Life in Itzehoe

21 posts in this topic

I will move to Itzehoe next month with our 2 young children and my husband who doesn't speak any German. :-S

Anyone interested in starting a group to get together and let the kids play and exchange of ideas/tips on life in the rural countryside of Northern Germany?

I think you will find English speakers very thin on the ground around Itzehoe.

There was a newbie recently from Schenefeld (the one North West of Itzehoe).

Hi there,

my name is Tim. I'm a South African expat living in Itzehoe... You're not alone :) drop me a line

Hehe You're right, when the wind blows from the "right" direction - you can sometimes hear the music :)

Hi I am James, im English and live just North of Itzehoe, in the rural countrside, i am married to a German lady, with 4 kids, all speak excellent English. In the Village there is an Americam, and another Brit lives just down the road in Hohenlockstedt, anyone want to meet up?

Then you must be fairly close to the old Hungriger Wolf airfield. I know it mostly from the air (landed out once there but that was many years ago).

hi madbrit my name is bob and i live in padenstedt near nms about 10-15mins from peissen i ride a triumph st if you like we can meet up and have a chat or take the bikes out for a run.maybe this is the wrong page as i do not have any children but never mind!

Hi there,

I am desperately looking for english speaking folks in Schleswig Holstein. At the moment I am still in England but we are moving back to Germany (Nortorf in Schleswig Holstein) next weekend.

My two girls are 15 and 6 years old and both bilingual. I really need contact (meet ups) with other english speaking families / children / people to keep up our english when we are back in Germany. Hope to find some here xxx

bye

Birgit

Nortorf - now that is rather off the beaten track. Neumünster will feel like a large city...

The only reason I know where Nortorf is is that it has a Bahnhof - Nortorf Bahnhof is a turning point that I have used on two recent cross-country gliding flights before heading down the East side of Hamburg airspace.

Good Luck!

Then you must be fairly close to the old Hungriger Wolf airfield. I know it mostly from the air (landed out once there but that was many years ago).

Jesus, somebody actually knows Hungriger Wolf! Actually a fairly large airfield. First time I heard about it I thought it was a joke but since I have landed there it is real. :lol:

Its in the sticks for sure.

Oh dont worry about that, I've been grown up in Nortorf, so I do know it very well. I dont have a problem with that but I am still looking for english speaking guys for a meet up :rolleyes:

Wow, it's very encouraging to see so many English/English-speaking people live in and around Itzehoe. My husband is English and we currently live in London, but would love to move to Itzehoe next year, because that's where I'm from.

Our daughter is three years old and we have had enough with London life. At present we both have to work full-time to pay off our house. We pay approx. 1000 Euro/month for child care and at the end of the month there is no money left...

We should get an English regular's table together. There is a lovely pub called Lauschbar (which used to be called To'n Goosmarkt) in Itzehoe!!

:-)

At present we both have to work full-time to pay off our house. We pay approx. 1000 Euro/month for child care and at the end of the month there is no money left...

Are you both going to be able to get jobs in Itzehoe? A daily commute up & down the A23 to Hamburg is no fun...

I am hoping to be able to take my job to Germany and work from home. I am an Executive Assistant and our Senior Vice President is based in HH and we work well together even though we are in different countries at the moment.

As for my husband, he is a news cameraman and he currently trying to find a viable solution with his current employer, e.g. 7 days on, 7 days off ...and then hopefully in the long run, he can work as a freelance cameraman in Germany.

Your job sounds OK but assuming yr husband is from the UK (possibly not speaking much German?) I'd be worried on his behalf.

My wife's brother (German) trained as a camera man & never got a job in that field. I suspect that working for small local media its a pretty cut-throat & poorly paid activity. I'd be worried on husband's behalf that hed end up here stay-at-home, no job, little communication ability & thus run the risk of staring in one of the sob-stories that are regular thread subjects here...

My Girlfriend is actually from Itzehoe aswell, but we´ve decided to live in Hamburg (after a `brief` stay of three months in her Mothers house in Beidenfleth- ahh!)

It took us forever to find an apartment in HH and while Itzehoe has an abundance of cheap available apartments I couldnt see myslef coping there, I guess if you are older with children then it´s a place to settle. Like I said theres the cheap rental prices, nice playgrounds for the kids and a great swimming complex nearby (for the summer)

BUT the place is dead! I can never quite figure out where all the people are as you walk through the centre & it seems another shop has closed down each time we visit. Thers no buzz about the place..but judging by this thread it seems that even in IZ are English speaking natives!

Believe it or not, there's another Brit in Itzehoe who also knows the Hungriger Wolf airfield (cycle past it on the way to the ice-cream cafe in Hohenlockstedt :rolleyes: ). Have you all met up yet? Would love to join the group!

Hi, my family and I have just moved to Probsteierhagen, which is on the eastside of the Kieler Förde. After having lived in London for the best part of ten years, we decided that it may not be the best place for bringing up kids and we are hoping that they will have a lot more freedom over here. Our kids are aged 2 (girl) and 7 (boy) and they are both bi-lingual. My husband is a born and bred Londoner, whereas I am German and originally from Emden in Niedersachsen. We would love to meet other Brits or British/German families who live in the area.