What is so funny about Fasching?

125 posts in this topic

Right then,

I had to dress the kids this morning in some "amusing" costume for today at kindergarten. Instead of the "ho ho ho" frivolity it turned out to be a nightmare. My older daughter (6) kind of understood it but my son (4) didn't want his face painted and when it was applied wiped it all off. Upon reaching KG all the kids were hyper dressed usually only in cowboy or witch outfits (Germans see to only have one kind of fancy cress - a witch outfit or a cowboy outfit). My poor son took a look at his teacher overdressed in a clown outfit and burst into tears. 

Now I understand Venice has a real tradition, and Cologne has a carnival which is used to satirise the government of the day which is all noble, but does anyone else find Fasching in Bavaria a bit flat?

Today is the official day of being funny in Germany. Laugh as frowning today is forbidden.

I think you are right, jeremy. I find Fasching in Munich a bit boring. It is nothing like the party atmosphere and sense of tradition that takes over the whole city in Cologne.

My God OG agrees with me for a change!

My point is that in Bavaria it's a bit flat to what I'm told it is in the Rhineland. Anyone take some pics of "Karneval" in Cologne/Bonn for us here? 

I've spent some time thinking about the seasons in Germany and going back to their origins - if we take history back to before the modern era - we're in the period before Lent when meat was forbidden "Karn Eval" is supposed to mean no meat - I should imagine that by now most of the stored meat which was supposed to be all put away at the start of Fasching on Martinstag (11 November) is perhaps rotten so unhealthy to eat, hence the church forbid its eating.

That's my theory at least.

I have/had plans to go to Mainz. Can't be bothered to get up to Köln again just to freeze my ass off while the entire city gets ludicrously drunk. Maybe it's an age thing, but last time it was downright dangerous.

But my woman will be returning from a trip, and with having been away for two weeks she has already protested the Mainz trip so it's unlikely to happen. Can't really say I mind.

Think it's absolutely ridiculous. Just an opportunity for Bavarians to get drunk and have an excuse to chill out and act like 'normal' friendly people. Shame the excuse is needed in the first place. Cheap and nasty costumes too...

Germans see to only have one kind of fancy cress - a witch outfit or a cowboy outfit

Aldi doesn't sell any other type. Hence...

I get the idea behind fasching, and I've experienced it all over Germany but as jeremy said there is something too contrived about it.

It is the same every year, the normally miserable boring beige brigade with their humourectomies and atrophied smile muscles suddenly decide "Ah und now ve vill be doink ze vunny dressink up, ve are so verry vacky und vill be kutting of your neck tie, bekos it is vunny ja!"

There is nothing more unfunny than someone trying too hard to be funny.

Still, little Mr B had a good time going to kindergarten with his knights armour, shield, sword and morningstar today.

Just an opportunity for Bavarians to get drunk and have an excuse to chill out and act like 'normal' friendly people. Shame the excuse is needed in the first place. Cheap and nasty costumes too...

Yes, strange how some nations need to do this.

post-12567-12658818552258.jpg

RainKing - try finding a high class Batman costume such as the one pictured, complete with padded six pack, in Munich... ;)

It is the same every year, the normally miserable boring beige brigade with their humourectomies and atrophied smile muscles suddenly decide "Ah und now ve vill be doink ze vunny dressink up, ve are so verry vacky und vill be kutting of your neck tie, bekos it is vunny ja!"

Don't forget the Bavarian national motto, "Smiles waste muscles".

My husband and kids are off to Koln on Sunday for the parade - assuming it's not too cold! I'll see if they'll take some pics for you poor Southerners!

Hundreds of thousands of people dressed up to look like idiots, drinking medically dangerous amounts of beer and cheering along to god-awful music? Don't have to go to Cologne for that. Just wait for Oktoberfest.

I am living in a small Bavarian village and Fasching here is great! The Fashing Thursdays are always hugely popular (do they do that in Munich? The band marches around town playing music from pub to pub. People follow wearing masks and costumes and get free drinks if you have a mask). The Thursdays have become so popular with people from all over the place that they have started to have Fasching Wednesdays as well - just for the locals!

I take it that if you live in a small Bavarian village, the entertainment bar isn't all that high.

Dressing up, getting drunk, acting like a cunt. Hang on a minute, this is a day at the Test Match, they just have the time of year all wrong.