DHL package falsely signed for

47 posts in this topic

Ok... Before I storm into the local DHL office and rant and rave at them.. I would like to know my rights etc..

On Wednesday I had a letter collected from Paris by DHL...

I got a tracking number etc...

So, Last evening I was wondering where it was as it was on a "Before 12" delivery.

I enetered te Tracking ID and it showed that I signed for it at 15.18 yestrday PM..

The only snag is, I was 40KM away from my office when I allegedly signed for it..

So... What next?

Wait to see if a neighbour turns up with the letter, Approach the DHL delivery man with a Baseball bat, go to the police or the DHL office?

Any other choices?

Thanks

SP

Phone them up with the tracking number and ask them to confirm you signed for it because you didn't. Ask what name and address they have on the package, etc. I had a similar experience with UPS. Their website claimed it had been delivered and signed for but when I rang their service line and complained they gave me a totally different address and said it had been returned to their depot and took my details to resend it to me the next day. Next day I got it.

PS: And be nice to the call centre person at DHL when you phone. It's not their fault and they're more likely to make it easier for you if you are polite but firm. ;)

Something similar happened to Cat yesterday. She was home all morning waiting for a delivery; when she checked the site around 12.30 pm the package had been delivered at 11.40 am, signed by Jaras. She found the package in the mailbox downstairs, guy didn't even ring.

Call the main office, make a polite stink and ask them where they really delivered your letter. If they insist that you have it lawyer up, get written testimonials by witnesses as to your whereabouts and make a big, smelly stink.

Anyone got a number for the main office or shall I go direct to the Sorting office in Aschheim?

has happened to me before too. The signature will have been scanned, so they can email it to you. Either the name is different (hopefully a neighbour, in which case you know who to ask), or if it is your name, you can also go to the police and put out an Anzeige gegen Unbekannt. Depends on how important the letter is and how much trouble you want to go to. If there is a monetary value, of course this will have to be reimbursed.

I give the DHL guy €10 every Christmas. I also cause a stink if the replacement guys mess up - e.g. they don't bother to deliver it after 3 days of it going out on the van every day or they sent it back to the UK. I have a high maintenance reputation with DHL but I don't have problems with my parcels any more - I've got it all choreographed. Sad I had to train them really.

In the first instance kicking up a stink, grabbing a baseball bat or going to the police really doesn't help until you have a better idea of the circumstances. The nearest post office only acts as a handling agent for DHL, so they probably won't be very helpful either. You KNOW it was delivered, but you simply don't know where. They should have left you a card indicating what they did, but maybe this has gone astray somewhere...

The DHL tracking site shows "Zustellungsasrt:" for each package - this should give a guide who/where it was delivered to. If that doesn't help them you can write them mail or call 01805 345 22 55 to speak to someone directly. They will have a scan of the signature and are happy to email it - this is clearly the first port of call, if you can read it... In none of these helps then DHL will instigate a tracking procedure which includes actually talking to the delivery man who is sure to know what he did with it.

going to the police really doesn't help until you have a better idea of the circumstances.

YL6: a rare case where you appear to have missed the point. I was the one who brought the police into the discussion, and it was for a specific case: if, and only if, the actual recipient has signed under the intended recipient's name. In that case, the intended recipient doesn't know who to ask, the dispatching company claims the intended recipient has received the goods, and it is a case of fraud. The police should in this instance be brought in if the intended recipient wants any reimbursement, as the police report adds credibility to his claim of not having received the goods.

This, btw, is exactly what happened to me. The package did later turn up, and it ended up being the courier's driver who signed (in my name) so he wouldn't have to take the package back to the truck, and he dumped the package in a dark corner of the huge building...where after much hassle and about 1 week, it was eventually found - luckily nobody had made off with it in the meantime. As the goods inside were worth quite a bit of money, I was advised to go to the police and submit the report to the seller in order to get my money back.

I wasn't quoting you...

So... What next?

..., Approach the DHL delivery man with a Baseball bat, go to the police or the DHL office?

Going to the police is definitely not the next (in this case the first) course of action

So... What next?

Wait to see if a neighbour turns up with the letter, Approach the DHL delivery man with a Baseball bat, go to the police or the DHL office?

Any other choices?

Thanks

SP

What next? Let me tell you what next. I'm gonna call a couple of hard, pipe-hitting niggas to go to work on the delivery boy here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin',DHL boy?! I ain't through with you! Not by a damn sight. I'm gonna get medieval on yo' ass!

Might not get this letter back but I bet he won't lose another one!

@YL6: oh, alright then. The somewhat less rare case of me missing YOUR point smile.gif (which is supposed to be a smiley, but I can't do them anymore)

To reduce the likelihood of such problems arising the future, you could join Packstation.

In brief, a Packstation is a computerised set of lockers where you can collect parcels at any time day or night. These Packstations are scattered around the city. Find the nearest one to you. And it's free!

How does it work?

1) Sign up for free on the website

2) They send you a Packstation number and swipe card.

3) When you order goods on line, enter your number in the address field.

(Mr. A. Smith, Number 123456, at Packstation 105, 83171 München)

4) When a parcel arrives, they send you a SMS and/or an email.

5) Go along to your Packstation, swipe your card and enter your PIN, and the relevant locker pops open.

The old man living next door to me used to take so many parcels for us from the UPS & DHL guys, they gave him his own handset for us to sign on!

He can now retire. But I pity the poor DHL guy who has to stand by the Packstation sending text messages all the time!

To reduce the likelihood of such problems arising the future, you could join Packstation.

In brief, a Packstation is a computerised set of lockers where you can collect parcels at any time day or night. These Packstations are scattered around the city. Find the nearest one to you. And it's free!

Packstation is also not completely perfect. I had an email from them one time saying that the Packstation had been full and therefore they were unable to deliver it so I had to go to Oberschleissheim to pick it up. I phoned them up and asked if they could deliver it to another packstation and they said no. I pleaded with them (explaining that it was for a present for my daughters' birthday) and in the end they managed to deliver it to the original packstation.

That same week my sister got the number very slightly wrong and so it got sent back to her address - arriving back at her house 5 months later.

I didn't use Packstation again for a long time but have started again just recently. No major problems so far, although my mother has sent two parcels posted at the same time - one arrived two days ago and I'm still waiting for the other.

If you have a problem call the helpline.

Remember that this is a big international company and they WILL come down hard on the people delivering if some funny stuff is going on.

Packstation is also not completely perfect.

I had one parcel too big for the Packstation. But conveniently, they sent me an SMS telling me it was at my post office. Apart from that everything has gone smoothly.

I have had packages sent to a Packstation before, but they never sent an Email or SMS to tell me to get it, so it went back to the sender a few days later.

The other big problem with Packstation is that its only avail if the package is sent via DHL, even then some companies still will not ship to a PS address.

You are being misleading. You just order stuff in the usual way. The sender can send it by any service they want including sending it from abroad to Germany. It's worked for me time and time again.

Ok...

Parcel arrived.. Only 22 hrs over due!

Not 100% sure what happened, but one of my Usual Posties mates got a slap on the writ for what ever happened..

Thanks for everyones input!

SP