Moving to Braunschweig/Brunswick

28 posts in this topic

Hi everybody, I am new to the board.

I will be moving to Braunschweig soon. I have been searching on the internet and it is quite hard to find information. Anybody who has tips or advice on where to live, where to drink, doctors, dentists, supermarkets and anything else it would be great to hear your ideas. And is there any home comforts that I should stock up on, like marmite, that may be hard to find over there?

I speak very little German but I already have a job lined up, in which I will be able to get away with my horrible German (i hope), so much of the information I have found has been difficult to understand without trusty babelfish.

So hello and thanks in advance for any advice anybody sends my way. :)

Hi,

Just saw your post today and I moved to Braunschweig in November so let me know your specific questions and I will try to answer them

I also tried getting infio via TT memebers here but got zero replies

We can go to PM if you wish

Good luck

I'm sure the reason you didn't get any replies was because when you posted, no TTers were living there. Now you are :)

I live in the next village over but I can't really pretend I know much about the big city since I never really go there.

nothing really specific, just wanted a headsup on the place. I am a mid twenties lad who likes beer, sports and partying.

i guess one thing i need to do is start looking for flats, so where is the best place to live? and whats the best places to find flats/apartments available for rent? and how much does it cost?

Some info in English --> http://www.braunschweig.de/english/index.html

Necessary contacts (German only) when you arrive --> http://www.braunschweig.de/vv/

You can find some apartments here: http://www.immobilienscout24.de/ but there are also many that are in the papers and not online.

thanks for the links, v useful. Can somebody tell me the difference between kaltmiete and warm miete? Guess its something to do with who pays the heating bills?

Any recommendations on which is better?

Also what do you have to pay on top of rent? is there a council tax or some kind of equivalent?

thanks!

Usually the heat is included so warm miete is normally the total cost to you per month. Usually there is another amount included in there too called nebenkosten, those are extra expenses associated with the apartment. Heating for the hallways, snow removal, lawn mowing, who knows what's in there. Kalt miete would be just the rent for the apartment and usually they make you pay 2 months kalt miete as a damage deposit. If there is an agent, you might have to pay him 2 months rent as well.

There is no tax that I know of but beware that even though your heating is included, they will adjust it to the actual reading of the meters so if you decided to crank up the heat because it's included, you will get a big bill at some point and if you save on heat, you should get money back. Since they only read the meters about once a year and they have about a year after that to charge you or refund you, you will not be seeing any of that any time soon though.

Braunshit... I mean Braunschweig is ooooookaaaaaay. I personally miss my rinky dinky El Paso in the ol' US of A, but I guess this is what happens when you fall in love with a German guy! : )

Anyways, BS is a good place for English speakers, but I warn you - people can be pretty darn feisty at IKEA on Saturdays. I come from the US, I know real customer service and I DO have manners. You might find yourself in somewhat of a culture shock, then again English people do have a rather dry sense of humor or should I say humour? You might adapt better than I have.

If you like- I can give you my email. Both my husband and I speak German and we enjoy a good beer and chillin'. So, just let me know ok - take it easy and avoid the dog poo on the sidewalks.

Hello the sacred chilli,

im an australian living in Braunschweig for almost a year now. I live over by the uni and its a great area, easy to get into town and a great corner pub to drink at. There is an english trivia night on tuesdays nights at the wild geese and Mc murphys have an english speaking night also.

i have seen marmite at a local asian supermarkt, i believe it was the one on the reben ring by hamburger str. Im a vegemite fan, so i was surprised to see marmite there.

Dont worry about the german, mine is not perfect, but i manage to survive. The more i drink, the better it gets :)

let me know if you need any information.

Thanks for all the info! Any advice on different parts of town to live in. I think being a city lover I would be more happy living somewhere nearer the centre.

Def need to find myself a good local though!

If I wanted to get finance for a car, is this possible from a German bank considering that they will have no credit history with me?

public transport in Braunschweig is fairly good. but i suggest finding a place around the ring, if you want to be near the centre. If you find a place and are unsure of the area, you can write me and i can tell u whats around there.

sorry, i cant help you on the finance bit.

good luck!

Let me get this right. You've got a job lined up but you haven't sorted out any accommodation yet? You better get going. There's more flats here for rent than just about anywhere else. Is this the first time you'll have lived and worked in Germany? A Local? Are you kidding! Germans don't do anything resembling a Local and trying to get anybody over the age of 30 out for the night is a non-starter particularly if they have family. Germans in this part of the world do not do 'going out'

Best of luck and the above is said with my tongue firmly stuck in my cheek. I'm a London boy, if you need help with anything, PM me and I'l give you my contact details

thanks to everybody who replied and offered help. I have now moved(ish) to braunschweig, living in a hotel. Hopefully I will find an apartment in the next month or so.

Would be great to meet some people, anybody who fancies meeting for a beer please pm me

Thanks!

Hey, chilli,

hope you managed to find an apartment in the meantime. Braunschweig is my old home-town so to say, though i am out of it now for a few years but still missing a bit of green since i live in NRW.

Looking for not so expensive shares to live you should watch out for the blackboards at Mensa, which is in the University area. Watch out for "östliches Ringgebiet" if searching for a nice and green place. Mind the West-Town, it might be a bit down dragging.

Good luck

yeah i found an apartment that i am happy with. just sorting out furniture and the such-like.

next burning problem is a satellite dish. Does anybody in braunschweig know of a company that professionally installs these. My landlord is trying to decide if he will let me put one up, i thought that it would be more persuasive if i had it professionally done and showed him i had got a quote.

help, as always, greatly appreciated.

rgds

just to let you know: you are entitled by law to put a satelitte dish up to watch your countries channels.

a company specialized installing them? hm quite hard they make a big fuzz about it and charge you loads but most of the time they dont know what the are doing. we were told to buy really expensive equipment, blew all that and bought a cheap kit from media markt which works perfect.

we had ours installed by a friend, problem is you really have to know where to point the dish as astra 2 has quite a narrow radius (not coincidently i expect as they really just want british licence payers to watch it ;-).

just get yourself a 60 cm dish, point it 28.2 east, dishpointer.com will tell you how to exactly point it. with a compass and a bit of patience it should work.

hey,

Just joined today and read through a few posts, i moved to braunschweig in January but as yet haven't met any fellow english speakers, i think we're rare around these parts. Hope everything is working out well and wouldn't mind meeting up for a beer or two. that is if you being a southern fairy can handle more than one, lol. As for places to live wouldn't have a clue, i live in Meine just out the city but will be lookin for a place in the city this year when hopefully i land a propper job.