Dramamine, or something similar for motion sickness

21 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I've never taken anything to combat motion sickness when I fly...and as a result, I've had some pretty awful flights. I just did some searching online for motion sickness remedies, and a medication called dramamine seems to be the most common. I'm flying to the states next month, and I really wish I could find some medicine before then. I know I still won't enjoy flying, but it would be nice to be able to eat more than 2 crackers during the whole 9 hour flight...Does anyone know where I can get some dramamine, or something similar in Germany?

Greetings,

Saul

Just realized I forgot the word "get" in my subtitle...geez. But I think you can all still understand what I meant?

You can get the same thing as Dramamine under various names at any pharmacy. The active ingredient is called Dimenhydrinat in German but just ask for "Reisetabletten" "or etwas gegen Reisekrankheit" and they'll know what you're talking about. Vomex is one of the brand names. Make sure you check the label, though, to see if the Dimenhydrat is in there in case they try to sell you some useless herbal remedy.

And the stuff works great, I can't travel without it. It makes me really drowsy but I have yet to throw up on a plane.

Thanks for the information. I actually look forward to being drowsy...perhaps it will not only keep me from feeling sick but eventually put me to sleep as well. : ) My other problem is that I can never sleep on the plane either...

One 100g tablet (they usually come in 50g or 100g, I think) pretty much knocks me out but make sure you take it at least half an hour before the plane takes off so it has time to work.

One 100g tablet (they usually come in 50g or 100g, I think) pretty much knocks me out...

I'm not surprised that this knocks you out, the tablets are usually 50 mg! :D

Cat_pumpkin- i took Dramamine on a few occasions on a holiday with a lot of boat travel, and i found that first time was wonderful, felt so chill and tranquil and stoned, but after taking it on a total of (i think) 4 occasions throughout a fortnight, i felt very weird and started having hallucinations.

Another person on the holiday also took the stuff a couple of times, and turned into a paranoid monster and totally lost the plot.

Probably not relevant as you wouldnt be taking loads of them regularly, but it was so odd, i think its just worth passing on the info.

Hmm, that's interesting. Drugs that cause drowsiness in some people can cause excitability in others so it would maybe be best to do a trial run and see how it affects you. There are a number of cautions in the package insert as to who should take it and who shouldn't. It's also an antihistamine and I believe it dehydrates you as well as causing your digestive systemt to slow down a lot. But I've never had an adverse reaction to it other than the drowsiness and it completely kills the nausea for me.

According to the wikipedia article it's a deliriant at high doses, and is used by some as a recreational drug...

Try vitamin C.

When you have too much histamine in your blood you get motion sickness.

Vitamin C cuts its production.

However, you need the tablets that contain 1000mg Vitamin C.

Btw it tastes good.

Yes, it is a drug, after all. You need to be very careful how much you take. One tablet lasts me for about 15 hours, I find, even though they say you can take it much more often than that. I get through the plane trip with one dose and that's it. I do think it's the most commonly purchased or prescribed medication for travel sickness and stomach flu, though, and there are tablets and suppositories available for children as well.

Yeah one possibility that just occurred to me, is that we all bought the stuff in South America, during the holiday, and maybe they have a higher quantity of active ingredient in the tablets, than US/Europe levels?

Or else it just didnt suit- Both myself and the friend were small, thin-ish women, so maybe the tablet was too high a dosage for body mass.

. Make sure you check the label, though, to see if the Dimenhydrat is in there in case they try to sell you some useless herbal remedy.

Herbal does not necessarily equal useless.

Homoeopathy does but if herbal stuff was so usless then there are any number of pot heads who want their money back :)

No, I meant that this stuff is proven to help with nausea so if the OP wants to buy what I recommended he needs to check the label.

I have nothing against herbal stuff, but none of it helps me personally with travel sickness.

Yeah one possibility that just occurred to me, is that we all bought the stuff in South America, during the holiday, and maybe they have a higher quantity of active ingredient in the tablets, than US/Europe levels?

That could well be. It comes in different dosages and as I said it seems to take a long time to clear the system.

My parents gave me children's Dramamine when I was little every time we flew in the Cessna. Maybe they just cut an adult one in half. I don't know. Nothing is worse than having a kid puke in a small plane. Daddy dropped the bags out of his door before they started giving me and my brother Dramamine.

On 4/5/2019, 8:30:45, thegreatdivide said:

Can any parent here recommend something homeopathic for car sickness in children?

Homeopathic are just placebos - seriously. If you want a placebo affect just give the child a chewable vitamin.

If you want something with a proven track record, then buy chewable meclizine or dramamine. Alternately you can buy Vomex syrup for kids (same thing just in liquid form). Of course this will make the kid a bit drowsy - and maybe that is why you are asking for something 'homeopathic' and not 'real' (unless of course you are ignorant about medicine, biology, or biochemistry or basic science for that matter). 

Something that might help if you are absolutely against real medicine, is candied ginger. It helps settle the stomach and is not too awful to eat.

Maybe there are some herbal remedies - but don't bother with homeopathic unless you just want a placebo effect.

On 4/5/2019, 8:58:19, fraufruit said:

My parents gave me children's Dramamine when I was little every time we flew in the Cessna. Maybe they just cut an adult one in half. I don't know. Nothing is worse than having a kid puke in a small plane. Daddy dropped the bags out of his door before they started giving me and my brother Dramamine.

Thank you. I will definitely keep this in mind.