Watching American and English TV online

91 posts in this topic

Hotspot Shield: I'm a little confused, does this program also mask your location? It appears to be more about protecting you from attacks when you are using WiFi? CNET isn't exactly raving about it, but it is free, so perhaps it's worth a try:

Hey Berlinda...I have no idea why Hotspot Shield never mentions in the description that it allows you to watch U.S. streams. I agree on the confusing description that CNET gives. I had learned about it on YouTube, and since it was a CNET download, I knew I could trust it. Now I can watch current episodes of "Castle" in English if I want to.

Hey there

For whatever reason, no-one has mentioned torrents. Here are some instructions

Using Bittorrents The best way that I have found to watch TV is to use torrent files and download the programs. If you don't know how this works, I will let you have a read about it on this website that I learnt it from http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/peersharing/a/torrenthandbook.htm ...the main thing is you have a bittorrent program which you download from this website http://www.bittorrent.com, you find the torrent for what you want to download (each torrent is like a tv program), you download the torrent file which is a very small file onto your bittorrent program and then this goes looking for the TV programme.. I've used this to download Prison Break, Survivor, Amazing Race etc etc

This link includes places to find the torrent files

http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/peersharing/a/torrent_search.htm

The one that I use the most for Amazing Race, American Idol, Survivor is

http://www.isohunt.com

But 4 websites that don't show on there are these 2. These are torrent files for programs from the UK

http://www.thebox.bz

http://www.uknova.com

and these ones which has programs from Australia and New Zealand. If you need an invite, just ask me

http://www.diwana.org

http://acrossthetasman.com/

Also, there are these 2 options for watching live American TV but the time difference is not so good.

Link to watch NBC in America

This link gives you NBC in America http://www.free-tv.dk/nbcwmp.html

TVU Player to watch CBS

TVU Player - download this http://www.tvunetworks.com/downloads/player.html and they have BBC1 and 2, Sci Fi Channel, CBS in America and lots of other crappy stuff.

Bit torrent is nice if you have no qualms about the "legality" of it, specially because the bit torrent protocol forces you to share the file you are downloading, as the downloaded/uploaded ratio in the swarm must always be 1. If you're going to use bit torrent I recommend turning on the ip blocker and/or getting a good proxy that guarantees privacy, though you're never completely "safe".

Can't comment on the legality of watching streaming videos, the legality of those sites is also very squetchy AFAIK, but probably there is no danger for those watching.

EDIT: if you decide to go the torrent way, eztv is a great site to download all sorts of tv shows. its great because you just go to eztv.it and all the shows of last night are there for download without having to search.

All the problems I have heard about regarding torrents involved movies, I have yet to hear anything questioning the legality of downloading tv programmes. I can understand the legality issues for movies using both torrents and streaming as we are meant to be paying to watch a movie, the same cannot be said for tv programmes.

unless you get that proxy to watch the streaming from the official sources like the network's site or hulu you are indeed doing something illegal.

Watching tv shows is not "free" as there are adverts, which you also get on the "official" sources for streaming. People in Germany wouldn't have a problem if hulu, for example, let them watch the shows directly from here, but there are licensing issues as well as much blah blah blah. Thats why even the proxy option is sketchy.

The point is, streaming isn't legal but the danger that you will be prosecuted for watching something streaming is practically null, whereas in torrenting you are actively sharing the file, and in so doing, helping the distribution of pirated shows/movies/software. Unless you take some steps to protect yourself the chances you'll get a letter regarding a fine or worse are higher, though I would admit still relatively low.

I also like watching Dutch TV, but unfortunately the streams on Uitzending Gemist can only be watched from within the Netherlands.

And am I correct in assuming that it is completely pointless to get a digital receiver or the likes, unless I want to watch TV auf Deutsch?

I am using Deutsche Telekom as my provider and I don´t have a problem with the streams on the Omroep "Uitzending gemist" website.

If you have satellite and can lay your hands on a Canal Digitaal card+CAM via a friend from the Netherlands then most of the dutch channels are on the same satellite as the german ones. You just need a box with CAM slot. (an Edision will cost you around 50€).

