Life in Bremen for a student

8 posts in this topic

Hi.

I'm a first year native English University student in the UK. I am going on a course in Summer in Bremen in order to improve my German and to re-visit Germany (I have not been since last February!). My German is of a post A-Level standard at grade A but I'm more concerned with trying to integrate with Germans. On college trips, I mostly spent time around my English-speaking friends although trying to use my German as much as possible. However, this time I would prefer not to hang around with English students as to allow my German to improve more by making German acquaintances.

My question is: are the Germans there accepting of foreign students? Personally from previous times spent in Germany, Germans have been very nice to me although I have not spent an extensive amount of time around them (as mentioned just a moment ago). Is the dialect of Bremen difficult to understand?

Also what do you recommend to do/see/visit in Bremen?

Many thanks for any replies!!

Hi there,

I've lived in Germany for over 30 and in Bremen for over 20 years and find the locals pretty accepting. The biggest problem you may have is people automatically speaking English with you, as most Germans have a smattering ;)

Not having any idea how good your German is, I can't really recommend anything, but one thing Germans love are clubs and associations. If you have any interests, find a group of people who share that interest. That's probably the best way to get integrated AND use and improve your German.

The German spoken here is about as dialect-free as you can get it. Obviously there are a few small ways of pronouncing certain things (e.g. a "g" is very often pronounced as a throaty "ch") but in general, you shouldn't have any problems. My girlfriend is from Allgäu, which is the border area between Bavaria and Swabia and even I have no idea what they're talking about when they get together :blink:

Hope you have a good time here and feel free to pose any questions you may have. I'm not here that often, so please use sschmied@gmx.net

Steve

Yes,Higgins.Bremen and Hamburg are two of the only places in Germany in my humble opinion where you´ll understand the language if your German is ok(whatever that means.).I´ve been here since 1992 and would still have a hard time in Bavaria,parts of the Rhineland etc.So what?Do it!And as for asking for tips of what to see etc,don´t know..what happened to going somewhere and discovering?This Internet stuff is unromantic (don´t get me started on Facebook or whatever it´s called).Why not keep a diary while you´re doing it rather than before you do it?Rant over

Hey.

Thanks both of you for your replies!

Stevie: It's good to hear you managed to integrate well. That's what I was wondering if my happen, in terms of them speaking English, because when I was in Berlin, I'd speak German to them and they'd speak back in English so the conversations ended up being half German and half English!

My German I have been told is very good and apparently I have a clear, German-sounding accent for a non-native. I was talking to a couple of people from Frankfurt tonight in the Uni Union and they said they also found my accent good. In terms of competence, I am classed as post-post A-Level if that makes sense (3B it's called at Uni).

It's nice to hear that there is no such dialect in the region as when I went to Bavaria I found some people quite difficult to understand! Lol.

Okay that's cool - I'll forward this message to your inbox then too!

Thanks for your very informative reply!

John G: You seem to have a similar opinion in terms of the accent to Stevie. I like going to discover in a new town I just thought it would be nice to have a broad idea of what there is to do before I went.

I see you're not a fan of Facebook - personally I love it, especially being a Uni, because it allows me to connect with so many people, arrange events etc.

Thanks for your comments too!

Higgins,

the only real trick to getting to know Germans is to speak the language and stay away from too many ex-pats. Ive just come to bremen after >20years in Frankonia (near Nuremberg). On first impression the people up here seem more friendly and open, but I didnt have any problem down south either. Get out there and meet people and as another poster has already said, if you have an interest that someone runs a club for, go along to that. Almost all established German clubs and societies have "Vereinsabende" where its more about getting together than the actual pursuit of an interest.

andy

Hey thanks for the reply,

My aim is to speak as much German as possible. I have been told that only a few English people will be going on the course so I don't want to be hanging around with them much if possible, although of course the occasional conversation would be nice.

I'll check out any things that will be running while I'm there and go along to some meetings then.

Thanks!

Matt.

Higgins Mate... Which univ are you going to? If its Hochschule Bremen goto Prof. Jansen(architechture dept.) he will guide u with both english n german ways of getting to know ppl...As much as I have heard him speak english he speaks like a brit so if at all you want some help he will do it for you and moreover his wife is a doctor(finding a one who speaks english is lil complicated)though she is a gynec she'll guide you to other english speaking doc's in the locality. Have a nice time. Go to clubs you will know for yourself how nice bremen is..

I'm going to Bremen Uni (Universität Bremen). Oh ok. It's a shame I'm not going there! That would have been really handy! Thanks for your reply tho - I can't wait to get back to Germany.