Unacceptable noise from construction work

45 posts in this topic

Financial compensation will not have the slightest effect on the state of your nerves. 30 years ago I became allergic to the sound of pneumatic drills after a year of constant pounding all day, day in day out. Scarred for life. Seriously.

Thanks for all your advice. Looks like I struck a nerve! It's quite extraordinary how long it's taking them. There is still no actual new building started. Maybe they hired the BER crew! I will join the mietverein. 

10 minutes ago, optimista said:

Financial compensation will not have the slightest effect on the state of your nerves. 30 years ago I became allergic to the sound of pneumatic drills after a year of constant pounding all day, day in day out. Scarred for life. Seriously.

Jesus. I can't believe with all the sharks with laser beams and other innovations there isn't a better way to do this than an pneumatic hammer. 

12 years ago I visited Dubai 6-7 times for work. Back then, they had the highest number of tall cranes in the world. Dozens of skyscrapers were built at the same time! They have no German laws: construction 24/7 and air traffic at night as well. Thank God, I stayed there maximum one week at the time.

1 hour ago, optimista said:

This. 

My personal view is that rent reductions make excellent sticks to coax a crappy landlord into fixing a problem. But this is something your landlord can't fix and the amount of money saved isn't going to make you feel better about the loss of peace, which is fairly priceless

Throw in possible permanent damage to your tenant landlord relations and potential legal wrangling... for me it would not be worthwhile for a relatively small savings on rent. I will use it to ward off any increases during construction but won't go for a reduction.

12 hours ago, katheliz said:

how on earth do they manage to do it with little sound disturbance? 

They drill caissons, insert forms and fill with concrete.  Currently, there are 37 cranes in Chicago.  When they drill, you really only hear the auger engine and that's not very loud, plus they finish fairly quickly. The sooner they get the tenant in, the sooner the money comes in.

Bumping this post because I have the same problem, except I own my home.

When we moved in, there was a lovely older couple whose favourite pastime was to hang over the fence and tell me what I should be planting.  We became fast friends after my cats ate all their Koi carp :)

Well, time passed, and sadly they both died.  The house was sold to a Croatian sob (= sob because he refused to put a hedgehog tunnel in the new concrete fence between me and him, which means forever having to rescue incredibly loud distressed younglings).

This man started work FIVE YEARS ago and work has not stopped. I have a litany of complaints, amongst which is he refused to cut tiles in his double garage, which meant I was locked inside my house with all the windows closed for 2 years solid because of the dust + noise. (I was married to a builder, I'm not picky about a bit of dirt.)  He refuses to prioritise the work, eg do the noisy stuff during the day. I totally lost it one time when they were chucking scaffolding around at 9:30pm.  

And it's STILL going on. The minute he finished his house, he started building a vast swimming pool behind it, complete with pool house. Jackhammers, concrete mixers, you name it. I have a nasty feeling he will never, ever stop.  He's also immune to "concrete is very CO2-intensive..." pleas. The police say there's nothing they can do.

No kidding, I'm seriously thinking of selling up if this continues. It's bad luck that my office window is only ~50m away, with the prevailing wind blowing from him to me.  My lovely, quiet-except-for-the-birds home has been trashed.

There *must* be something one can do. The other neighbours are also super-pissed off, but say gibt nichts. I don't want to get into a war, because that's a one-way road to hell (for eg. there's his cameras and lights that blaze into my house and onto my land as soon as it gets dark). Bah!

57 minutes ago, MaineCoon said:

I was locked inside my house with all the windows closed for 2 years solid because of the dust + noise. 

There *must* be something one can do. The other neighbours are also super-pissed off, but say gibt nichts. I don't want to get into a war, because that's a one-way road to hell (for eg. there's his cameras and lights that blaze into my house and onto my land as soon as it gets dark). Bah!

You think complaining about these things is a one road to hell, well how would you describe the situaiton you have been living in for five years?

Are you saying that you have put up with situation for five years and have done nothing about it because 1. your neighbours said there is nothing that you can do and 2. because you don't want to fight your neighbour. Sorry to inform you but that is the reason why it has gone on for so long. You will have to make a decision, to grin and bear it or do something about it.

Amt für öffentliche Ordnung    Eberhardstraße 39      70173 Stuttgart     Telefon 0711 2160      E‐Mail poststelle.32stuttgartde

They deal with lots of things such as noise levels, people working on Sundays and bank holidays and after 10.00 p.m. for instance.

BTW: People like your neighbour only do these things because people like you and your neighbours let them. 

Hope you make the right decision.

In Berlin you contact the construction department of the Senate. The guy came round pretty fast and talked to some very loud brick cutters and threatened them with a noise wall. They quickly fell into line. I had more noise from another place nearby and talked to them about a noise wall, again they got scared. The noise wall is your go to it seems.

How could you put up with this for 5 yrs. without seeking help? Even if you don't have legal insurance, you could have hired a lawyer or contacted the places that have been recommended here. Wish you had come here 5 yrs. ago.

I don't see how anyone will take you seriously after so much time has lapsed and why sell up now? The guy must be almost finished. Have you asked him?

20 minutes ago, black1 said:

In Berlin you contact the construction department of the Senate.

In the US you contact Chuck Norris: +1-800-CHUCK.

