Marriage and getting married in Germany

350 posts in this topic

Thanks Elf,

Yes tomorrow we are starting to map the Deutsche Bahn as we were before using Helicopter flown imagery.

The old boss started up a new company in Oberhaching called Inphoris in one of these business parks. Nice and green...lots of trees. We have been, last Weds and Thurs, and also today - lifting boxes and boxes and boxes of stuff to the new place. My colleague drove a 7 tonne lorry which was a scary laugh. Today i drove 5 digitising tables to Depnie Muenchen NW which I had funnily enough mapped using aerial photogrammetric techniques (not me personally we have guys who sit at mega Zeiss workstations for that).

So we steam on again. Just as I was convinved Germany was closing down...

Opa and I are pretty modern, hip, well travelled grandparents and Opa is German. Don't put all your eggs in one basket!

We married in the German embassy whilst we were working abroad. The paperwork was horrendous, also from the British side. The British embassy fees were 5 times that of the Germans. Therefore, the Scot in me opted for the cheaper deal, I still got the same man.

Good luck to all you newlyweds and "verloben"!

POD? Naaa, I went cheap and got the Behringer V-Amp II. Tried both, they sounded the same so I bought the one that was half the price and came with a foot pedal. Both were amazing.

Nogo,

How much did that Behringer thingy cost? Sounds like another toy I could pester 'Er indoors that I want to buy, after my telescope.

don't get married at the Standesamt!!! :o

they have an office next door to the English Garden, nice building with pillars outside.. much nicer. can't remember the st. name... but you should ask to get married there!

oh, and after all the months of stress, you'll be in and out of the office within 5 minutes - it's dead quick B)

Right then,

Paperwork in Ordnung.

Home straight. Mandelstrasse 24th. Schwieger-parents organised the Cake, the restaurant, all paid by them. Cool.

All I have to do is turn up and remember my lined "I do"!

Jeremy

Well yesterday I tied the knot.

Beautiful day, not too hot nor cold. Did it in the Standesamt in Mandelstrasse. Quiet famliy affair, lots of private but nice moments. Very peaceful. I can now look at my woman and say simply "Wife" !!

Recommend the experience. Boss gave me and my lady flowers!

Now back to the hurly burly of the office...

Congratulations Jeremy and Wife !

Beer is on me next time we manage to hook up.

So where are the photos ?

Very happy for you Jeremy. And now we all know that it is possible to get through the paperwork here in Germany. I guess nothing stops love...

I can now look at my woman and say simply "Wife" !!

Surely "Wife, go and fetch me a beer" would be better?

No Noddy, it is actually the opposite. I bring in the beers into the living room and also often hot chocolate. Hot chocolate? What a Spiesser I hear them say! After years of alcohol driven debauchery and staggering home in faylight after parties in Saudi, before I settled down I can extol the virtues of the simpler stabler pleasures in life. Take things easier, and let that tummy relax out an inch or two! :)

Jeremy

Is that a bald patch you have there, jeremy, or just a thumb print? :) Congrats, by the way.

Thought I'd dig up this old topic since it's all new to me.

Planning on getting married before the end of the year, but this apostille business is really confusing me!!!

Can anyone advise?

On my last trip to the US, I was issued an official birth certificate from the New York City Department of Health. Now, isn't this "official" enough to be German-approved? Apparently, I have to get this approved by the next highest bureaucratic office.

Does anyone know what this would be?

Has anyone managed to do this from overseas? I won't be flying back to the US anytime soon.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone who's been through this!

:wacko:

I checked into this last year sometime, and from what I read it seems to be much easier to just go get married in Vienna. Apparently, the Austrians aren't so crazy on the paperwork. I just did a quick google check and didn't find it right away, but last year I found a great website where they do all the planning for you.

Sorry, that's all I know. We ended up taking an around-the-world trip to visit our families and stopped off in Vegas for a date with Elvis. It was a lot easier. :D

Hiya

One cheeky way of getting married in Germany (sort of) would be to have your civil ceremony in Salzburg. Nice and near, very pretty (yes I know what don_riina will say but what the heck) or you could chose one of the nearby towns as well. There are a lot of embassies and consulates there so you can get your papers together quickly (probably) and if you plan well enough, you can plan a church wedding (if so wanted) very close to the civil ceremony.

Austrian civil ceremonies do not necessarily take place in the registry office - it is also possible to get married on a hillside or something (so if you have always loved "The Sound of Music" here is your chance ;) ).

And the nice thing about the church ceremony in Austria is..."Kirchenbeitrag" replaces Kirchensteuer, it is not collected by the state and only by the church directly from its' members. So it is sometimes possible to get married in a church without paying church tax. Even better, some churches on the Austrian/German border such as a Catholic church in Gröss Gmain/Bayerisch Gmain (Salzburger Land/Berechtesgarden) sit on the border so are legally in Austria but with a service from a Bavarian Father, I went to 2 such weddings in 2002 in fact (which is why I know this because I am not planning a wedding now or in the near future before anyone asks! ;) ).

The Confetti.uk guide to marrying in Austria has a lot of good info.

I'm sure that it will be beautiful regardless of where it is (and if you are looking for a cheap wedding dress, the ones in Debenhams (UK department store) are in the sale now and are actually quite nice.

:) Katrina

Finally something I know something about:

The apostille is a form of legalisation applied to official (often notarial) documents. A load of countries signed the Hague Agreement in 1969 (or was it 63?) which means that they will accept a document as being legal and authentic if it bears the apostille. In the UK the Foreign and Commonwealth Office issue these, and in the U.S. the competent Court/secretary of state can do it - i.e. the relevant Court of the State from which the document was issued out of - so if you have a Californian birth cert, you'll need to apply to the Secretary of State in California to get the apostille attached. Just do a Google search to get the right address - in CA it's $20.

There are sort of ways around this - trickier for Germany, but in England I would (as a Notary) draft a certificate in English that doesn't say very much - something like "I have no reason to believe that this document is a fake and so it should be given full faith in any judicature" and then have it apostilled - that MIGHT be enough to con the Germans, but of course if they realise it was an English Notary, there might be probelms... Could go on and on about the apostille and notarisation, but I won't here - if you have any quick questions drop me a PM. Last time I said this I got quite a lot of enquiries though, and I'm afraid I have neither the time, inclination or knowledge to help everybody, so nice n easy questions only please!

EDIT: Further to Jeremy's comments, an apostille is something anybody can obtain - esp. in the U.S. or the U.K where it can be done by post quite easily. Over here that's lots of fagging around with Gericht this and Gericht that. Remember, the apostille though MUST come from the country that the authenticating Notary practices in or from the Country where the official document was issued.

I found the process of getting married here to be quite straightforward once you have the pieces of paper. The most important is called the Apostille which is a document which gives official credibility to your birth certificate in your country of domicile. It has to be obtained by a Notaire. admin note: he means Notar / notary.

My experience was very fuss free. Meal after was at Seehaus in English Garden. Recommend it.

I found the process of getting married here to be quite straightforward once you have the pieces of paper

Agreed.

In fact, you actually need less pieces of paper to get married in Germany than you need to register a car...

:rolleyes:

I still recommend getting married in the US (at least if one partner is from there) -- no Ehefähigkeitszeugnis or notary stuff necessary. Two passports, $55, and you're done. (San Diego, CA, City Hall, 15 minutes.) Well, another $30 (or was it 13?) for the Apostille (so no translation necessary once we got back here).