Marriage and getting married in Germany

350 posts in this topic

Well, it's complicated depending on your individual circumstances AND the Stadesamt's requirements. I only needed 1) my birth certificate translated to German (3 days, 25€) and my passport. The document proving that I have never been married before came from the U.S. Embassy but I did not have to supply that myself, they did this for me.

We had our "OK" to marry within 10 days of applying for it.

Thanks for the info! Here's hoping that the process will be just as easy when the time comes for us.

Oh my gosh I'm so lost. I am an American citizen that came to Berlin to be with my German boyfriend. I came here wish so idea when I would return home. He has recently proposed to me, and I have no desire to go back to America. I have about a month left on my tourist visa, and getting married seems so complicated here that I sort of just want to cry! Some info that would really help me:

1) How long will it take for the department of state to send a re-issued birth certificate back to me?

2) Do I have enough time to pull this off before my visa expires!?

3) Once I get all my birth certificate & apostille (no idea where to get that),what else will I need?

4) After we "seal the deal," will I be able to stay?

5) Anyone have any other suggestions to buy us time!?

Any help would be great!

Why not fly back to the states with your boyfriend and get married there? You could buy him a plane ticket with the money you'd save doing it there instead. Just some quick advice -- but there is a lot of good info here if you use the search tool.

Well, if I fly back to the states to get married, will I be able to return to Germany with him? I mean, will my visa "renew" just like that? Someone told me that I have to leave the country for as long as I want to stay when I return...is this true?

No, it isn't. Once you get married, the rules change completely.

You have to apply for the new (spouse) visa, but granting it is a matter of course - unless you have some ding on your record like overstaying a visa in the past.

Oh my gosh I'm so lost. I am an American citizen that came to Berlin to be with my German boyfriend. I came here wish so idea when I would return home. He has recently proposed to me, and I have no desire to go back to America. I have about a month left on my tourist visa, and getting married seems so complicated here that I sort of just want to cry! Some info that would really help me:1) How long will it take for the department of state to send a re-issued birth certificate back to me?2) Do I have enough time to pull this off before my visa expires!?3) Once I get all my birth certificate & apostille (no idea where to get that),what else will I need?4) After we "seal the deal," will I be able to stay?5) Anyone have any other suggestions to buy us time!?Any help would be great!

In short I would recommend you contact your Embassy and go in person to the Standesamt. Depending on circumstances (nationality, visa etc.) it all makes the process slightly different.

Posting here you will only be getting TTers different experiences (all interesting of course!) - but most likely none will be exactly your situation and potentially just confuse or panic you :)

Hello!

Yesterday, I went to Standesamt to ask about marriage registration in Germany. I tried to use my 4-month German language to communicate with the gentleman in the office. Thanks God, he was patient enough and didn't kick me out of his room :) . And, he gave me a checklist of the documents we need to provide for the application.

One of the documents we need is 'Versicherung', Affidavit, to declare that we were not married before.

Is there anyone having the experience applying this document in Germany?

Should I make appointment first and can I bring a friend to help us the translate during the process?

Your sharing will be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

Winnie

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hi WinnieLo,

I took the liberty of merging your post with the existing thread on "Marriage and getting married in Germany". Please read it in its entirety - I'm sure you'll find the answers to your questions here.

Best of luck!

El Jeffo (moderation team)

One of the documents we need is 'Versicherung', Affidavit, to declare that we were not married before.

Is there anyone having the experience applying this document in Germany?

Should I make appointment first and can I bring a friend to help us the translate during the process?

Your sharing will be much appreciated.

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Been there, done all this :-)

Tip 1) Its a damn sight cheaper and easier to apply for dual nationality UK/D than it is to get married as a Brit. I think i had to spen an extra €750,- or so in the end (In Bavaria, in 2007, YMMV)

Tip 2) The rules concerning this affadavit changed a few years ago but not all Standesbeamten know this. I had a letter from the consulate and my standebeamten called the Bavarian high court to check (in my prescence) befroe he would believe me. Now its a lot easier, you just sign a form, previously you had to get an "Unbdenklichkeitserklärung" from the UK

Tip 3) Definitely take someone to translate. The main problem is that UK marriage law has all sort of loopholes that allow you to annul the marriage if your spouse has a nasty disease you didnt know about at the wedding, or if your spouse turns out to be mad etc etc. What the germans then want you to do is sign reams of forms that declare that you abandon tehse rights under UK law and submit the the rather more limiting German law. All not difficult, just a lot iof signing and worth having a fluent speaker with you.

andy M

Oh my gosh I'm so lost. I am an American citizen that came to Berlin to be with my German boyfriend. I came here wish so idea when I would return home. He has recently proposed to me, and I have no desire to go back to America. I have about a month left on my tourist visa, and getting married seems so complicated here that I sort of just want to cry! Some info that would really help me:

1) How long will it take for the department of state to send a re-issued birth certificate back to me?

