My new DVB-T TV does not find any channels

12 posts in this topic

Hi people!

I guess this topic has been around for ages but I still don't get it. I moved here a couple of months ago and connected my old analogue TV to the antenna and got no signal. People then told me to buy a TV with a DVB-T/C tuner and then it should work. So, just before easter I went to Saturn and bought myself a brand new flatscreen with all the bells and whistles. Guess what... It does not work. I plugg in the antenna cable and get no channels. What's wrong?

Can it be that my house is...disconnected somehow and I need to get my TV thru my internet provider(I currently have Alice and really don't like them)?

If I do need to get something like a TV provider, which one is the cheapest/best?

With Regards,

J

Being in a large city like Berlin should not be a problem. (DVB-T=terrestrial / DVB-C= Cable) see http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2009/07/09/german-dtt-reaches-90-penetration/ As you can see, Berlin is saturated. Make sure you have antenna connectivity.

Did you scan for DVB-T channels? If it is still not working then you antenna socket is not connected to any aerial antenna. Go again to Saturn and buy a DVB-T desktop antenna, it will be like 10 to 15 EUR.

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00027YFOS/

Depending on your location, you might need a more powerful one, this means it needs to be powered.

P.S., This is assuming your TV actually has a DVB-T tuner.

Hi all and thanks for the replies!

This is the TV I bought, so unless I got it completely wrong it should have all the necessary connections

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B002OB798O/

I guess I need to get myself an external antenna then, a couple of questions regarding that:

1. How will it work if I'd like to buy channels like SKY (i.e. HD channels) and such, can they be delivered over external antennas like that?

2. Is it common that the houses here have their antennas unplugged? Seems a bit odd...

I had the same problem as you, and then I saw this post. I reset my country setting to Finland (on my Panasonic TV) and all of a sudden, I had a whole lot of HD programmes available:

Try changing the country settings to Sweden or Finland (strangely enough) and then retune. It worked with my LG 26LU5000 and I receive the ARD, ZDF and ARTE HD channels, no problem.

(I think LG should *seriously* think about updating their firmware! I pointed out this glitch to them when I got my TV, but they were not interested )

Try it, it might work for you too...

EDIT: just for reference - all of the channels were on DVB-C, which wasn't available and couldn't be tuned when I had my location as Germany

http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B002OB798O/ref=asc_df_B002OB798O612473?ie=UTF8&condition=new&tag=deamazonmarketplace-21&creative=7998&creativeASIN=B002OB798O&linkCode=asm

The TV has a DVB-T tuner.

1. How will it work if I'd like to buy channels like SKY (i.e. HD channels) and such, can they be delivered over external antennas like that?

Over satellite would be too complicated in Berlin, you would need a 2m dish.

You can have some channels in English from some cable providers, but they are not really that good. They are not delivered via DVB-T.

2. Is it common that the houses here have their antennas unplugged? Seems a bit odd...

Yes, it is. They might be wired just to be connected to a cable provider. Ask your Hausmeister.

It is also often in the house contract that a "Gemeinschaftsantenne" is connected and available to use. If this is in your contract then you should still be able to receive the standard German channels over the cable receiver of the tv, irrespective of whether you have ordered Sky, Kabel Deutschland, etc.

Hi all! Thanks for the replies everybody! Turns out that I can have cable. The hausmaister told me to get tele columbus but it seems they have a minimum conctract period of 24 months. I'm not willing to sign up for that really since we won't live in the apartment for that long. Does anyone have a suggestion for a provider with a shorter contractperiod?

Are you moving to a different place in Berlin soon? If you move the cable company will move the connection to the new place, if they can't provide the service there, then that's a reason to cancel the contract.

The question is why do you want to have cable? Most of the channels you will get are available via DVB-T.

P.S., I see Tele Columbus has now a package with TV+Internet+Telephone

Hi all!!

I have a friend with a DVB-T and sometimes we get TV channels and sometimes we don't. For that reason, we'd like to set the frequencies manually - is there a list with all the 20+ TV channel frequencies in Berlin?

Thanks in advance!!

And as you will see from that list there are not "20+ TV channel frequencies in Berlin" but less than 9...