Marriage and getting married in Germany

350 posts in this topic

Right then,

We are about to get married in Germany. We both went to the Standesamt this morning and got the list of bits of paper you need from a big woman who was very nice.

We are off to the UK on Saturday so we need a six month old newly printed birth certificate and something called an apostille. Does anyone know what this thing is, apart from some biblical figure?

Anyone else been through this process? I have a theory that they make this paperwork so crap that it discourages bigamy. Who the hell would want to marry twice in this country once you have been through these hoops?

Jeremy.

From what I remember the "apostille" is a certification on the back of your documents you get from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to say they are original and correct.

I think !??!!

If you get married in Denmark the certificate they give you is valid for both the German and UK authorities. Might be worth looking into if you want to avoid all the paper-chasing involved in doing it here.

Having just gone through the joys of marrying in German...an apostile is an official stamp or sticker from the appropriate governing entity verifying that your paperwork is indeed official...I'm American so I had to have one from the Secretary of State from my home state on some legal papers as well as on my birth certificate.

We looked into Denmark but they seemed to have just as many requirements for paperwork as Germany did but that could be because I am not an EU citizen.

Good luck to you Jeremy.

mate of mine got one from the belgian embassy in london

so all you need to do now is become belgian and you know where to go

dead easy

J

Jeremy I think you should marry in UK. It is so much easier. We tried to get married here and after countless paperwork, money spent on papers and translations and flights to UK to get paperwork from different authorities they still rejected our application. It took 6 months to get a rejection. So we got married within a month in the UK and it was fab! So much less stress and we were able to chose a date within 2 weeks of giving notice!

I can confirm what matahari08 said from what friends have told me. Too expensive and time consuming here.

Maybe you have loads of German relatives here to please: Omas, Opas etc. They won't be too pleased about the flight to the UK though. Unless they're pretty hip and dig the trip to the UK. I've yet to meet a hip German grandparent, however.

I think you'll find brits more prepared to come to Germany, than the other way around.

You are right about the Omas and Opas! :P But you could have a party or some kind of blessing in Munich after the UK do...I know it may seem like a hassle but that is what we did. Had a smallish do in London and a party here in a restaurant or something...

Hoddy and Jeremy:

:unsure:

I might really be relying on your help next year if you are both still about. I am getting married here too. I must be nuts. I am hoping that my german woman can sort it all out, but you'll both surely know it all!!! Good luck to you Jeremy, and Hoddy, hope its all going well for you too!

I have EXCELLENT methods of renumeration.

BTW Jeremy, you mentioned in another post that you were playing about woth Fruity Loops. Looks like quite a fun program, but a little baffling. Know where I can get any manuals/starter guides?

don,

2 things I am wiser about already.

1. Marriage in Gretna Green is crap. No more romantic quick over the anvil. We called in there and it is now a horrible tourist trap. Expect to marry in what looks like a Little Chef, emerge from the ceremony with a bored bagpiper and just generally avoid all the tourists.

2. The Apostille took us a lot of driving to get and is done by a Notaire in Britain who sends it off to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London to get a stamp on it to say that you wewre actually born etc...

Tomorrow we are at the Standesamt. More fun beckons. Hopefully we get to talk to the nice lady with the massive chest again.

Jeremy.

Don, again,

Fruity Loops is complicated. I think I went to their website and downloaded their 90 page Getting Started book in PDF format. My girlfriend printed it off at work for me.

Once you have been thru the tutorial it really is easier. I use mine in conjunction with Cubase, which I have also spent a long time learning.

Jeremy.

I was playing around with fruityloops a bit last night. Its really pretty good, but I think I need to get a MIDI controller keyboard, or preferably a midi pickup for a guitar. I haven't used a MIDI pickup for about 15 years, so I'm hoping they may be useable by now! My early efforts in getting a guitar and a computer to talk were OK, but the technology was a little patchy back then.

You should go to The Music Shop in Moosach. It is a MASSIVE toyshop filled with guitars and drums and EVERYTHING a musician could want. I bought an EDIROL USB midi connector and a Behringer mixer from there. They also sell cheap midi Yamaha keyboards.

My main software app is Cubase. I play FL as a VST plugin through a bog standard Aiwa stereo. This si my layout. I have a lot of fun playiong with it. Pity I lack any real talent. Mind you I watched a band last night in Olympic Park who had a great bassist but a very average guitarist who relied on stage gimmicks like setting fire to his guitar to entertain. He was fun to watch though but didn't light the candles, so to speak.

God I got pissed last night. I was in the doghouse when I got in I can tell you!

Yup technology has picked up since then...

I got an effects unit that I can plug directly into my stereo (and therefore computer line-in) instead of mic'ing my amp (which is ugly and heavy and loud and bust etc). Simulates every cabinet and amp you can think of and is quiet as a mouse. Sounds amazing. About 10 years ago it would have (a) not been possible (B) been $3000.

Cost all of € 170 and came with a metal footswitch!!!

I agree with Jeremy, The Music Shop (behind Conrad electronics, opposite from the Olympia Einkaufszentrum) is pretty good. Ask someone there about the midi guitar pickups - bound to be loads these days.

If I gave the impression that I could play the guitar in the last mail, then I lied. I pick the think up twice a year.

Don,

I am also crap at it, but I still love learning all about it. I was heavily into it in the winter but since our holidays seem to have dried up. I learned to play the right chords for most fave songs but wanted to learn scales and attempt to solo, ready for when I hit the stage...NOT! :)

Marriage in Germany part 2 comes...

Jeremy.

By the way NoGO is that box of yours called the POD from Line 6?

Right then the saga continues...

Thursday saw us early in the Standesamt in Rupert Bear Street waiting with all the others. When they opened the doors evreryone ran like hell to their respective offices. Even though we were first at the door I still was too slow and got third place.

This time we got a totally bored clerk who had an interesting poster on his wall about Scottish tartans. We presented all out paperwork and he asked loads of daft questions. The silliest was being asked "What is your monthly salary after tax"?

Then they presented a list of songs you can have at the wedding. Fixed of course here in Germany. You can't ask for your own choice. There's classivcal stuff of course to please the Spiesers, but the oddest is Hells Bels by AC/DC.

While we were drinking a cappuchino downstairs I saw a couple emerging from a room with wht looked like wedding clothes on. To my shock and my girlfriend's laughter I realised that we would get married in what looks like a Job Centre! I cannot imaging emerging from this ceremony in the sterile office environment drinking a Proseco with Hells Bells being played!

Pity I found a job two days ago. When we marry I might have wanted to use up my two strips on the Streifenkarte to sign up for work...

It would be different I suppose...maybe you should also think of a suitable haircut to go...

I take it you have actually been accepted to marry? If so congratulations! Apart from the questions about salary, I was also asked to prove I had not been married before (?), prove I did not have a criminal record :ph34r: and was questioned as to whether I wanted to marry because I wanted German Citizenship ans show my bank statements and savings from the UK to prove that I would not be able to support myself for a while here!

But I guess that is Freising for you...Are you both still going to marry here? ;)

"Are you both still going to marry here?"

I think it's an all or nothing deal really. Two people are usually required for a wedding ceremony. :P