CANCELLED Games night Sun 28.Apr.2019 at Osteria Alpenhof CANCELLED

1,061 posts in this topic

I'll go and check if Mil's is open this weekend!

If yes, I'll start the list. ;)

OK gamers, Mil's is no more!

I went there because they also didn't pick up the phone for me.

Mil's has closed, was taken over by something called "Platzwirt". The restaurant now has several large TV screens with soccer running on all of them. The snotty bar people informed me the rooms in the back / basement we used to play in could be rented for 60 Euros! And the doors have been taken out, so the sports noise still goes in.

Hence I informed them we were not interested, and swept out, while they stood there with mouths agape I didn't like their offer.

Do we want to try Board Game Café? I could call them.

Brettspielcafé Zamgwürfelt
Helene Mayer Ring 14
80809 München

I'm busy this Sunday so can't attend.
However, I was one of the 3 who went to Brettspielcafé last time. You pay per hour as I think Jennifer posted. There is a huge choice of games; you tell them how complicated &/or long a gameplay you want & they'll recommend games off their shelves. Or you just help yourself (after checking in of course). They seem to start the timer once you've settled down with a game rather than immediately when you walk through the door. Don't know if you can bring your own games (my guess: yes but you'd still pay per hour).
U3 to Oly'zentrum, exit at North end of platform (front of train when outbound), follow the crowd up a slight ramp slightly to your left then turn right at a small plaza with a Chinese restaurant in front of you. If you've gone past an Edeka in the pedestrian precinct then you're almost there.
Have fun - or maybe set a different date?
D.

Who wants to to try the Brettspielcafé this Sunday? Starting at 14:00.
Please sign up by copying the list below, and adding your name to it.

Will announce tomorrow if we have reached a minimum of 4 (four) people.

Brettspielcafé Zamgwürfelt
Helene Mayer Ring 14
80809 München

All welcome. Let's have some fun!

1. Metall

OK, I'm canceling today's Games Night as there were no takers.

I've been asking around at locations closer to Mil's and there might be a possibility at the "5 vor 12 Cafe / Volxküche" in the Georgenschwaigstrasse (same U2 stop Milbertshofen).

https://www.vokue-muc.de/

They already have a board games night (partly English)  on Wednesday we are free to join. It's a pretty nice self organized place with all sorts of groups and meetups going on.

They also are discussing whether to open on Sundays - I'll keep you posted.

Please post any further suggestions!

5 vor 12 Cafe / Volxküche sounds good to me.  (As a Star Trek fan, I keep thinking of "7 of 9".)

Also, wasn't there someplace around Silberhornstr. we used to go?

Jennifer

I talked to the Volxküche, they definitely will stay closed on Sundays.

So if we want to stick with Sunday afternoon. we'll have to try and remember the place at Silberhornstrasse. ;)

Why don't we try the Brettspielcafé Zamgwürfelt this time?  Those of us who haven't been there can see what it's like.  Then we can decide if we want to start going there regularly.

They have heaps of games, all for the asking.  There's a €2/hr sitting fee, but it's really not that much overall.

And maybe by next month Volxküche may decide to expand their hours.

All are welcome.  Let's have some fun!

1. Jennifer

Oh, and thanks so much Metall for researching this.

Jennifer

Why don't we try the Brettspielcafé Zamgwürfelt this time?  Those of us who haven't been there can see what it's like.  Then we can decide if we want to start going there regularly.

They have heaps of games, all for the asking.  There's a €2/hr sitting fee, but it's really not that much overall.

All are welcome.  Let's have some fun!

1. Jennifer

2. Metall

With only two signups, we have no choice but to CANCEL this month's meetup.

I wonder -- is the reason people don't want to pay the €2/hr sitting fee?  Or did folks have other commitments?  Or was it simply announced too late?  We need to know so we can know what to do differently next time (in other words, POST why you didn't sign up!)

We'll try again, March 24th.

Jennifer

I hate to say it, but I met one of our players at a different party where he told me "meetup dot com" has a number of board game meetups that might be pulling away our regulars. *sigh*

Can anybody else confirm?

