Seaside weekend holidays from Munich

27 posts in this topic

As someone who has spent nearly their entire life on an island I am really missing the sea and sand. I had decided to go to a beach for a weekend but am lost for ideas, can anyone reccommend somewhere?

It needs to be a beach with sand, somewhere warm, accessible by Eurolines and within 12-15 hours driving distance from Munich. We were thinking of Croatia (think their beaches are all pebbles, oder?) or the Almalfi coast.

Any ideas? :(

Why not take a quick flight somewhere? Last minute. Probably cheaper than paying the tolls and no driving.

With the bus a return ticket to Split is €69 and it will be less with a student discount. I doubt I could get a flight for that price.

With the bus a return ticket to Split is 69 Euros and it will be less with a student discount. I doubt I could get a flight for that price

Maybe not quite as cheap as a long bus to Split, but you could fly to Ibiza next weekend (Thu-Mon) with FlyDBA for €106.79 all in. Plenty more offers like that out there.

I like the beaches on the North Sea coast of Holland, around Den Haage and Haarlem. But then I like big waves and cold water. But with the night train to Amsterdam, you have a nice weekend. Go thursday night return sunday night (train arrives back into Munich about 6:30/7am) then you go straight to work- done it lots! There is a Dune park north of Amsterdam around Caastricum, very nice Stay Ok hostel there too!

Or, a Trip with car to the Italien Riveria... nice area, and great walks to Cinque Terrea (spelling?) only about 5-6 hours drive.

Kat- Bibione looks exactly like what I am after! Have you been before? I looked at the towns' website (surprisingly enough http://www.bibione.com ) and when I was checking out the bit about the beach it seemed like you have to pay 30 Euros to use it?! Is that true or am I just forgetting how to read? :unsure:

post-16-1117394893.jpg

So is paying for a beach a normal thing in Europe? Huh? :blink:

I don't know anything about paying for the beach use. I stayed at the campground there, and the beach must have been included. Probably most of the beaches are private to the resort or campground on it, so if you stay at one of those, it's included, and otherwise there's some fee, like a nominal butt-parking charge.

Anyway, the campground was really cheap and clean and included a fun entertainment crew that will drag you into games on the beach if you're willing, and give song and dance kind of shows in the evening. I thought it was great.

Okay, just had a closer look and those fees are for the public beach. If you stay at a seafront resort, the resort beach will be included.

Also, a tip: take the Salzburg autobahn route past Udine. It's much quicker than the Innsbruck route, which may seem obvious, but I had German's who were convinced it'd be the same (and were proven wrong).

If you are after a great seaside experience Id rather go Grado or Lignano than Bibione. Bibione is REALLY only made to cater for mass german tourists, whereas Lignano and Grado are more classy. If you go the Udine (my old home town) route, then Lignano and Grado are even closer to reach than Bibione. Basically if you go to Lignano its all autobahn to Latisana (past Udine) and then about 15kms to Lignano along the straight state road, so its really really easy to reach from Munich. Lignano is also pretty cool because its actually 3 towns in one, so depending on what you are after you can find the perfect holiday experience. Lignano Sabbiadoro is where all the action is, like all the shops and boutiques. bars and clubs. Lignano Pineta is a more relaxed, layed-back but still pretty hip, whereas Ligano Riviera is a very peacefull surburb like enviroment mainly made for people who want to just relax and enjoy nature and the sea/beach.

lignano1.jpg

Grado is more of a "POSHY" place and all the richer families from the region go there. Typicall old-venetian like seaside town, not as much beach as Lignano or Bibione but the old town is much nicer and has more history, if thats your thing.

IF you like history, Grado is also pretty near Aquilea, an ancient roman sea port, where you can visit some pretty amazing Roman ruins and see an actuall roman ship, that was discovered just a couple of years ago, at the local musem.

Grado-Panorama.jpg

I went to Grado when I was a kid, remember the campsite was good and flat with a pool, too. You can windsurf from the beach, but beware I remember it being like a lagoon, no real waves like the ocean. But then it was 20 years ago and my memory is starting to fail...

Just thinking about do-able weekend trips to the beach over summer and found this thread.

Can anyone recommend a good beach that isn't too hard to reach from Munich, and is not in Italy? I would really like to avoid that place if at all possible.

I was thinking Croatia maybe?

we are planning to drive down to Italy this weekend and maybe someone here knows a nice place to stay in the above-mentioned areas (Grado, Lignano,etc). Something not very expensive, like 80-100 per night

thanks!

It needs to be a beach with sand, somewhere warm, accessible by Eurolines and within 12-15 hours driving distance from Munich. We were thinking of Croatia (think their beaches are all pebbles, oder?) or the Almalfi coast.

Croatian coast isn't all pebbles - excellent sandy beach on the island of Korcula and other islets around Dubrovnik.

Amalfi coast is all pebbles.

Isn't Rimini a sandy beach?

excellent sandy beach on the island of Korcula and other islets around Dubrovnik.

I'd say it's a bit far to go for the weekend, especially if it involves taking the ferry back and forth.

Well, we are going to Italy, not Croatia...I was reading about Grado and Lignano before and that is why I asked if anyone could recommend where to stay in that area!

Croatia sounds nice, but it must take longer to get there I guess..

Thanks!