with a fantastic kitchen (quite necessary as I went to school to be a chef..yet I work from home as my children are small), yet is lacking floors in the bedrooms. On top of that, the brokerage fee comes out to 2 months rent + 19% tax. It seems pretty steep...it is about $1800 (€1300)..for a down payment on an apartment I can understand..but to pay the broker is this not insane? With a fee that high you think the floors would be present. Frustrated, and I only have 5 weeks to get it all together!!! Help please! Any information is appreciated. :)

in Germany it is quite common that apartments are rented via the "help" of some thieves called Maklers. Their fee is often 2 months +VAT. if you want to avoid it, you will have to search for apartments rented directly from the owners.

Flooring missing is surprising, and it is questionable if it is 'adequate for living'. You'll have to wait for the paralegals here to give you a detailed answer. you might want to be sure that there is heating as well and so on. my experience: walk away from anything that look suspicious.

on the other hand it is quite common to find apartments without kitchen. I built my own one.

If you already here, it is easier to look for an apartment.

side question: how do you get an apartment with 3 bedrooms for 650Euro???

ha ok Gottingen = middle of nowhere. you better know your HochDeutsch out there...

We have been speaking (via email and phone) and come to find out the apartment does not have flooring in the 3 bedrooms. Is this normal?

Jein. Officially its normal and a lot of people even prefer it, as "floating" laminate and wood flooring is so easy to lay. In practice a lot of German homes have tiles and/or the laminate laid by previous tenants has been left in. Carpet is increasingly rare.

On a purely practical point - From the landlords point of view, no flooring is easier. if he rents you an apartment with flooring, hes responsible for maintaining and replacing it. No flooring, no responsibility.

What is there if there is no flooring? It is on the (in Germany) first floor..in US second floor. So I do not think it could be concrete. Wood?

Germans build a lot more solidly than UK, let alone US tenants are used to and unless the place is historically old and/or unrenovated its highly likely that the floor will be concrete - Either because its concrete anyway (if the building is less than 30 or so years old) or because screed has been laid on the originally flooring. In a very old place recently renovated you may find chipboard flooring laid over some form of insulation but its unlikely yoully find just floorboards.

Here I find a place with a fantastic kitchen

"Fantastic kitchen", especially if its part of the flat and noone wants you to pay them "Ablöse" for it is a keeper. Its rare.

On top of that, the brokerage fee comes out to 2 months rent + 19% tax. It seems pretty steep...it is about $1800 (€1300)..for a down payment on an apartment I can understand..but to pay the broker is this not insane? With a fee that high you think the floors would be present. Frustrated, and I only have 5 weeks to get it all together!!! Help please! Any information is appreciated.

To be fair, the Makler has nothing to do with floors/no floors. He just finds you the apprtment and charges you the fee. Is it steep? Is it insane? For the amount of work a Makler usually does, yes it is, but its also not only legal but usual. The only way to get round it is go private or go to a Wohnungsgenossenschaft that doesnt charge a Maklergebühr, but youll need a fluent German speaker for that.

side question: how do you get an apartment with 3 bedrooms for 650Euro???

Live anywhere outside of Hamburg or München. 650 sounds perfectly ok for 3 rooms to me.

might it be worth staying in an Apartment hotel for a while in the beginning before signing for a flat you're unsure about? the agency fees are huge, you may find a private owner willing to rent.