Kleinanzeigen on eBay: An easier eBay system?

40 posts in this topic

What is the best way to go about buying something from Ebay Kleinanzeigen that would require posting the item? I have noticed something I would like but it is too far away to go and pick up.

E-bay Kleinanzeigen is a rather good service. We used to buy kid's clothes off it for our little ones who were growing so fast. We never had any problems.

help please

I bought a "kristal chandelier" on this site...and it arrived today and it is plastic...of course the ad has disappeared and the seller is saying that he never said it was Kristal or glass...wrong...Kristal was in the title and it was labelled much like other similar products...regrets I chose it because it had only 4 arms not 6 nad I wanted a small light for a bedroom not a lounge room... I have written to the Help section but not heard back, my friend said that ebay is better than Kleinanzeigen and not to be hopeful to see my 30 euro again... is there a small claims type of office in Germany or a procedure that I can send a formal letter demanding the money back as the goods were falsely titled and the description misleading? he works at Bayer, so would not be on the lowest wage to not be able to not play fair

all help appreciated, I hate scammers and it"s worse when the lack of language slows me down

Why would someone buy something under such assumptions when - nevermind the price - even the title sounds like its copied straight down from where it was presumably originally bought on alibaba?

Tried to buy a a laptop from a seller in a nearby town. Once the sale was agreed the laptop was suddenly re-located to the UK and would have to be couriered back to Germany at extra cost. Same laptop? Why the move to the UK? = scam!

Great news...I got refunded! I also sent the light back so the bad experience cost me €7 but I wouldn't use KA again unless I went first to see the things in person...seems the recourse options are more limited than ebay....I subsequently bought a €4 Tiffany light from an op shop until I am able to find in person, the real thing...which may take a while....but thanks to Sabine's idea about hanging a cheapo until the right one comes along....

Isn't that the whole point of Ebay Kleinanzeigen and Quoka? You set a geographic filter to find stuff near you, so you can check it out *before* buying.

Ja ge au...but when the Deutsch Post is so fast, I thought, (naively) it will be what it says so €7 postage was cheaper than fuel...that's why...but I've learned now....I even bought something else...asked if it was all real natural wood...they said yes...we hire a car...€84 for the mileage and guess what...it was laminate...but a tiny bit of wood trim...I thought we had gone so far and my husband liked it so we bought it...on the way back we looked at something else...this time I was ready to say no...and we were kept waiting 20 minutes in the cold as the guy had forgotten the appointment time...and he hadn't even dusted the cupboards off and they were stained that did not show up in the pics...so I said sorry they look tired...as I was too after a 4am start...so I learned several lessons last week....the filter on mileage on the ebay site I find is not so easy to find in German

Well Heidelberg, that can be a good point....I guess that ones majority of shopping ie in supermarkets, makes one complacent and reliant on thinking that everyone plays fair, is the only answer I can think of...

I treat ebay kleineanziege, as well as all ebay überweisen transactions as a crap shoot. Unless backed by paypal you are hoping for the best and the good in people, now certainly circumstances permitted you could do a police anzeige on purchases gone wrong, like wares not recieved. However it does not bring your money back.

So personally I tend to stalk the low bid items and sometimes get lucky. When spending more only on places with feedback, paypal backing or local.

As far as the site itself for small purchases I have used it often and have also sold (only with email listed) and my experience overall is good. Many people do not update, some message you and fall off a cliff after saying they want something. But all in all its not bad, I much prefer it to selling on ebay, where I obviously have no idea what I am doing since even though I list at 0 listing fees I always end up owing even on unsold items, now that pisses me off.

I quite like selling on eBay Kleinanzeigen and up until now, have only had nice people buy anything.  Good to know too that German KA buyers are generally decent. I recently told by husband about various horror stories relating to the UK version run by eBay, Gumtree.co.uk. Sellers and buyers have to be extremely aware.  

A buyer purporting to buy an item of value can be directed to a dodgy address assuming the sales amount of cash is on his/her person. A seller can easily have a small item of value stolen by a runner.  Mobile, notebook etc.

My German husband always moans at me for being cautious..."zat  duz not heppen ere daahrling'.  It does though and likely more so in the future. 

A neighbor recently put several valuable items for sale on eBay Kleinanzeigen including a new Rolex watch for a few thousand euros. It was legit...a retirement present from his company. He foolishly used his full real name on the ad and not surprisingly, had several door knocking dodgy sorts arrive unannounced. Don't use real names ever.  Don't publish landline numbers or full addresses. In the UK it is even common advice to not throw away in general waste, any paperwork with your name and address on it. Least of all anything with any bank or DOB info.  Shred it or else it can be found and used by criminals.

Another neighbor, single lady selling kiddie stuff.  Group of men arrived and scared the life out of her.  Use a man's name and make sure another adult is with you or a neighbor on alert.

My in-laws asked if we could sell a few items for them. Fine.  Small on normal eBay, anything big or electrical of ebay KA. Over the weekend, a bloke came to look at a vacuum cleaner, the sort that Germans bought for over 2000DM  20 years ago. Despite it having been used only 2-3 times and deemed too big to handle and carefully stored, it wasn't fully functional...lose cable probably just due to age rather than usage. We couldn't get rid of the bloke quickly despite my burly husband's polite attempt. Since then, the bloke has bombarded us with SMSs and has turned aggressive saying he's just going to come by unannounced and give us a few euros to take the whole vacuum and accessories off our hands. In-laws now want it all back rather than us have anymore hassle. 

Ebay KA is great, just be ware of buying or selling anything of significant value...no real full names, no landline numbers or full addresses. Ideally, only communicate over the message system.  

1 hour ago, emkay said:

Over the weekend, a bloke came to look at a vacuum cleaner,

I've never sold anything larger than my car trunk because I never meet the buyer at my home address...always a public place.

15 minutes ago, catjones said:

I've never sold anything larger than my car trunk because I never meet the buyer at my home address...always a public place.

For us now too.  Main eBay is fine although I don't like that buyers get to know your address through PayPal payments and sender info. Didn't original PayPal payment prevent ANY seller info being known?

I've used eBay Kleinanzeigen many times without any serious problems, it's a good service.  I sold my trailer on it within a few hours of posting an ad last month.  I've also found cars, pets, furniture, tools and customers on it.  You do, however, need to be able to write an ad in somewhat passable German to use it effectively.  Ask on Toytown for help with this, someone will give you a hand.

They make their money by charging people to bump up their ads, or spotlight them, normal ads are always free.  I've paid for this service a couple of times, and it makes a difference, depending on what you're offering.  

It's definitely worth the bother, it works.  Seriously annoying are the people you contact who either don't show up or aren't home after you arranged a time to make a transaction... don't be one of those guys!  But yeah, everything is done face to face with cash.

14 hours ago, kapokanadensis said:

I've used eBay Kleinanzeigen many times without any serious problems, it's a good service.  I sold my trailer on it within a few hours of posting an ad last month.  I've also found cars, pets, furniture, tools and customers on it.  You do, however, need to be able to write an ad in somewhat passable German to use it effectively.  Ask on Toytown for help with this, someone will give you a hand.

They make their money by charging people to bump up their ads, or spotlight them, normal ads are always free.  I've paid for this service a couple of times, and it makes a difference, depending on what you're offering.  

It's definitely worth the bother, it works.  Seriously annoying are the people you contact who either don't show up or aren't home after you arranged a time to make a transaction... don't be one of those guys!  But yeah, everything is done face to face with cash.

it's a great website, I bought an incredible chair at the weekend. would not have known about it if it wasnt for this! so thanks