Blacklisting clubs

27 posts in this topic

Hi Flint.

I just saw this topic came up again and being the person about whom the Munich thread was about I thought I could share a few things.

First of all sorry that it happened, sounds like it got out of hand really quick. My experience was more that my friends were let in, I was kept behind and then picked out of line to be told to go...which sucked for my friends too. Hasn't happened since to that degree but I remember it well but now I can look back with more clarity.

Secondly, I sense a weird theme in a few replies who seem to think there were more factors involved, and possibly nothing to do with race etc. True, and most of us have factored in that possibility, but most of us have a pretty keen sense when it does factor and if you weren't there you probably can't comment, especially if he was the only one not allowed in: btw good on your German friends for standing up. Having said that and to be fair most people usually mean well when they ask about other factors and they should. Most people who've experience racism know it when they see/experience it so it's largely a trust between parties rather than convincing issue. There's a card called a race card which Im still waiting for in the mail, wish I could play it and win but don't know how lol. I've worked hard for everything I've got, except for people thinking I'm smart just because I'm indian: WHICH IS AWESOME.

Lastly, I think attitudes in Germany have a long way to go yet. I don't blame them or especially doormen, who are most often than not doing this part time, are under a lot of stress and some under directives of the management to let certain ratios of people in (whatever plan they have). Atleast that's how I handle it but its a pretty dirty non secret that it happens at clubs in Germany. Chin up.

I have a friend that this happens too. Before you commented about your white friends getting in I was going to ask if you were black. What my friend has found out is that if he carries his work ID they will let him in. It's not that they aren't letting him in because he's black but it's because he's black he's American, and because he's American that he is in the Army, and they don't like American Army. I am told that they are known to cause trouble and fights in clubs. So in an ass backwards way it's not just a racist thing. Then again there maybe those issues out there also. We are in Germany. I have been shocked many times by the things that people feel are acceptable to say here. Sorry that you have to deal with this. If it makes you feel any better I don't go to them either.

any chance that the bouncers themselves aren't racist but they're pretty sure a number of people inside are?

Maybe they just didn't feel like having to spatula your carcass off the dance floor later on in the evening.

I don't understand why I have to go to a place that some uneducated people will decide if I can enter or not in a place by just judging my clothes, my hair, my colors etc... I just don't go at all, and I find other places that they just let me in.

Regensburg seem to be a bit better when it comes to letting people in. And it doesn't matter what color you are, people are either idiots or uneducated. Go to a house party or a village party. Ask your German friends, they know where its happening.