How Do I Get to Birkenkopf?

5 posts in this topic

I'm new to the area, having arrived around Christmas & I'm trying to get out & look at some things on the weekends. I'd heard about Birkenkopf (or "Rubble Hill") as a place with a nice view that would allow you to see the entire city. I spent about an hour today on the internet trying to find directions but failed miserably.

I have the idea that it's somewhere around Panzer & the end of 831, but that's as close as I got. I would go out & just drive around until I found it, but I'm getting so turned around on the roads that I don't feel confident in doing so at this point.

If anyone's been, can you give me an idea of how to get there? Is it best to drive, take the bus? Is there parking for drivers? Thanks for any help you can offer.

According to the Stuttgarter Zeitung, you can take one of two buses, or drive.

directions from the newspaper article: Parks & Natur Birkenkopf

Anfahrtswege

Bus 92

Haltestelle Birkenkopf

oder 40

Haltestelle Botnanger Sattel

(Fußweg durch den Wald)

Parkplatz:

Ecke Geißeich- und Rotenwaldstraße

(Ungefähr 10 Minuten Fußweg durch den Wald)

And here is a 360 degree panorama view from the hill itself.

- Good bet: Go to the USO on Panzer (big white bldg across from PX); they have brochures on many things and usually a Stuttgart map + other brochures for the area (free). Hours: M-F 10-18 & Sa 10-14.

- Best bet: Try the I-Punkt (tourist service) downtown: Königstraße 1a; 70173 Stuttgart (brochures are a pay service). They a have great handbook on architecture and a small booklet on scenic walking tours. Posted hours: M-F: 09-20 & Sat: 09-16.

there are parking places in Jägerhausweg. one directly at the crossing. another one in the woods when yu drive eastwards.