How to deal with the German mentality/rudeness

785 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, HEM said:

As a foreigner (as long as you still have an accent) you can usually get away with most transgressions of this sort.

If you are charming enough, some find it delightfully informal, rather than an insult.  Also:  IKEA.  I think even with police people as long as your tone and manner is otherwise polite, it is fine.   Memories of the UK and drunk friends greeting policeman after pub closing with a cheery "Good night cont-stable".  It is not a good idea.

I still have my accent, has anyone lost theirs? I think I speak a sort of Nord-Ost* Hochdeutsch with Ost-Vocab, a wide vocabulary an unusual accent😉

* Like to think I have the Nord-Ost Deutsche Eigenschaften/mindset mentioned by Olaf Merkel and Angela Scholz.

On 4.3.2022, 18:01:04, Fietsrad said:

I still have my accent, has anyone lost theirs? I think I speak a sort of Nord-Ost* Hochdeutsch with Ost-Vocab, a wide vocabulary an unusual accent😉

* Like to think I have the Nord-Ost Deutsche Eigenschaften/mindset mentioned by Olaf Merkel and Angela Scholz.

I still have my accent when I am speaking to my family on the phone. I have been told when I switch from German to English that my accent sounds like a south african accent.:lol:

On 8.2.2022, 18:19:26, fraufruit said:

Personally, I don't find cashiers rude at all. 

When is the last time you were in an East German supermarket?