Marriage and getting married in Germany

350 posts in this topic

and partly to draw out a reply from a more knowledgeable individual about how it works in Germany

The legally experienced members do not need drawing out; they have managed very well over the last ten years.

Seriously, if you do not know the answer it only confuses people to hear about other jurisdictions.

Well, like I said, I just wanted to talk about whether things were different in Germany. Now I know that it's not welcome, so lesson learned.

If there's ever a next time, just send me a PM and let me know there's an issue. Kindness goes a long way with a lot of people.

When a member is giving incorrect or misleading advice it is important to mention this in public so that other members are aware of the fact. The alternative would be removing an incorrect post and sending a PM, true. But when a barrowload of posts needs removing this messes up the continuity of the topic/s.

You are not being singled out for doing this; it has happened before and will surely happen again.

Look, I see what you're saying and I've already agreed to refrain from talking about the law/rules in other places as other members are concerned that it confuses topics. That's fine.

But I still maintain that ripping me over a post here (that wasn't actually wrong) about an underlying issue that I wasn't aware of just wasn't the way to go about it. I'm saying that as something to take onboard for future newer posters who go astray if there's ever a problem that a friendly PM and a deletion of the incorrect post (or a crossing out of the wrong advice within a larger post) is probably the better (nicer) solution. Otherwise you'll end up with a very correct Toytown but no new posters because no one wants to put a foot wrong.

And I guess that now future visitors can read the previous two pages as a cautionary tale every time this marriage topic gets dredged up.

I've already agreed to refrain from talking about the law/rules in other places

Places other than Australia? That's mighty white of you.

as other members are concerned that it confuses topics

And by "it confuses topics" you actually mean "because I'm so completely, utterly, fucking wrong that even flat-Earthers point at me and laugh about how wrong I am."

> That's fine.

Apparently not.

> But I still maintain that ripping me over a post here

In which I was so wrong that following my advice could have dangerous repercussions and leave you seriously fucked.

(that wasn't actually wrong)

Except that it was.

bout an underlying issue that I wasn't aware of

But nevertheless was determined to show how much I know anyway even though I know nothing about the matter as has been pointed out by lawyers who working with German law and are practicing in Germany and who also speak German and understand the nuances of the language.

> just wasn't the way to go about it.

That is very much a minority opinion. Would you have preferred being sued so badly you don't dare set foot in the EU?

> I'm saying that as something to take onboard for future newer posters who go astray

As I try to recall someone who has led people further astray than you, I'm at a loss. I think you actually managed to beat Darknight, a dubious honour.

Had I stumbled across such a cornucopia of wrongness when I arrived or when I was facing divorce, I'd just about now be getting off the travel ban list but remain incapable of obtaining even sponsored residence. Others have done their best to prevent that happening to anyone else because of your willful ignorance and incipient need to defecate all over threads which require meticulous knowledge on a variety of subjects, all of which carry with them huge potential consequences.

> a friendly PM and a deletion of the incorrect post (or a crossing out of the wrong advice within a larger post) is probably the better (nicer) solution.

No, it probably ISN'T. The best solution is NOT TO POST WRONG SHIT TO BEGIN WITH, you dolt.

You claim to be a lawyer so how is it you don't know this:

When you find yourself in a hole,

the first rule is to

STOP DIGGING AND

PUT DOWN THE FUCKING SHOVEL!

woof.

Most marriages wouldn't last long if a couple spends days ripping each other to shreds.

Just reading it made me want it to stop.

Yeah, probably just risked some negs for that opinion. I'm aware this is just the "style" of some people on TT to respond, but for today make it go away.

So to get back on topic then ..when my fresh new wedding cert with apostille gets delivered next week do I need to get it translated before we hot foot to the standesamt?

<-@

@suffolkrose, Congrats on your marriage!

I didn't need my wedding certificate w/apostille translated... they accepted the English-only version. Hope it works for you!

@suffolkrose: it depends on your Standesamt, your situation and the person you are dealing with. Research for my personal situation has shown the answer to be yes & no. (I've made assumptions from your query as you've given no background detail.)

Personally I was a the Potsdam Standesamt yesterday, arranging my marriage to a German lady. I was advised by the Standesamt lady, that I require a TRANSLATED Marriage Certificate from a Divorce from over 10 years ago, despite having the recently issued Single Certificate and Divorce Certificate (and yes both those need to be translated too). Although she said I may not need it to be approved, she advise to get it in order to prevent any issue later in the approval process. For me this is a blessing, as I don't wan the big day ruined based on not having the right piece of paper.

As an aside, I was also instructed that I will also require a spoken translator on the day!

