Bahncard, I have it, and want to pay for it

23 posts in this topic

Can anyone help me on this. I bought a bahncard when i was in Germany last year for an extended period of time. Great piece of kit and easily paid for itself after a few journeys. I've been back since and used it as well.

It recently expired and they sent me a new one, but didn't send me any details on how to pay. I thought they would just take it off my card but then realised i dont have that card anymore. I've read a few posts on here where people are complaining that they don't want theirs renewed but i'm happy to have it again as i'll be doing some more trips in germany this year.

They have sent me a few letters now, my German is not good enough to read them but I imagine its saying I need to pay for it as it has their account details on it or something that looks like a paying in slip.

How can I pay for it? I spoke to my bank but they want £20 to do an international bank transfer which i don't really want to pay. I'm not back in Germany until the end of May so I guess I could leave it till then then go in a postbank and do it but i'd prefer to sort it earlier as tickets that I will be travelling with in May that I have prebooked have got a bahncard discount on them.

I don't actually remember but when you're on the train do they just ask to see it or do they swipe/scan it or something?

Bad, bad thread title.

Wait until you're back to pay. If you have bought a ticket with discount they want to see the bahncard, but only see it. They only compare the photo to you, and the expiry date.

If you have a paper ticket (delivered by machine or human), that's the end of the story.

If you bought the ticket on the internet, you'll have a printout with bar code. They scan in the bar code, and also need to swipe the card with which it was paid. In my case that's a credit card, but if you had a bank account linked to your bahncard which both you and I don't, you could have used it to pay for your ticket, and in this case they will swipe it.

Regarding the UKP20, if you do an IBAN/BIC transfer its free of charge, but I'm sure DB hasn't the brains to print IBAN/BIC information on their invoice.

you can determine the IBAN/BIC from the PLZ & Kontonummer, there are sites on the internet which will do this for you. I don't think it's free from a UK bank account though

Cheers, yeah i've got paper tickets as i paid the couple of euros to have them sent.

I'm happy to wait till next month but im not sure if they are they are sending me a letter every week or 2 at the moment.

you can determine the IBAN/BIC from the PLZ & Kontonummer,

you can determine the IBAN/BIC from the BLZ & Kontonummer

Fixed that for ya..

As far as I understand, your Bahncard contract with DB is automatically renewed because you didnt cancel that in time. That why they send you the card. And since they send you the card, you are suppose to pay the money within 14 days of time. If you are failed to do that, they may charge something for this.

My advice would be to pay the bills now. I have got a letter from DB recently and I am now writing the instructions here to so that you can pay the money.

Account number: 152517108

BZL: 10010010 (Postbank Berlin)

IBAN: DE02100100100152517108

BIC (SWIFT code): PBNKDEFF

note: information without guarantee :)

You could also contact DB about it, maybe you can give them your new credit card number and expiration date and they can just book it off your card.

BahnCard service phone# is +49 180 5 34 00 35.

I am sorry if I am being particularly stupid, but why does DB send out new Bahncard but not include details on how much it costs, or their account details.  Just a letter saying how lovely it is to have a Bahncard, etc.   Last couple of years it arrived and then I got a reminder and Mahnung.  This second letter does (helpfully) provide the payment details.  Am I supposed to google how much it costs, and then google their bank details, and then I guess use my DB card in the reference box on the Überweisung.  But it seems a bit weird.

The bahncard is automatically renewed/extended unless you cancel it before a certain date.

All in the small print. I guess many people let the bahn take the money automatically every year.

First you get the card, then a couple of days later the bill with bank details. I don‘t use direct debit and transfer the money instead. The card became cheaper, because of the change to the lower VAT rate.

I have a Bahncard and they sent me a bill for it on email including how to pay for it before they sent the actual card.  They sent the email a month before my card expired so not enough time to cancel which would be six weeks.

3 minutes ago, LeonG said:

They sent the email a month before my card expired so not enough time to cancel which would be six weeks.

Haha, they are not stupid.

1 minute ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Haha, they are not stupid.

Exactly.  Someone on here said he always cancels such contracts as soon as he's signed up for them.  That way, you don't forget and you can always sign up for it again if you need it.

52 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

First you get the card, then a couple of days later the bill with bank details. I don‘t use direct debit and transfer the money instead. The card became cheaper, because of the change to the lower VAT rate.

But I have not got the bill for (at least) the last three years.  At first couple of times I thought I had missed a bill.  But really, I have not.  And also, for the sake of time and money, why would a company not combine the two lettersg?  My husband has it set up that they just take the money out of his account.  But again they do not mention it in his letter.  I like DB though.  Before Covid loved to travel round with them.  Exception being Hamburg HB.  This is a crazy station.   Mad.  Really, I wonder if they got advice from British Rail on how to run a station.  Try to book tickets via Harburg.  

Forgot to ask, which bahn card do you have: bc25, bc50, or bc100?

Other organisations play borderline tricks with subscriptions, for example an order disguised as a questionnaire. Often they avoid the word 'Bestellung' (order), but use 'Auftrag', 'Anforderung' or something else.

More good advice for bc users: keep your tickets and check if the bc has really saved you money. If you book long trips a few weeks ahead you can travel real cheap without a bc.

I have been in Greece for nearly 8 years and still have a Bahnkarte because I always forget to cancel it. They take the payment every January or so. 

😂

I am incorrigible.😩

1 hour ago, Fietsrad said:

More good advice for bc users: keep your tickets and check if the bc has really saved you money. If you book long trips a few weeks ahead you can travel real cheap without a bc.

I have checked this out too. It is worth if for me.  Though now the BC50 would be better, as it now offers BC25 benefits.  Must upgrade.  Would love the BC100.  I know someone who gets it through their (bank) employer.  He drives everywhere.

2 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

Forgot to ask, which bahn card do you have: bc25, bc50, or bc100?

Other organisations play borderline tricks with subscriptions, for example an order disguised as a questionnaire. Often they avoid the word 'Bestellung' (order), but use 'Auftrag', 'Anforderung' or something else.

I have BC25.  If you are able to book a few weeks ahead, your tickets will be cheaper than if you buy at short notice but in both cases, cheaper still if you apply a BC discount.

6 hours ago, LeonG said:

I have a Bahncard and they sent me a bill for it on email including how to pay for it before they sent the actual card.  They sent the email a month before my card expired so not enough time to cancel which would be six weeks.

Same here. I got the bill through email before they sent the actual card. That was the horrifying part - even if I updated a new email address on my DB account, they sent the bill to my old email address. Good thing I still check my old email address once in a while, otherwise I would have missed it since they do not send a copy of the bill per post.

6 hours ago, Densio said:

Same here. I got the bill through email before they sent the actual card. That was the horrifying part - even if I updated a new email address on my DB account, they sent the bill to my old email address. Good thing I still check my old email address once in a while, otherwise I would have missed it since they do not send a copy of the bill per post.

I'm sure they'll let you know if you don't pay ;)