Seafood and veg recipes

40 posts in this topic

I love this page for Vegetarian food:

http://www.101cookbooks.com/

Should find plenty of things to tie you over till you start eating meat again.

Mexican Lasagne.

Fry some onions and peppers. AQdd some tomatoes, sweetcorn, cumin, paprika, chili, whatever you feel like, to make a veggie chili mix.

Stick two tortillas in a glass dish.

Spoon half your veggie mix on top. Spoon half a pot of cottage cheese on top.

Add three more tortillas, then the rest of the chili, then the rest of the cottage cheese.

]

Sprinkle grated cheese on top (optional) and a bit of paprika for colour.

Heat in microwave for 10 minutes and then, if you like, stick under the grill to brown the cheese.

Or just stick it in the oven to heat through.

Very simple. Pretty healthy. Tastes great hot or even cold the next day. Serve with some salad.

Does it have to include fish?

I know a few decent recipes with lentils.

You could try tofu dishes. There are Asian variations on stir-fry and soups that would be warm and hearty while the weather is cool. Even just pan frying firm tofu slices with a little bit of oil and pepper can be a nice complement to your meal.

These dishes are all quite easy to make.

http://www.britannia.com/cooking/recipes/vegetarian.html

http://www.britannia.com/cooking/recipes/fish.html

Have you thought of vege soups? You can always make a big batch of soup and freeze some to heat up next week?

You can buy those soup vegetables prepacked from most supermarkets containing leek, celeriac, parsley and carrots. Maybe save the parsley to add at the end. You could add more of those ingredients and/or some potatoes. Fry of the leek in a little butter then add the other ingredients. Cover with vege stock add bay leaf, salt, pepper to taste. You can add a tin of chickpeas or white beans at the end. You could either blend it or serve it chunky with fresh bread and cheese. Yum!

Try pumpkin, sweet potato and ginger soup. (fresh ginger is best but don´t add to much unless you want a big kick)

Have you tried a Ratatouille? It tastes nice with rice, pasta or crusty bread. Its good to reheat the next day to go with brötchen. The main ingredients are tomatoes, courgettes (zuccini), eggplant, red/green paprika, onions, garlic. Herbs like basil or italian herb mix. Add cayene pepper or kidney beans for extra kick. There are heaps of recipes on the net but heres one... http://dinner-recipes.suite101.com/article.cfm/ratatouille_recipe

Being vegetarian is a great way to help our environment as well as supporting your religious beliefs so good for you!

Good luck

Okay, here's one of my favourite lentil recipes..

This will serve about 4 people. I usually make the full recipe and just refrigerate the rest for the next day or so.

2 tbsp olive oil

1 large onion, finely chopped

1 large garlic clove, crushed

2/3 tbsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp ground ginger

250 g/9 oz puy lentils (I prefer the canned kind in this dish)

about 600 ml/1 pint vegetable stock

100 g/3 1/2 oz baby spinach leaves

2 tbsp fresh mint leaves

1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves

1 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley

lemon juice (squeeze it from the lemon)

salt and pepper

strips of lemon rind, to garnish

Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 6 minutes. Stir in the garlic, cumin and ginger and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to brown.

Stir in the lentils. Pour in enough stock to cover the lentils by 2.5 cm/1 inch and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the lentils are tender.

Meanwhile, rinse the spinach leaves in several changes of cold water and shake dry. Finely chop the mint, coriander leaves and parsley.

If there isn't any stock left in the pan, add a little extra. Add the spinach and stir through until it just wilts. Stir in the mint, coriander and parsley. Adjust the seasoning, adding lemon juice and salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve, garnished with lemon rind.

It can go well with brown rice, but I prefer to eat it alone as it's more soupy then. Another thing I've done is made Giada's lemon spaghetti as a side dish http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/lemon-spaghetti-recipe/index.html and that makes a nice combination of flavours.

Let me know if you like it! :)

Seafood omelette is always good. Canned (real)crab is good, even if it's one non-fresh ingredient, and obviously it's a cinch to prepare. ;-) I'd just rinse it a little to get a little of the salt out, but that's 'cause I'm not big on salt. Just an omelette with some canned crab, some spring onions or regular onions, and some slivered almonds, vielleicht, if you can get these ingredients in your regular store or, perhaps, an Asian store?