Go to your Standesamt and ask. They are really there to help. The reason the person you speak with there will instruct you to provide certain documents, is to ensure your Marriage is approved and to make the process as smooth as possible. They will advise exactly what documents they believe you should need. They themselves do not approve the Marriage, but another area in the bureaucracy and the requirements can vary in the different Stadesamt jurisdiction areas.

Good luck! Let us know how you go, so as to assist others in the same situation. :)

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I came because I was searching for the information about getting married in Germany. I believe our case takes the longest time to get the paperwork done. Next month will be exactly ONE year!!! I hope no one would have same experience.

I'm a Vietnamese and he is German. We decided to live in Germany after getting married, so we started our registration (in October 2011) at the German Consulate in Viet Nam. Two months later I applied for a visa to go to Germany, and it's approved a month later. Meanwhile, I got visa in December 2011 and flew to Germany in the hope that we could get married in Germany as it's been 3 months since we submitted our paperwork and it was sent to the Standesamt in Germany...

As I have been here, in Germany, they asked for many more paper which was not easy for me to get from Viet Nam... but we managed to submit all what we were asked for... and now, next month will be the 12th month. The last time we were required to submit one more document and were told that it would take 2-4 months to get it investigated and approved by the Consulate. Yesterday, we asked the Standesamt for its status, today got the answer that they got nothing from the Consulate in VN...

I was wondering is it a normal case that it takes a year to get the paperwork done so you could get married? or just me to think that a year could make a lot of changes, even the wish to get married?

Bebe

..progress report

so yes we went to standesamt who accepted English certificate with aposstile although they were arguing rather loudly that we need some special book ( for this i need all my previous documents so to apease the Herman Ive re ordered a couple of old certificates which we didnt need to marry in the uk but in Germany you need every certificate ever issued )we then had to go to our local town hall to register the marriage there, done but I cant use my married name untill my passport is changed. so yes gettng married in england is better but dont think getting it all recognized here is a picnic.

<-@

Which is why we married in Denmark ;-)

We had no problem getting anything recognised here but, then again, neither of us is German.

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

I am an Englishman living in England. I plan to marry my German fiance in June who is currently living in Germany. We intend to settle down in the UK but we would like to be married in Germany (my fiance's father is a preacher) in her local church. We understand that we need a German state wedding first before the church wedding. My fiance has contacted her local Register Office and has been given a list of documents that I need to provide for this, one of which is entitled 'Aufenthaltsbescheinigung der Meldebehörde'. Can anyone tell me what this is and how I can obtain one?

Thanks in advance

Good afternoon all,

I'm thinking this may be the right thread for my two questions :huh:

Background information:

I have dual citizenship (German & Australian)and was born in Australia. My partner is German. We have a child. We are defacto. We are considering, and hopefully will, move to Germany.

1. Is there any benefit to being married in Germany as opposed to defacto?

2. Considering I have German citizenship, will I have the same running around to do if we decide to get married in Germany as the posters above have had to do?!

Many thanks.

@ katajena:

1. As has been mentioned numerous times all over this site, a "defacto" relationship holds no value in Germany. Either you're married, and enjoy the benefits of marriage, or you're single. Punkt.

2. If you have a German passport and birth certificate, you should be fine at the Standesamt. Be aware that any of your documents from Australia will still have to be translated into German.

Hi techgirl,

1. sorry about that then, clearly i didn't do enough homework. My partner (who is german) says that social pension considers defacto and marriage similarly (i guess cohabiting), but for tax purposes you can only be considered married or single - as some examples. Was interested in whether other TT users had similar experiences.

2. As stated, I have an Australian birth certificate.

hi all

so, i'm britsh, boyfriend is german and he (finally) proposed last monday after 7 years and 2 kids! I've lived here in germany for 6 years and neither of us have been married before.

we're aiming for a standesamt wedding this october, locally with close family members and selected friends.

QUESTIONS

how the heck do we go about marrying? do i need special paperwork from the uk?

do we need to change the children's birth certificates? they already have my partners name but obviously my maiden name is on them. is that an issue?

do i need to register our marriage in the UK? our kids aren't registered in the UK.

I would read through this thread more thoroughly but i don't know what applies to me/us.

thanks in advance

(excuse my lowercase typing. i currently have my 3 week old baby on my chest)

Hi SquirrelKate, and congrats on the proposal! It really is best to just start at the beginning and read through the thread - I realise it's a bit long, but it's worth it in terms of information gathered.

Yes, you will need special paperwork, it will need to be translated and with an apostille - but this is all explained in the previous pages.

What do you mean by "how do I become German"? Are you thinking about taking on German nationality?