Moving from private to public health insurance

128 posts in this topic

great - you are not totally screwed :)

my understanding is that once you've been on private cover as a family, it's very hard to get everyone over to public in one fell swoop.  afaik you could get yourself onto public cover by taking a temporary pay cut, but I'm not sure you can take your wife and child with you.  

I have a friend who had private cover for himself and his family.  His wife was able to switch to public when she got a new job but the kids had to stay on his private policy, with the extra premiums that go with it.  Hopefully different if your wife does not work but not sure.

I am a bit puzzled..because according to the website this particular health insurance plans is(more or less) exclusively reserved for people working at  Max-Planck-Institutes... are you employed there at the end?

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

1 hour ago, Starshollow said:

I am a bit puzzled..because according to the website this particular health insurance plans is(more or less) exclusively reserved for people working at  Max-Planck-Institutes... are you employed there at the end?

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

I am STILL puzzled, Starshollow!

:P

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

On 10/09/2019, 18:18:20, Starshollow said:

Cheerio

Hi Starshollow

In one of your post I read I can ask for an Unterstützungskasse and contribute. Could you please confirm if the maximum amount is 392 EUR/month or is there any way to contribute more? By the way does it decrease the gross salary (my understanding is it only lower my take-home salary)?

Also as a second thought, can I go for a parental leave and at the same time work for part time with my present employer(max 30 hrs/week). Will it be considered as a decrease in salary?Can I go for only 1 month to achieve this?

Thanks a lot for the valuable answer.

3216 euros per year ( off the top of my head ) , anipri, is the maximum you can pay in tax and social insurance- free ( and reduce your gross income ) but no maximum you can otherwise pay in.

An Unterstuetzungskasse is the oldest form of company pension in Germany, going back to the 19th century! It is really good as a concept and , sadly , not known to all! Even my tax advisor in Hamburg going back about 15 years or so ago had to check his books!

Maybe time for an updated thread on here about it.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

13 hours ago, anipri said:

Hi Starshollow

In one of your post I read I can ask for an Unterstützungskasse and contribute. Could you please confirm if the maximum amount is 392 EUR/month or is there any way to contribute more? By the way does it decrease the gross salary (my understanding is it only lower my take-home salary)?

Also as a second thought, can I go for a parental leave and at the same time work for part time with my present employer(max 30 hrs/week). Will it be considered as a decrease in salary?Can I go for only 1 month to achieve this?

Thanks a lot for the valuable answer.

as John Gunn correctly stated, around 260 EUR per month is the highest you can pay into a company pension scheme (usually it will be rather a Direktversicherung bAV than an Unterstützungskasse, though, but that is another story entirely) in order to reduce your gross salary for calculating the thresholds for public health insurance etc.

Having said that: this only applies anyway if your gross salary is below 80.400 EUR per year (so-called Beitragsbemessunggrenze) to begin with.

Reduction of gross salary for some time CAN be an option, however, it has to be done well regarding the paperwork involved on the work contract side/HR. For instance should it not list a predetermined end of the reduction before 12 months are thru, otherwise it will be considered as illegal "planning" around the social welfare laws. You can then still change back to full employment after just a month, of course, and still, continue to stay in public health insurance after that as a voluntary member. But that won't work if and when the changes in the work contract make clear that the reduction was just for a short period of time from the beginning. I would recommend in such cases to get advice from a qualified expert (like a specialized Versicherungsberater) to check your situation and prepare the relevant paperwork bullet-proof. Costs a fee but is definitely worth it... 

Cheerio

35 minutes ago, Starshollow said:

Reduction of gross salary for some time CAN be an option, however, it has to be done well regarding the paperwork involved on the work contract side/HR. For instance should it not list a predetermined end of the reduction before 12 months are thru, otherwise it will be considered as illegal "planning" around the social welfare laws. You can then still change back to full employment after just a month, of course, and still, continue to stay in public health insurance after that as a voluntary member. But that won't work if and when the changes in the work contract make clear that the reduction was just for a short period of time from the beginning. I would recommend in such cases to get advice from a qualified expert (like a specialized Versicherungsberater) to check your situation and prepare the relevant paperwork bullet-proof. Costs a fee but is definitely worth it... 

Cheerio

Hi Starshollow

Is also true if I think of the option "Parental leave + working part time". Why I am asking this because anyway in a Parental leave I have to declare the time duration. What if I only confirm at the beginning that I will only do 1 month of parental leave with part time work(Max 30 hrs/week). My income will surely go down below the threshold. Am I not eligible to move to public then as a compulsory member and continue as a voluntary member from 2nd month onwards.  

Thanks for providing so much of information