Unfortunately I have no idea what you're talking about??? Is Deutsche Telekom your internet provider? And obviously I don't have satellite.

Sorry if you were confused by my reply. Basically I have been able to watch the aforementioned Dutch TV streams over the internet from within Germany without any problems. Yes, Deutsche Telekom is my provider.

It was not that obvious to me that you do not have satellite because you were already talking about set top boxes to watch TV "auf Deutsch". If you did have access to a "German" satellite dish, you will also find the Dutch TV programmes there as well, but you need a decryption card from the Netherlands.

Go to filmon.com,download the live tv player.BBC1,2 ITV,channel 4,5 are all free to watch.For some of the other channels you need to pay first..

I've tried that but i get an error along the lines of the channel is "not available in your territory".

I'd love to know what I am doing wrong.

BBC 1/ 2 are also available sporadically on TVU just to add these to the mix of possible possibilities (with the Rugby starting tommorow for the next 6 weeks in mind).

If you like South Park, they have all their episodes available to stream from www.southpark.de You can watch them all in english too. It is all free and legal

Hey guys, stumbled across this site, called tvgorge, its a site were you can see all your favorite shows online sorta like hulu but this one lets you watch if your outside the US.

hope it helps

i dont know if im breaking any rules about posting website addresses.

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hey mate

Thanks for the http://tvgorge.com/ website, this is awesome.

All these sites are great but has anybody come across anything similar with kids tv shows?

Hello...I've been in Germany for a little over a week now and found these links helpful but I'm finding that the streaming is so slow... any other recs for watching American TV online? TV Shack was my best friend up until about 2 days ago and it's been so slow playing videos that I get frustrated and shut it down.

I tried one of the other sites mentioned but I got a ton of pop ups and since then my Mac hasn't been running the same. I'm new to Mac so I have no idea what to do or how to fix it.

Any ideas would be most useful!

Thanks a million!!

Sii: don´t wish to be presumptuous or rude but surely getting to learn about life in Germany and enjoying the unknown bits, the language, the quaint customs, eating horse meat and so on is more interesting than the TV programme you miss, or am I idealistic? ( yes, probably )

Lol, you are right... but it's the only thing that truly reminds me of home. I just married and moved here and most of my things have not arrived yet so I'm feeling a bit lonely during the day while my husband goes to work. I have ventured out into town (I'm in Bad Nauheim, about 20mts north of Frankfurt) on several occasions and have even driven the car but sometimes I'm just a little overwhelmed and honestly, watching good ol' Law and Order helps me feel better.

sii: I beg your pardon..I didn´t know you were in for the long haul! Welcome to Germany and a happy life with your husband here!

No problem at all...and you are right - I should be out and about but I am taking it easy as I know I will have loads of time to do that. Thanks for the well wishes :D

sii: I do understand the problems of living in another country..I´ve been living in other people´s countries half my life!! The toughest bit is getting the language together...takes a while but ,anyway, Toytown and its assorted psychopaths is there to help! Best wishes!

If you don't mind youtube-type quality, there are always the Chinese servers like youku and tudou where you can often find most popular North American TV shows and movies for watching online. Just search using the English name. No registration or fee necessary. Since I have a slow connection, I tend to bring up the page and then pause the show as soon as it starts and go away for a while for it to load. Then I come back and can watch it without any sputters or pauses once it is loaded. Most shows and movies are whole and not broken up into small pieces like youtube.

examples:

complete Mary Poppins on Youku

Stargate Universe on Tudou

Note: once in a while I stumble across something that has been dubbed into Chinese. But there's usually other copies with original English soundtrack. They often will have Chinese subtitles but that doesn't bother me.

@sjj158 - hey! I know how you feel! With everything new coming at you while settling into a new life, sometimes you do need a break with some mindless entertainment. Here's a site that has lots of US tv series - casttv.com. I have totally gotten addicted to Glee and 30 Rock, but you have to keep up with the new episodes coming out because after a couple of weeks from airing in the US, they start charging a fee to watch. I don't know how much the fee is. Most of the older series are free. Have fun...but remember, summer is upon us and do take advantage of any days of decent weather to get out and enjoy the city. There will be plenty of indoor time once winter hits...