Watching American and English TV online

91 posts in this topic

Beware of downloading Hotspot Shield!!! I downloaded it today. I have (had) good security, but I started getting weird popups that never stopped & then Norton popped up & said I was being attacked by close to 20 viruses coming from one IP address. My laptop is now completely dead.

New startup company launches web-based US (and apparently, UK) streaming service that allows you to watch anywhere in the world - still in beta, but expected to launch soon-ish.

From the NY Times:

In a move that could hasten the slow pace of so-called TV Everywhere, a technology start-up is introducing a way to move a whole subscription’s worth of TV onto the Web, with or without the subscription company’s permission.

Anand Subramanian, the chief executive of NimbleTV, a service that will begin a limited test in New York City on Monday. The start-up, called NimbleTV, will begin testing its service with a limited number of users on Monday. The service takes the package of television channels that a customer buys through a distributor like Dish Network, then streams the package onto the Web, allowing the customer more options for viewing than most distributors now allow. It also allows for thousands of hours of TV recording via a virtual digital video recorder.

Nimble TV

I use www.ch131.com and www.sidereel.com both are great for streaming, though mostly US content (some UK too)

For any Aussies in Germany, the Aussie ABC and also SBS have a lot of their content posted as free pod casts that you can download through iTunes to watch on your computer, iPad etc.

Hello, I'm about to move back to Berlin and my new landlord won't allow a satellite dish on the balcony, so I have to look for other options to have access to British tv. I've had Kabel Deutschland 'English language package' last time I lived in Berlin but to be honest it was too expensive and all the shows from the BBC were like 5 years old.

So my best bet is watching tv through the internet, I'm not a fan of torrents/downloading stuff, so I'm considering subscribing to one of those companies who stream tv online.

Has anyone in the forum used yet the company http://www.britishtv24.com/ ? With an Android Smart tv box and paying a monthly fee they offer live uk tv online through your existing broadband connection, it seems pretty good.

There's another similar company: http://www.watchbritishtvabroad.com/

So, has anyone used either or similar that they can recommend?

Cheers!

For the basic British TV channels, what's wrong with Filmon ? I always use it when travelling - it's free to use and risk-free. Otherwise get yourself a UK VPN and hook directly into BBC iPLayer and ITV player.

Agreed with above. Filmon is a great service for free.

If you want to go the VPN way for on-demand, then I recommend Overplay. They use a custom DNS service as well as VPN, so on UK channels, you generally don't even need to tunnel to the UK for UK TV. Really handy as it can allow a lot more devices to access UK television, including those that don't have the ability to configure VPN's (i.e. great for getting the content on an actual TV set) I have absolutely no problems with BBC's HD streams.

This is a great combination along with Filmon.

For Aussies and New Zealanders, they also have VPN servers in those countries, so all their catchup services are also available (Much much more than the non region restricted podcasts mentioned by mattiej). Unfortunately, being so far away, they can be a bit slow for that part of the world. But on the positive side, their custom DNS servers also work excellently for TVNZ allowing very high quality on demand streaming for the distance (not BBC HD quality mind you, but good enough for full screen viewing, and custom DNS the ABC - unfortunately though, even in Australia, the ABC video quality is very low.

The more Aussies and New Zealanders they get, the more it is worth them opening the other channels in that part of the world to their excellent custom DNS service, so just ask them. Apparently the full SBS service has excellent video quality. It's a bit slow with their standard VPN server, but if enough people ask for this to be included in their custom DNS service, from my experience they will add it.

www.overplay.net

There's another similar company: http://www.watchbritishtvabroad.com/

So, has anyone used either or similar that they can recommend?

I am going to try out this company and will tell you how it works after I received my set top box.

For watching online the easiest and fastest way is to get "Expat Shield". It's free and it changes your IP to a british IP no matter where you are. You can then watch the BBC iPlayer, itv player, etc.

I watched online for a while but it's not the same as watching on television with your remote.

i didn't read every post, but here is what i do to watch my U.S. tv shows. I use a program called hotspot shield which creates a VPN(virtual private network) to a server in the U.S.A., so that i get a U.S. IP, then i just go to CBS, ABC, hulu and so on and watch the show i want to watch. Sometimes it will show an error message, but usually cleaning the browser history (the entire history with all cookies and stuff), then closing the browser and then just opening it again and going to the site again fixes it. If this doesn't work just disconnect and then reconnect. Sometimes a few times, but this happens barely.

The reason it sometimes doesn't work is that if u don't clean ur browser's history, the site can see through cookies and that stuff that u accessed another site with a different IP.

Also sometimes, maybe due to high traffic, hotspot shield doesn't do actually establish a vpn, u get the message that ur connected and all the ads, but sometimes ur still using ur old IP. Just disconnect and reconnnect, better yet close hotspot shield and then launch it again.

Now most of the time, at least 8 out of 10 there is no problem, if there is, just do the steps above. If it just won't work on one day, try the next. Maybe Hotspot shield has to much traffic at the time.

BTW, i haven't recognized any data limit on Hotspot shield.

And don't follow the advice given somewhere, which says u should download the episodes from some site. It's first of all stealing intellectual property, second, if u get caught u look at some fees that are quite high.

This add-on for XBMC seems to work a treat for watching live TV from around the world. I've only just installed it but so far it seems to work great for UK TV at least.

Tim.

...hmm, reading a bit more it seems I'm lucky as the plugin is no longer under development and so doesn't work for many channels. For UK TV it seems ok though.

Tim

Sharing is caring so here goes, chrome extension to watch your favourite tv shows, all of them work except for Hulu, so enjoy :)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hola-unblocker/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio?hl=en-US

Hi All...

I've tried the http://www.ex-pat.tv/

So far, no success and for 30 a month I expected a little better!

If I don't get it sorted out this week I'll be cancelling that!

Sharing is caring so here goes, chrome extension to watch your favourite tv shows, all of them work except for Hulu, so enjoy

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hola-unblocker/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio?hl=en-US

This is an extremely good extension.

I've tried the http://www.ex-pat.tv/

So far, no success and for 30 a month I expected a little better!

If I don't get it sorted out this week I'll be cancelling that!

When others, that work out of the box cost 3.95€/month I don't really see why you started with it in the first place, or even why you want to consider continuing with it.

Apologies, I omitted the original quote, now corrected.

I wouldn't really recommend Hola either. There's no such thing as a free lunch, and the major downside of their approach is the additional load on your internet connection to use it, and the rather dubious, dark and legally questionable P2P background that Holo shares.

I usually use a VPN, but expired yesterday and am off on Holiday for a few weeks, so will sign up again when I am back. Hola is just a fill in.