@White Rose of Yorkshire I detect more than a hint of exasperation in your post!  It's not that I'm a wimp, it's more that from the start you know you have to put up with it because building by def'n is a noisy exercise. When it gets too bad you ask the owner to take steps, he agrees, it's better for a week or so but then goes back. You let this go, you let that go, you talk to the owner again and again, he apologises, nothing changes, you yell at him, then he says "I can do what I like, you can't stop me".

I kindof rely on my much pissier and more argumentative neighbours to know the ropes better than I do, and they all said there's nothing we can do - hence my inaction.

They did work on Sundays, PHs, etc at the start, but stopped when they were told the rules - which they push at the margins of, even now.

I think the guy has a Douglas Redwood on his shoulder because he just started building after he bought the house. Of course he got reported, and had to apply for permission. We (his 4 immediate neighbours) objected to the massive 2-storey extension he wanted to build, as his house already overlooks ours horribly.  I don't think he's ever forgiven us. His wife came round and demanded I sign the "approval", and started screaming at me when I refused, "You MUST sign it!".  She got even madder when I just grinned at her.

He only has access to his tiddly back garden through his house. He came round last summer to ask if he could bring "a few buckets of dirt" through my garden.  I demurred, said he'd been a shitty neighbour, and wtf should I do him any favours. While we were talking, I noticed a massive 40 cu.m. container standing in his parkplatz and alarm bells went off. I asked what it was for, and he hummed and hawed. I started laughing at him, and said "sorry, no can do".  He got really mad, and yelled at how he would make my life hell, and do this thing and that thing. Didn't go down well when I pointed out he'd already achieved that.

@black1 How I wish I'd known such a thing as a Lärmwand existed. What a difference that would have made / would make.  I shall get on to the Amt at the cod on Monday am - heartfelt thanks for that.

@fraufruit Had I known the Amt für öffentliche Ordnung existed, you can bet I would most certainly have contacted them.

Working as a solicitor in my dim + distant past taught me that the only people who win at that game is the lawyers themselves. Besides which, I am not of a litigious nature. I suppose I thought there must surely be an end as there's not much more he can do. Perhaps I've been fortunate in life, I've never come up against such entitlement before. It's clear this guy will only respect boundaries drawn in blood (sigh).

On that note, does one require permission to build a pool and pool house in one's back garden?

And to whom can I report those bloody cameras and lights?  I'm sick to death of those football stadium lights shining into my house + garden.

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Wish you had come here 5 yrs. ago.

Nothing like as much as I wish I had!

Wrt to camera surveillance, you cab start with the Datenschutzbeauftragter - Data protection has gotten more strict and enforceable over the years.  

This is an article on video surveillance of office spaces, bit it might be a starting point.  Google translate will get you the highlights. It also has the contact info and they should be able to tell you who else to contact if they are not the ones

https://www.baden-wuerttemberg.datenschutz.de/videouberwachung-durch-nicht-offentliche-stellen/#:~:text=Nach%20%C2%A7%206b%20Absatz%201,konkret%20festgelegte%20Zwecke%20erforderlich%20ist.

Just now, maxie said:

Wrt to camera surveillance, you can start with the Datenschutzbeauftragter - Data protection has gotten more strict and enforceable over the years.  

This is an article on video surveillance of public spaces, but it might be a starting point.  Google translate will get you the highlights. It also has the contact info and they should be able to tell you who else to contact if they are not the ones

https://www.baden-wuerttemberg.datenschutz.de/videouberwachung-durch-nicht-offentliche-stellen/#:~:text=Nach%20%C2%A7%206b%20Absatz%201,konkret%20festgelegte%20Zwecke%20erforderlich%20ist.

On 09/05/2021, 00:40:53, MaineCoon said:

Working as a solicitor in my dim + distant past taught me that the only people who win at that game is the lawyers themselves.

Amen to that. Nice to have it from the horse's mouth. :P

I hate to break it to you, but it sounds like this guy always needs another project going. He will almost certainly never be finished.

So much of your post resonates too loudly with my own experiences of the Neighbours from Hell - Bogenhausen. (Self-entitlement, yeah!!!) I commiserate. There are no easy answers. Don't expect any German neighbour to stick their head above the parapit. They have too much in terms of past unhappy experience on their patch and tend to keep their heads well down. It's partly a question of who caves first.

I bought a flugelhorn and "practiced" in short spurts through the day. It drove 'em nuts. Eventually we moved out. Then regretted not doing so sooner.

@optimista I wasn't really lawyer material. Went into it as a youngling with my head in the clouds, full of "Truth and Justice for All! Yay!"  Heh.

Flugelhorn: funny, I had been thinking that my fancy amp needs a workout, possibly with the Bach Double Violin Concerto (BWV 1043).  Very penetrating :)

The neighbours' behaviour does have me puzzled. We meet in the street, and all they can say is "bitch, moan, complain, ..." - but they don't seem prepared to actually do anything, hence my thinking that there was probably nothing we could do.  However, there's more than one way to skin a cat...  roosters, for eg. (evil grin).

21 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Turn up the amp every time you leave the house for a few hours.

Or get a repeat recording of the most annoying canine yapper you can find to turn on.

Or record his noise and play it back through your amp when it stops.

Don't forget to give you other neighbors earplugs even though they've shown that they won't do anything.