Demonoid website access issues

61 posts in this topic

I see that Germany has started blocking sites like Demonoid from January 2010.

It's interesting that little mention has been made of this in the press.

Blocking is easy to circumvent with internet proxy websites. I'm curious though if anyone has an internet proxy site that they consider fairly safe or reliable. Demonoid and some other sites require the use of username and password. If it is being blocked and a proxy site is required to access it and passwords are being used then the proxy site would need to be fairly trustworthy.

The RIC (rats in charge) don't have it blocked outright, as it seems to me. Instead, they pressure the website operator to not deliver any content to German IP addresses.

I tried to log in via proxy server, however Demonoid.com refused to accept my credentials that way. Guess we'll have to do for now with btjunkie.org etc.

Is anybody running his own proxy server, in a free country?

I'm not at home so I can't check, but my hunch is that they're not blocking specific IP ranges, but rather only requiring German ISPs to block DNS entries on the DNS servers they run. Try changing your DNS settings on your computer to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 (OpenDNS) or 8.8.8.8 (Google's DNS server) and see if that fixes the problem.

I see that Germany has started blocking sites like Demonoid from January 2010.

I'd noticed Demonoid wasn't loading, but that seems par for the course these days. I guess I know, now, that their site isn't down again.

It's interesting that little mention has been made of this in the press.

The press is run by the same corporations that probably got this blocking done. How did you determine what was going on?

Anyway, Demonoid is basically just a public tracker with a private site. It's probably a good time to stop using them altogether.

DNS works fine but the site itself is refusing requests from German IPs. Whether that's because they were pressured by a German authority or because they have hardware or people in Germany they're trying to protect from legal trouble, I don't know.

The page is blank for me today but I do have a torrent up and running which sees seeds, although no peers at the moment. It did have peers downloading yesterday. Might as well add that this is legally distrubuting the film Zeitgeist Addendum.

Well guess you people will just have to use rapidshare... Oh wait... oops that ain't working properly either...

... Might as well add that this is legally distrubuting the film Zeitgeist Addendum.

Good. Hopefully people who are making legal use of torrent sites and BitTorrent as a medium of distribution can help challenge any kind of blanket bans on accessing such sites and on ISPs throttling or otherwise blocking P2P traffic. Blocking BitTorrent traffic is similar to banning cash because it's commonly used for illegal deals. :rolleyes:

I don't really know the site but I just tried loading it and I get a 'Server too busy' error message.

They return HTTP Error Code 500 (Internal Server Error) on German IPs as it seems. This would have to be done from the server, not by the DNS or the ISP.

They return HTTP Error Code 500 (Internal Server Error) on German IPs as it seems. This would have to be done from the server, not by the DNS or the ISP.

The ISP can manipulate the stream.

P.S., Still working with Kabel Deutschland here.

Good. Hopefully people who are making legal use of torrent sites and BitTorrent as a medium of distribution can help challenge any kind of blanket bans on accessing such sites and on ISPs throttling or otherwise blocking P2P traffic. Blocking BitTorrent traffic is similar to banning cash because it's commonly used for illegal deals.

The difference is the vast majority of cash is used legally wheras the vast majority of BitTorrent traffic is piracy.

Not that I support it's being banned, as an unabashed pirate I would hate having to pay for stuff.

The ISP can manipulate the stream.

Well, yes they could. But they only block the actual pages for me. Images/Favicon on the page still work. Even Javascripts can still load (eg http://www.demonoid.com/cached/se.js ). I seriously think the people at Demonoid are blocking it themselves. The only question remains why and why specifically germany?

Could be a response to a cease and desist order from a German law firm.