The laws about employees and Kurzarbeit

189 posts in this topic

Do you have right to holiday if you are on 100% Kurzarbeit?

Aren't the holidays proportional to the worked days for the current year?

I knew that this situation was still open, if you still have the right to holidays when in Kurzarbeit 100%.

2 minutes ago, bbogdanmircea said:

Do you have right to holiday if you are on 100% Kurzarbeit?

Yes, I was on 100% last year May+June, and had one week holiday in that period, because I already planned that. My employer didn't apply for Kurzarbeit that week, so it was not paid by the government, but by my employer.

43 minutes ago, bbogdanmircea said:

Ok, but if you are on Kurzarbeit for the whole 2021 until now, then I guess you have no right to holiday?

I've looked into this myself and as far as I can tell, you do not earn vacation days if you are on 100% kurzarbeit.

Husband‘s employer has confirmed Kurzarbeit until the end of this year.  The proposal for next year onwards is 100% work for less pay...percentage less not yet disclosed.  Difficult times ahead....

My German is not perfect but my understanding is that this is between the employer and the employee, also depending also on the field of work, for example if you work in IT and you can do your work remote I guess getting back to work would mean just turning on your laptop and connecting to the VPN, wherever your are in the world.

Of course if your boss knows you are not locally and asks you to be at the office ASAP then I don't know what the consequences may be...

1 hour ago, bbogdanmircea said:

My German is not perfect but my understanding is that this is between the employer and the employee

Absolutely. It's pretty much always an agreement between you and your employer.