Chat about Ireland and things Irish

1,093 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, onemark said:

Hi, Tap,

Just an afterthought: what - if any - are the catering arrangements at the venue, please?

Thanks.

We have booked a private function room at the Adina hotel with refreshments and a tapas buffet for those attending. We kindly ask that each person attending donates €10 on the evening to cover the costs of the tapas buffet. Please let us know in advance if you will be attending so that we have an idea of numbers. (frankfurt@irishbusinessnetwork.de)

Excuse my ignorance but why would a hard border between Northern Ireland and Ireland be such a big deal. I understand that it would be very undesirable if e. g. workers would have to schedule extra time for passport control but why would a hard border constitute a risk of civil war? Isn´t that a bit of an exaggeration? Who in their right mind would want that and to what end. What could be won by that?

5 minutes ago, jeba said:

Excuse my ignorance but why would a hard border between Northern Ireland and Ireland be such a big deal. I understand that it would be very undesirable if e. g. workers would have to schedule extra time for passport control but why would a hard border constitute a risk of civil war? Isn´t that a bit of an exaggeration? Who in their right mind would want that and to what end. What could be won by that?

Oh Lord!   

20 minutes ago, jeba said:

Watch this video, jeba. All will be revealed.

6 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Watch this video, jeba. All will be revealed.

Actually the lady interviewed is basically confirming what I was thinking - that the risk of another civil war is quite low as nobody wants it.

28 minutes ago, jeba said:

Actually the lady interviewed is basically confirming what I was thinking - that the risk of another civil war is quite low as nobody wants it.

Nobody wants it, but some  break-a-way  parts of the IRA may well start actions.

29 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Nobody wants it, but some  break-a-way  parts of the IRA may well start actions.

What could they hope to gain? I don´t get it.

Just on this evening's function: is there any kind of advance programme available, e.g. who speaks when, question-time (if any) etc. etc.?

Thanks.

Hi onemark, 

It's a meet and greet with the ambassador, it being St. Patrick's Day on Sunday. 

Mr Collins will start by talking about business between Ireland and Germany, he will also talk about how Brexit may affect Ireland. There'll be time for some questions and general discussion afterwards.