German toilet designs

135 posts in this topic

Hilarious post!! I totally agree too. As a newbie to Germany I must say I am slightly horrified by the design of German toilets. The only way I can cope with it is to use it like the 'squat toilets' of Japan and flush it while... well don't make me go into details please. But of course this is wasteful of water. Well if I was able to get used to the squat toilets then I guess I'll come to accept these too. When in Rome...

There are some other threads on German toilets and one tip there was to cover the poop ledge with toilet paper because then apparently it will slide off cleanly when you flush. I haven't tried it because I made sure to rent an apartment with a normal toilet.

This is actually something which has been bothering me for quite some time now. There must be some functional signifgance to the way they make them here, this is Germany after all, does anyone know what it is?

When my daughter was about 4 she was afraid to use those toilets in France.

Regarding the original post. In the second photo, I am not sure which is worse, the toilet or the floor. :(

On the subject of squat toilets, I was reading this article whilst on holiday in morocco recently and was almost crying with laughter in the internet cafe...

Absolutely a riot reading that..thanks for passing on this funny morsel

This is actually something which has been bothering me for quite some time now. There must be some functional signifgance to the way they make them here, this is Germany after all, does anyone know what it is?

The toilet platform is for presentation purposes: http://www.bilderbeutel.de/blogs/heinrich_glied/006/

And also for thorough inspection and anal-ysis, including consistency, shape, colour, the odor. This way diseases and nurture deficiencies can be detected. Also by the shape you can tell your fortune.

Spiegel Online ran an article on the German toilet as part of its Germany Survival Bible:

Indeed, taking care of your morning business in Germany often involves the type of twisting and turning normally reserved for Chinese contortionists. As you hear that tell-tale thunk of feces on porcelain, you must immediately twist your arm around behind you to push the flush lever. The rapidly rising odors are otherwise instantaneously debilitating. When finished, throw open the window as wide as it will go. If you have to go into the bathroom after someone else, it's a good idea to carry a book of matches or a bottle of air freshener to rid the WC of any unpleasant odors. In lieu of that, there's always a good, World War II gas mask. Head to Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin. The souvenir stands are well-stocked.

Scott Anderson did some research on the German toilet:

I do not understand the purpose of this toilet. It does not save water - you must flush it eight or ten times to remove every last scrape and smear. It is not hygienic - the smell is ungodly. The only conceivable explanation is that Germans love to inspect their stool, so the German toilet of necessity features a built-in stool inspection shelf. I wouldn't be surprised if the more expensive models include a digital scale: "Mein Gott, zwei kilogram!" exclaims Günter, joyful and relieved.

He goes on to say that indeed the dreaded shelf was developed to help people keep an eye on their health by inspecting the results. :blink:

There is a page about "Der Flachspueler" (page 42) between the pages about how "Die Deutschen hassen Kundenservice" and about "Ampeln direkt ueber dem Kopf" in Madison's recent Nothing for Ungood.

It was making me laugh out loud on the bus today. What a coincidence that I registered for Toytown tonight and here was "Booksandbooks"' post on the same subject. Until now, after 13 years in this country, the closest I ever got to not feeling alone in this was an embarrassed explanation to a guest on the other side of the bathroom door *:o) .

Quite a big discussion about it on the blog too

http://nothingforungood.com/2008/04/18/strange-stuff-in-germany-trophy-toilets/

The toilets here are not as worse as in China. I remember my first day of sightseeing and was in urgent need to relieve myself. I went into a restroom and was invited by a pungent stench of piss. I open the toilet door and looked down at a hole. The most uncomfortable way to go to the loo I must say.

Now the toilets in Japan I abosolutely love! I remember using the bathroom at a restaurant in Electric City and found it cool. The restrooms were quite exquisite. One does feel like a queen or king when on the crapper. The seats lid raises, the seat is actually warm (quite comfy) and there are a row of buttons on the side that brings the toilet experience to a whole new level. My fav button would have to be the soothing sounds of music. The sprinkler was quite amusing.

Before my first visit to Germany, my German teacher gave me a book to read (the title and author escape me) which gave a sociological and historical account of the German's (alleged) obsession with their shit. Thinking the book a lark, I laughingly asked my teacher if the context of the book was true; her blushes and whimpered yes were still not enough to prepare me for the "throne of faecal involvement" that I was to encounter mere weeks later...

"I do not understand the purpose of this toilet. It does not save water - you must flush it eight or ten times to remove every last scrape and smear. It is not hygienic - the smell is ungodly"

Firstly, there are toilet brushes that you can use when you flush the toilet.

Secondly, open a window. If there isn't a window, there'll be a fan that automatically comes on when you switch the light on.

What about the toilets in the UK? Huge drop - straight onto water and the water then rises up and kisses your backside. Yeurgh. Especially if you've already peed into the water. How hygienic is that? And you think my dad couldn't make a stink in a toilet like that? Think again. Thankfully, we had a window in the toilet room.

Imissthepies,

Actually, I encountered the same toilets you encountered in China in Japan. I went out on a day trip to the coast with my Japanese friends. There were toilets of both kinds there.

Actually, the squat is the better way to go to toilet. If your knees are higher than your hips (I think it's the hips), then everything inside you is in a better position to expulse what's inside. You don't need to strain. It's a more natural position.

http://www.toilet-related-ailments.com/squatting.html

http://www.relfe.com/toilet_seat_constipation.html

erm,was about to cook breakfast,read this albeit hilarious thread..I´m skipping breakfast today..

To be honest, you can't be too surprised at the lack of toilet related know how from the Krauts, they've only had indoor plumbing since the 1970s.