Ultimate Frisbee - Wednesdays and Sundays

4,632 posts in this topic

yep, the X still marks the spot. Or at least I haven't heard anything different.

Hey Jip~ I kind of like the idea. I don't like 3 on 3 though. I think 5 should be the min.

see you tomorrow

Does someone other than Ben who is away have a frisbee?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BSF has a regulation type.

BSF has a regulation type.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I got one. I'm almost positive its 175g (same as last week).

See you all in a few hours.

Yeup, I'm pretty sure BSF's is a 175er.

With regard to the mini tournament thing... maybe.

My plan for these sessions was just to have fun. Hence, if one team is being muellered we always change the players round so that they're more evenly matched. Nobody keeps score, because it doesn't really matter what the score is at the end of the day. When I think enough people look exhausted, we play best of three to bring the pace of game back up and finish on a high note (although the day after I can never remember who won!).

Perhaps I'm a bit idealistic, but I just want anyone who turns up to be able to play and have a good time - even if they've never done it before and aren't that good. I don't like it when the game gets overly competitive, because then the weaker players feel they've let the side down and don't get to touch the frisbee. The level last Wednesday was high, but usually we get some people who aren't so good, and I want to include them too.

Although the mini tournamet could be fun, for the time being I'd rather just stick to playing... but I'm just one player, and if that's what everyone else wants to do I'm not going to stop you! ;)

[Edit 1: Warning, I'm jetlagged and this post could be lost in translation]

[Edit 2: I'm also worried that I sound like that BASEketball film...]

I agree with benpanter about the regularly schedule games, which is why I suggested we perhaps do the tourney on a different day, so that both those who want to play while keeping score and those who just want to toss the disc around without worrying about score can have fun with frisbee!

I'm with Ben about the organisation level. One of the reasons I like it is because it's low-maintenance, you just play. I'm one of the poorer players on the field, so I don't want to feel like there's any pressure - even friendly - to play exceedingly well.

As it was, this afternoon was good fun, but remember kids, bring a heavier jacket for the beergarden afterwards!

Great time today, glad to see so much interest! DW mentioned we might have to change location for Sundays (go to the north end of the Garden), as the summer rolls in, finding a spot in that area could be pretty tough.

Glad to hear it went well. When I get back we'll co-ordinate moving - I reckon to just North of the road - but in the meantime to stop any confusion I would hang on where you are.

No matter how good it was I reckon my Kayaking beat it... even saw an Eagle of some description :)

Yeah, great game yesterday and I think the biggest turn-out yet (30 people?).

Re: Moving location on Sundays: Since half of the players are astronomers who get the word from Ben and not through Toytown, we should definitely wait until Ben gets back before relocating. Having said that, we will definitely need to move, because it will be busier there week by week. I run in the north half of the English Garden (north of the Mittlerer Ring ring road) regularly, so I'll keep my eyes open for a possible location. If anyone already has a spot in mind, make yourself heard!

Re: Organising a tournament: I agree with Ben that we should keep Wednesday/Sunday simple and accessible.

If attendence continues to climb, we might think about playing two games in parallel to keep teams a bit smaller though.

(bostonsportsfan) perhaps do the tourney on a different day, so that both those who want to play while keeping score and those who just want to toss the disc around without worrying about score can have fun with frisbee!

I'd be up for that as well - I also wouldn't mind the chance to spend an hour or two occasionally practising throwing the frisbee. I'd like to learn to throw underarm and do that crazy over-the-head hammer throw that Greg does sometimes ... :)

To quote Joe from Family Guy "YEAH! LET'S DO IT! BRING IT ON!!"

Overcast is no reason to not play Ultimate!

Anything up to and including very light rain, and I should be there.

What about everyone else?

On the upside, there'll be no problem finding space in the park :P

C'mon you guys, playing ultimate in the rain is amazing! Nice cooling effect, you can slide like nobody's business, and a lot of fun!