English Immersion Primary schools In Göttingen?

12 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I read that there are what is called English Immersion schools in Hannover. Do they exist in Göttingen? Are there many? Would anyone recommend those schools, or would you recommend putting children into regular German schools? Also, does anyone have information on the documents needed to enroll a child in school from the US or other foreign country outside of Europe? Any and all information I am grateful for. Thank you!

Sincerely,

Jena

Hello All,

I read that there are what is called English Immersion schools in Hannover. Do they exist in Göttingen? Are there many? Would anyone recommend those schools, or would you recommend putting children into regular German schools? Also, does anyone have information on the documents needed to enroll a child in school from the US or other foreign country outside of Europe? Any and all information I am grateful for. Thank you!

Given the singular chance to allow your child to become fluent in a foreign language, why oh why would you want to dump them somehwere where everyone speaks broken english?

Dear Poq,

Please do not get me wrong..I would love my children to be fluent in German. They are fluent in both English and in Dutch. I was just curious if it would be better education wise for my children to be in a school where they could understand what is going on. I worry over my oldest child (9 years), that he will really struggle with reading and writing. He is top of his class here and I am just being a mom, and worrying too much I guess. We will be there for only 2 years. I don't know anything about the school systems in Germany, so I was thinking that an English Immersion would teach in English and German so that way they 'ooze' into the German language instead of going to school the first several weeks and not knowing what anyone is saying. Maybe you can enlighten me on the German school systems and I won't have to be as nervous! :) Thanks.

The American school system is in the dark ages compared to the German school system. If you want to send your kids to an English-speaking school you will be paying at least €10.000/term and the quality is lower.

If you are going to live in Germany, you (and your kids) need to speak German. Send them to the local public school and it will help them a lot more than sticking them in a private school which insulates them from society.

Germany allows you to pick any school you like. It is not based on how rich your neighbourhood is (as it is in the US). Do your research on all the local schools and see which one will be the best fit. Good luck

The only elementary school in Göttingen that teaches in English is the Leineberg Schule.

They don't yet have webpages in English, but perhaps this will be of interest to you:

http://www.gs-leineberg.de/flycms/Schwerpunkt+Englisch/CDFZ0.html?SID=R35P0Nr2be2e

There is also a kindergarten that is in both English and German, ASC. They work with the Leineberg Schule. At the high school level, Felix Klein Gymnasium has program for instruction in English and that program might also extend into their junior high school classes. All three of these schools work together to help each other. And to the extent that my cafe for English Speakers (Hometown Soul Cafe) can support them, we do.

Jeff Winchell

Personally, I think it depends on some of your long term goals. You say you will only be in Germany for 2 years and you don't want it to disrupt the children too much. That makes sense. If you can, perhaps take them to visit a local German school and see how they feel about trying to find their way around in German. Dutch and English is a nice combination to come at German from.

International schools might be the best option if you want them taught in English. What the other man said about finding a good fit - that makes sense.

I'm a mother to. We're dealing with similar issues. My 'sprog' is "Ameri-Kraut" ; I'm his American mother; his father is a German who went dual citizen and his stepmother is also American. Pretty funny...so, I got the idea in my head that it would be really cool to raise a dual citizen in both nations...and we've covered the American part already.

How did this happen? Foreign exchange students at Middlesex University in England. If you're not going to graduate school, don't even bother. It won't even make sense.

On 4/21/2010, 3:22:21, jpp888 said:

The American school system is in the dark ages compared to the German school system. If you want to send your kids to an English-speaking school you will be paying at least €10.000/term and the quality is lower.

You live in an alternate reality.  German schools rank quite low in the world and well below American schools.  And that's with our problem schools.  The good schools are world's better than anything in Germany.  This is typical German arrogance.  Germans just believe they are great and he er check the facts.  Actually, the German system is in shambles.

Furthermore, you are completely wrong a out being able to change schools.  It is extremely beaurocratic and virtually impossible to switch schools from the one assigned by neighborhood.  We live in a very nice home but we are on the wrong side of the line and have been trying for months to switch schools.  

We have to get approval from his teacher, the principal of his school, the principal of the other school, the intended teacher at the other school, the city and the Bundesland.  

On 4/21/2010, 3:22:21, jpp888 said:

If you are going to live in Germany, you (and your kids) need to speak German. Send them to the local public school and it will help them a lot more than sticking them in a private school which insulates them from society.

Germany allows you to pick any school you like. It is not based on how rich your neighbourhood is (as it is in the US). Do your research on all the local schools and see which one will be the best fit. Good luck

German schools are terrible.  They are ranked surprisingly low in the world.  Germans believe thzt they are best at everything, so naturally, their schools are best.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Germans are falling further and further behind every year too.

13 minutes ago, Luebeck said:

You live in an alternate reality.  German schools rank quite low in the world and well below American schools. 

Oh, really? Time for the reality check – mean scores in PISA 2015:

Science

USA: 496 

Germany: 509

Reading

USA: 497

Germany: 509

Mathematics

USA: 470

Germany: 492 

German schools rank quite low in the world and well below American schools.  And that's with our problem schools. 

I guess that's why Germany ranks 16 and the USA only 25, right? :)