Marriage and getting married in Germany

350 posts in this topic

We got married in Maui - a hell of a lot more romantic than getting married in Germany.

Making it legal here was easy, if a bit drawn out.. Getting a copy of the apostille from Honolulu was a comedy of errors, but only cost $14 bucks (but silly me I paid $15, which made it take 6 weeks longer because they were confused about what to do with the extra dollar), and after getting the translation done (several hundred bucks) it was legal in the federal republic of deutschland.

On another note..

if you have a need to notarize anything here, beware, it's expensive and takes a long time. I had to have some papers notarized a couple years back.. Turns out it was cheaper and faster for me to fly to Washington DC and have it notarized there.

No Kidding.. in DC, it took 10 Minutes and the notary cost $3. With a discount airfare of $545 (direct flight), the total damage was under $600 (roughly €500 euro), and I got it done in a couple days, and got to hang out with some friends in DC.

Best quote I got from any notar in Munich was €625 with a wait time of 4 weeks.

NOT in Kansas anymore

Hmm, if you have an apostille, you should not need a translation. The Apostille serves the purpose of a translation. We certainly didn't get one, just took the Apostille to the KVR and we were registered.

What did you get translated Jeffn?

For all the US expats, here is a good source for requirements of getting married in Germany. I haven't been through the process as we will be getting married in the States, but it's a good start, I think.

We got married at the Standesamt in December last year after loads of paperwork and legalities. the first thing people said when we got there was "When are you due?" I am 55 kg for gods sake. I was like, due for what? And they were like, "your baby, you are pregnant, arent u? thats why you are getting married right?" I was, no, we are getting married cos we love each other! And they looked at me funny. I said, please feel free to come by and see me in a few months and then ask me again! They didnt believe me of course and when we got married in church in June this year in my hometown, the germans were, yup she´s got a bun in the oven...geez, the wedding was in june, i am still not pregnant and they think its an insult that i am not!!! Turns out, i wasnt the only one who had this experience... :P

Has anyone married here in Germany, if so what are the pitfalls? We are planning to marry sometime next year here and now want to start making plans.

We need advice on venues, Church tax and basically everything that we have not thought of yet!!

Many thanks!!

Topics merged by admin

The pitfall would be the actual getting married part. Nevermind the mountain of paperwork. :ph34r:

The woman in the Standesamt here was impolite and slow. She couldn´t find the Anglican church in her computer (not exactly unknown here, there is one in Hamburg) I think you only have to pay church tax if you belong to a german church - I´ve been here 16 years and have certainly never paid it. It took about 6 Months to get everything organised. The bloke who translated my english documents recommended going to Denmark and getting married there. The actual ceremony was very quick. You don´t need any witnesses by the way. You can also keep your name.

Basically you have to have alot of patience and expect to fill in alot of forms.

Sparks - I will be getting married in November and the procedure is:

Go to the S'amt where you intend to get married with the following paperwork:

- translation off Birth Certificate (has to be from a certified translator - ask the consulate or PM me for the list)

- Passport

- Aufenthaltsbescheinigung (from the KVR)

- Lohnbescheinigung (Pay Slip)

fill out a ton of forms - this all has to be sent to the relevant Oberlandesgericht to approve and this takes between 6 and 8 weeks - pay money (fee's depends on income hence the Salary statement)

Oberlandesgericht will send these back to the S'amt in and then you can pay more money then and only then can you set a date

I can't advise on location as we are getting married 300 k's North of Munich

re Church Tax if your not paying it already and don't intend to get married in a Church don't worry about it.

If you need anymore info just PM me

18 years ago we went through all this when we (my wife is German) got married in Wedel...

Standesbeamtin was very nice...

Greatest issue was around getting my paperwork (dubious furriner) and then

I recall one had to get some Amstgericht to agree that I was fit to marry...

My wife was very annoyed that they charged a fair sum of money for a certificate

which contained typing mistakes...

So far we are still going strong (my wife says its because she doesnt understand my jokes). :rolleyes:

Good luck Mat. I actually found it pretty easy to get married in Germany. Yes, it's an amazing assortment of papers you need to get, but that's it really. Once you get them and get them translated, you are more or less good to go, it's straightforward.

So, what about the legalities of a German marriage back home (i.e. for me, in the States)? Am I required to notify any authorities in order for the marriage to be recognized in the States?

i am an american who married a german... we were married in a lovely schloss. it was also a standesamt... schloss hirschhorn. he is a dual national by birth. and was raised in germany. the only problems we ahd getting our paperwork together here in the states was that fact that ive never known my father. everything else went very smoothly... even with the fact that i had been married and divorced once before. after the wedding whe we got back to the states the only place i had to show our marriage certificate was at the ss office to change my name...

Hi

Just spotted this thread. Realise it may be a long time dead, but if anyone has any experience of the Oberlandesgericht and waiting time for documents to be returned, that would be great! This marriage lark is a merry-go-round in Germany, eh!

So, my fiance, who is German and me (UK) are getting married this year in Brandenburg. As we are "Wohnhaft" in Hamburg we have registered here at the Standesamt and have got all the necessary documents (up to date Uk Birth Certificate with certified Apostille, Passports, pay slips, Ledigkeitsbescheinigung) which now need to be sent to the Oberlandesgericht in Hamburg for verification. There was a small hiccough to begin with, in that we were given slightly misleading information at first and set a date for the ceremony (In Brandenburg) to take place this summer BEFORE we realised that the process could be a little longer than we were told. As we were only made aware of the need for all the documents to be sent to the Oberlandesgericht recently, we have rushed all the documents in and submitted them this week to be sent off to the high court, desperately hoping that the good folk up there will whip their stamps out quickly and give us the seal of approval in time! If anyone out there has had experience of how long the Oberlandesgericht process takes for a UK national marrying a native German, and how much it will (approximately) cost me (I'm told between 10 and 300 Euros) for the privilege of being "befreit" by the courts, that would be an enormous help

Many thanks again in advance

Wild_Swan

just went through the same process, actually went quite well. The oberlandsgericht took 2 weeks to aprove application and cost me 70euros.

Most of my time was gathering documents from u.k

The whole process seemed quite daunting at first but once it got moving, like i said went good.