I made this the other day using baby shrimp. I love seafood with eggs, and something about the taste of almonds with it--the bite, the flavor--I just find really satisfying.

Pan-fried large prawns with broccoli.

I usually microwave broccoli until soft enough and then stir-fry the large prawns with some oil in a pan (marinade the peeled prawns with some sugar, pepper, kikkoman sauce first). Spoon out the prawns when they are 70% done and then stir-fry the broccoli and season to taste or simply readd the marinade sauce from the prawns. For some sauce, add some water and thicken with cornflour solution. Readd the prawns when broccoli is done and cook the broccoli prawn mixture 1min more.

Serve hot with rice.

Can you get portobello mushrooms? Take a big portobello mushroom and slice off some of the stem so its a little flatter. Grill in some oil, top with cheese until melted. Now build your favorite sandwhich with it. Portobello burgers ect.

One of the best ways to prepare fish is to broil it. Simple, fast, healthy and you can taste the seafood. Sauces and the like on fresh quality seafood is a crime. Heres a link to simple salmon broiling but it works for any fish fillet or steak.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2250474_broil-salmon.html

Get yourself some good white fish. Cod works best.

Slice some onions and mushrooms and maybe some red peppers.saute in a bit of butter and olive oil. Some chopped fresh tommies never go amiss either. Season with salt, fresh cracked black pepper, basil and a good punch of sweet paprika powder (optional).

Put your fish in an oven proof dish, having seasoned the fish with salt and pepper.For your eating pleasure,amke sure you have removedany bones with pliers (needle-nose work best). Add your sauted veg and a packet of of sieved tommies (possata/passata).

Ideally chuck some freshly chopped parsley on top.

Cover with foil, cook in a hot oven for about 40 minutes. Take the foil off, check the fish cooked, carry on cooking until the sauce is reduced to your liking.

I eat this on its own but it works well will cous cous or boiled spuds. This is a very simple recipe but very tasty.

Fish tacos! Possibly the easiest dish on the planet, I would know since I'm crap at cooking in general but I can manage this one quite nicely.

Lots of recipes online but basically you can take some nice white fish, squeeze a but of lemon, olive oil on it. Bake until the fish is done, depends on the thickness of the fish but generally 10-15 minutes, flipping once midway. In another pan put some veggies, the usual suspects are peppers, onions, chilis. If you're German then corn I suppose, and roast along with fish but might take a bit longer. You can also do this all on the stove top as well if you like.

Serve with tortillas, salsa, cheese and whatever other condiments you like, ie guacamole, sour cream... Round out the meal with beans and rice.

Happy eating!

jml

I've tried this recipe and it worked out really well. I had to guesstimate at the ingredient measurements by watching the video. It turned out great. For me the biggest help was the advice to not turn the salmon. I used to do that when I grilled salmon and the stupid thing always broke up. This time I put it on and didn't lift it till it was done. That worked out well for me. Wish they did have the measurements somewhere though. I used a much smaller bowl and that amount worked out okay.

Fulvic Acid

Salmon cakes - I usually eat them with a salad.

For about 4 people: one small onion, chopped, one and a half pound salmon , 2 large celery ribs, chopped fine, 3 tbps parsley, if you have it, 3/4 tsp salt (go easy on the salt, will depend on how much salmon you got), 1 tsp or less of pepper, 1 cup plus 6 tablesppons bread crumbs, three egg whiltes, oil for frying and lemon wedges (with the final product! some people also enjoy a bit of mayo..).

you have to boil your salmon block with a bit of onion and celery, no salt, then you mash that up.

then you add s and p, parsley and about 3/4 cup bread crumbs. Also add raw celery, chopped fine. It adds a nice taste to it and a fun crunchy side. In a separate bowl, whip up your egg whites, make sure you have no yolk that falls in it, because they won't whip, whip till stiff. then, FOLD them in your salmon mixture, then you make your flat balls... kind of looks like a hockey puck. it's real gooey, and then flatten somewhat before passing them in the rest of you bread crumbs...

Fry in a pan with a bit of vegetable oil, et voilà! Bon appétit =)