2) Do I have enough time to pull this off before my visa expires!?

3) Once I get all my birth certificate & apostille (no idea where to get that),what else will I need?

4) After we "seal the deal," will I be able to stay?

5) Anyone have any other suggestions to buy us time!?

Any help would be great!

Get married in Denmark. Read the older posts on this thread from people who have actually done it (including me).

Hi, I am a new member of this forum. I'd be glad if somebody could give me some information related to mix marriage of Indonesian female and German male. Both of us work and live in Indonesia. Since Indonesia doesn't accept marriage with two different religions then my partner and I decided we should get married in Germany instead. Another option is to get married in Australia as it is not so far away from Indonesia, but our concern is can we bring the oversea marriage certificate so that it can be registered in Germany? (Munich). If the oversea marriage certificate cannot be registered in Germany then we would get married in Germany. Will somebody be able to give me information on this matter, an official site maybe? Any thoughts/information is much appreciated. Thank you!

Hello fellow TTers,

Well, just yesterday I was on here looking for a nice wedding venue (to which I got some great suggestions, thanks!), and now I'm back to get some advice about the unfortunate legal/boring side of it all.

Now, my boyfriend and I decided to save up for the ceremony next year, but we'd like to do the legal part right away. He's a German/American dual citizen and I'm British but a resident (aka Green Card holder) of the States. I've read the forums and know how difficult the German process can be, so I'm guessing most of you will question why we even want to get married here at all, instead of in the US. Well, the truth is, we're both a bit sentimental and have no family in the States. We both cringe at the idea of having to go to a courthouse alone. So...because our time in Germany is fleeting (we leave at the end of April), we're trying to get a marriage on the books in the next few weeks.

So, this is where my frustration begins. I know I have to get a copy of my birth certificate from the UK and this won't be a problem. However, our local Standesamt is asking for a UK version of their "Ehefaehigkeitszeugnis", or in other words, the piece of paper which says that you aren't or haven't been married. I called the UK consulate in Munich today and they told me that my local Standesamt is wrong and that the need for this document from UK citizens was outlawed in 1995. Essentially they said it is no longer necessary and that I should not need it to be able to get married in Germany. So, again I call the Standesamt and tell them what the consulate told me. They put up a road block and insist that I need it. So I call back the consulate in Munich and tell the poor woman (who is speaking to me for the second time) on the other end that I am being told that I must produce something of this sort. She again flat out says that my local Standesamt is wrong and that there is absolutely nothing they can do for me. She encourages me to tell my local Standesamt to call the Landratsamt to have the law verified.

At this point I'm feeling really backed into a corner, so I decide to call the British embassy in Berlin. There, I am told the same thing and they say the best they can do is send a copy of the official decree from the Oberlandesgericht which outlawed the need for a Ehefaehigkeitszeugnis for UK citizens to prove to them that this is the case. But then I am told something about how this will need to go through the courts before I can be cleared for marriage.

The bottom line is - I'm really confused and I'm wondering if any of my fellow TTers have ever been through anything like this? I would be curious to hear about your experiences and how long it took before you were cleared for marriage. I'm wondering if I have any chance of being able to get married here before the end of April.

Thanks in advance for your input!

YOu have to go to the embassy and swear before a civil servent you are not married back home, they then issue a document that is accepted. I had to do the same as an american, it is not an issue costs about 40 euro.

Just ask for the paper and pay the fee. It is easier then fighting the registrar.

Also marriage in a few weeks may be very unlikely. Out whole process took 3 months. YOu have to submit paperwork and then await a judges approval.

What the consulate & embassy told you is correct.

You can shelve any ideas of things happening "quickly" in Germany!

Get married in the UK. Getting married is supposed to be a nice experience and it doesn't appear that you're going to have that here with your current circumstance.

Thank so much for the honest replies! It sounds like a quick process isn't going to happen. I guess we'll know for sure within the next week. The local Standesamt here said they could proceed without the Ehefaehigkeitszeugnis, but that it would probably take it little bit to pass through the court. We were told that if we could get our other documents together by next Tuesday that it might all work out...but now I'm beginning to have serious doubts :(

As a British citizen you do not need a Ehefaehigkeitszeugnis but American citizens do I think. I got married here last year and hold both British and New Zealand passports and was told not to mention the kiwi one and just proceed as a British citizen. No real issues, just make sure that the copy of your birth certificate is less than 6 months old and officially translated - pay the money and wait for it to go through courts. I found it all fairly straightforward - took a while and cost a few euros but was no issue. I was dealing with the Munich Standesamnt though and they were pretty clued up and helpful even though we were getting married elsewhere in Germany. Feel free to PM me if you need any more info!

Dave

Having said all that, I think it took about 3 or 4 weeks to go through the courts after we had all the paperwork together so a wedding before the end of April is pretty much out of the question :( (we did the legal bit and the ceromony all on the same day and can reccomend a great location by Bodensee if needed!)