As you probably already know, Mil's is permanently closed.  It's been replaced by another restaurant, which wants lots of money to rent a room.  They've doubled down on the sports bar theme, removing the doors so EVERYBODY gets to hear the game du jour, whether they want to or not.

Those of you who are old-timers to this group may remember meeting at Osteria Alpenhof years ago.  For a while we were alternating between Mil's and Osteria Alpenhof until we decided it will be Mil's every month.  But now the Alpenhof beckons us.  (Besides, they have great food.)

In a few short months it will be summer, and there won't be enough people signing up to make a meetup worth while.  So come to the March 31 meeting and have some fun before summer shuts us

down.  (I reserved the room already.)

(As a side note, I notice I've been coordinating this group since 2013.  Since this thread only goes back to 2010, I guess that makes me the senior organizer.)

Quasi, would you cross-post this to Facebook?

Like playing board games? Interested in meeting new people? We are a group of English-speaking people getting together to play board games (and games with specialized card decks). Bring your favorite games to share.

The next meetup is Sunday, 31 May 2019, at OSTERIA ALPENHOF, Alpenplatz 1, near the Giesing area, starting at 14:00.  It can be reached by Tram 10, 15, 18, or 25 at the Ostfriedhof stop or by a variety of buses.  (If you are taking the 15 or 25 from Rosenheimerstr, it would be on the "Fahrrichtung right".)

Please sign up by copying the list below over, and adding your name to it.

1. Jennifer

The next meetup is Sunday, 31 May 2019, at OSTERIA ALPENHOF, Alpenplatz 1, near the Giesing area, starting at 14:00.  It can be reached by Tram 10, 15, 18, or 25 at the Ostfriedhof stop or by a variety of buses.  (If you are taking the 15 or 25 from Rosenheimerstr, it would be on the "Fahrrichtung right".)

Please sign up by copying the list below over, and adding your name to it.

1. Jennifer
2. Metall

OOPS!  With only two signups, we have no choice but to cancel AGAIN.  We'll try for April 28; after that we shut down for the summer.

When bsbob first started this thread, it was the only meetup available.  But now we have Facebook and Twitter and the Brettspielcafé Zamgwürfelt in Olympiazentrum distributing gamers over many different gaming opportunities.  Not to mention online games, which have been steadily growing in popularity.  We may have to bring this group to its natural end.  We'll see how we do in April.

If anyone has any ideas, or wants to continue playing games (perhaps in people's houses), please post here.

I still remember that Sunday at Mil's where we had 16 people showing up.  So many that we had to have 3 different games running at the same time.  That was glorious.

I'll post a signup page for April soon.

Take care,

Jennifer

Like playing board games? Interested in meeting new people? We are a group of English-speaking people getting together to play board games (and games with specialized card decks). Bring your favorite games to share.

The next meetup is Sunday, 28 Apr 2019, at OSTERIA ALPENHOF, Alpenplatz 1, near the Giesing area, starting at 14:00.  It can be reached by Tram 10, 15, 18, or 25 at the Ostfriedhof stop or by a variety of buses.  (If you are taking the 15 or 25 from Rosenheimerstr, it would be on the "Fahrrichtung right".)

Please sign up by copying the list below over, and adding your name to it.  Quasi, would you cross-post this to Facebook?

All welcome.  This is the last meetup before the summer shutdown, so sign up and let's have some fun!

1. Jennifer

With only one signup (myself) I must again cancel the meetup.  (Sigh.)

And since summer is our slow season, when people have other interests to pursue, and not so many people sign up anyway,  it doesn't make sense to schedule meetups again until after Oktoberfest.

In any case, due to increasing commitments in other areas of my life, I won't be able to continue coordinating this group.  Any one who wants to take over this role is welcome to do so.

But I will come to future games nights when I can.

Jennifer

@jennifer3 I'm not at all active on TT anymore. There are a couple active international boardgame groups on Meetup.com, though, with 2 or 3 boardgame events every week. I often go to the Sunday one. Also today there is a small boardgame convention at LMU, called UniCon, from 12-18uhr. I'll probably go there with a friend if you'd like to come with.

UniCon in LMU Mensa

Leopoldstr 13a (near Giselastr Ubahn)

Today 12-18uhr

I think entry is 2eur for non-students.