Starkbierfest 2010 at Paulaner

19 posts in this topic

Hi,

I know there is still a month to go, but this is one of my favorite winter events in Munich :)

On top - if you hurry up up you can still book your table - which is absolutely free of charge! All they ask for is to show up on time!

The Starkbierfest takes place at the Paulaner am Nockherberg, Hochstrasse 77, 81541 Munich.

The atmosphere is pretty much like during any other beer festival in Bavaria, but with significantly less tourists. It definitely feels more local. They serve Salvator beer in stone mugs, the beer is tasty but quite dangerous ;)

More info at:

www.nockherberg.com

Have fun!

post-16988-12654962502546.jpg

They serve Salvator beer in stone mugs, the beer is tasty but quite dangerous

I went last year for the first time. We ordered 1 too many beers in a round, and once it settled, it was clear they only filled the beers up about halfway (which you can't see because of the stone mug). And still charged the best part of €10 for a half beer. Kudos for making sure their customers don't put themselves in harms way by drinking too much starkbier, but I hadn't felt so ripped off since I left Ireland.

I won't be returning this year.

The Starkbierfest is also celebrated at the other breweries. Most interestingly at the Augustinerkeller and the Löwenbräukeller.

Each one has a different style. The Salvatorkeller is more on the lines of the Oktoberfest with lots of long tables and a band. The Löwenbräukeller on the other hand has a stage show of over-the-top bavarian traditional acts, a lift-the-stone competition that anyone strong enough can enter. And finishing off with a band that starts off very traditional but turns into a rockin' band doing stunts and comical tricks as the evening progresses. That, with a few starkbiers inside you, makes for a great evening. Especially for me, as they end up playing songs like Smoke on the water, Santana and all my favourite crap!

How do these events work? Do you pay your entrance fee and get a few vouchers for your brew, or is the entry fee only to get you over the door?

At Paulaner there is an entry fee, but it is EUR 1.50 only. More importantly, you can book tables free of charge. You only have to show up on time.

Why what's wrong with Paulaner? The beer in Munich generally tastes the same no matter which brewery it's from and the stark bier is no different. This isn't a criticism, it's just how it is. The beer is good in Munich, but the difference between the worst and the best is so small that it's not worth worrying about and with starkbier, after the second one you are not going to even notice that there's a difference.

Paulaner Salvator is considered by British and American beer connoisseurs to be one of the better beers in the world. The Ayinger and Weltenburger Bocks score better, but for a Munich brewery Salvator is pretty damn fine.

RateBeer

Live broadcast from the Nockherberg on BR (and on the internet) starts in 13 minutes!

Hi all,

Been in Munich close to a year but new to Toytown.

Is there at TT meetup at the Starkbierfest on the weekend of the 6th and 7th of March at all?

Don't forget Unimator at Unionsbrau with the incomparable 'Heinz Vohburger's Happy Music' :lol:

And Aviator at the Airbrau and St. Jakobus Blonder Bock at the Forschungsbrauerei.

Depends where you go I guess, but the last mention of price was :

And still charged the best part of €10 for a half beer (1/2 Litter in a 1 Litter Mas).

Actually, if you re-read the prev. posts, its only 1/2 a litter in a 1 Litter Mas, for a 1L Price..

This disagrees on the price:

http://www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/Starkbierfest

...seems more likely.

It's about the same price as the Oktoberfest, with similarly filled glasses...only it's much stronger, so you only need half as much beer.