English Speaking Jobs In Frankfurt

88 posts in this topic

Try the English Theatre in Frankfurt if you want to make use of your backstage or theater experiences.

Any advice at the moment would be great, cos I'm really running out of ideas.

Go to German school. That has to be your top priority. Find an intensive course. It does not take much. The unemployed people I did one with were in commodity work within several months (shops, food outlets etc). All of them - no exception, right through to war refugees with limited education. We see each other round town now and everyone's busy getting on with stable integrated lives, working, settling down, building families etc. But with no German, a lot of immigrants were nowhere. Just like you.

Some of my clients have factories and, guess what? As they are in Germany, they run entirely in German and so employ German speakers! Furthermore, a lot are science / technical / engineering concerns, it's not unskilled labour that anyone can just pitch up and do when it suits them - you need a scientific or engineering education. On top of that, a lot are hardly in a position to recruit in the current economic climate (read the press - the opposite is happening). Warehouses might be a slightly different proposition.

The cafes round here tend to be staffed mainly by immigrants....but they all have to speak decent German of course.

There are lots of architecture graduates in this area. Not only Germans but a lot of highly-educated bilingual East Europeans too. They can also find work....but often not in their field. Even a lot of German graduates are struggling right now.

You don't mention a work permit / visa status by the way.

Hi everybody! As many others on this site, I will come in 2-3 months to Frankfurt. I'm 25 and I'm coming from Romania, not far away. I'm an Environmental Engineer and I speak English fluently and also Italian. I've been working so far in an Oil&Gas company, which provides fully environmental services in this area. I have only one year of experience, but I know pretty much about this industry. I've searched on the German websites for a similar job, but without knowing the German language, I have zero chances.

From your point of view, which are my chances to find a job like this, taking all the above into account?

Roberta

hi,

im also moving to frankfurt in the next month, im from australia and im moving with my partner who is german! im a qualifed chef and just want to kno if it will be hard to find a job as a chef and do they speak english in the kitchens? i am slowly learning german. If anyone can give me some advice will most grateful! :)

For what type of work are you looking?

If you don't already have unrestricted access to the German labour market (Beschäftigung erlaubt/Erwerbstätigkeit gestattet), agencies are pretty much out.

I am not sure what you mean by restricted access to the labour market? I have an EU passport. I am looking for a job in Frankfurt - what I have in mind is an international representative job which would allow me to use my working experience, education (textile orientated) and language skills (although I do not speak German - but I am planning on doing the integration course in October, up to level A2). I know for example Adecco/Italy and Switzerland is very good (a knowledgeable person interviews you, they phone you with suitable offers, they keep your CV on their books) and that is why I would really like to know which agencies people have found helpful in Frankfurt? or which websites have genuine job offers which are good.

I am not sure what you mean by restricted access to the labour market? I have an EU passport.

Your profile says South African and if you didn't also have an EU passport it would have been a problem to work throgh an agency.

I know for example Adecco/Italy and Switzerland is very good (a knowledgeable person interviews you, they phone you with suitable offers, they keep your CV on their books) and that is why I would really like to know which agencies people have found helpful in Frankfurt? or which websites have genuine job offers which are good.

Having lived in both Switzerland and Germany, I have the impression that there are fewer positions that do not require German in Germany than in Switzerland. I don't recall anyone mentioning any particular agencies for professional positions, but I know LeonG has mentioned having success with Manpower.

Go to German school. That has to be your top priority. Find an intensive course. It does not take much.

^^ Best advice ever! www.vhs.frankfurt.de

Learn some German! Its extremely difficult to move to a foreign country with next to no language skills, and expect to flex your degree in whatever, leapfrog all the locals, to get some big bucks job in a hurry. It ain't going to happen. Or if it does, you're extremely lucky.

We are totally frustrated regarding the job hunt for my partner. He is learning German but wants and needs to work for his own sanity. And of course it is a financial strain.

Looks like he will be having to go back to the UK... :(

Well, you were talking about his lack of German in 2006 :( . Five years and counting - what happened? I assume it's the same one. But how many other people who have equipped themselves will have swept past him in that time? Thousands and thousands. Perhaps a more sustained effort is needed? Has he actually done the integration course now? That's what gets most immigrants here motoring on their way to fluency here, no big secret. (Read what the likes of poster wassimk have done to become employable). And after that an intensive B2/C1 course might help.

And while learning German, that is our "work" - student. Our job is to get functional. Four hours in school + homework + vocab learning + study is our work day. Sure we can self-actualise about being in the workplace but - short term - we have chosen to exit that and we have more basic needs. (And that can be no bad thing, after 20 years of work and with another 25 to come, integration school was a great break, like being a kid again :)).

What's his profession? I've said before here that most people I know that did the integration course were able to get into basic part-time unskilled work after a few months, if that's the field he wants to be in (and not everyone does). There are English-speaking jobs around depending on what your profession is. Another thing to consider is looking more widely across Germany. The other thing to do could be TEFL. That is good for getting you out and about and learning about work life here. Approach the usual places.

First of all, he is going to language school 3 hours a day and 5 days a week. Level A2 at the moment. He wants to have some fulfillment and actually work. He has the basic need of being needed in terms of work.

My partner has an MSc in Computational Chemistry, is a Research Scientist at heart, but more than happy to work in Account Management/Customer Service, where he has also years of experience.

He has applied to the WallStreet Institute, applied to most chemistry companies around etc...

I think sometimes you should be allowed to feel a little helpless and in need of advise...after all I thought this is what boards like this are there for.

Have a good day.

S

Hi

the firm where I work is always looking for people for some data entry/editing work.

English as internal communication language is ok but you need to be fluent in at least another language (specifically be able to write correctly without grammar and spelling mistakes), preferably Spanish, Italian, Dutch or French.

Some German is obviously welcome.

English as internal communication language is ok but you need to be fluent in at least another language (specifically be able to write correctly without grammar and spelling mistakes), preferably Spanish, Italian, Dutch or French.

Good god man. We're British (or American). Do you realise what a big ask that is?

And your going rate for this tri-lingual competence? Same 9-10 Euros that it's well-known in town (DA) that the agencies tout to young multi-lingual German graduates waiting for their entry level job (who usually turn it down)? Same going rate for data entry in Griesheim? Hence why firms are always looking. Fixed term contract too?

I was at the VHS and after a test they told me I could start at level 4 (there are 6 levels) - the course is every day for 4 hours and for 3 months! total commitment - hopefully after that the elementary knowledge I will have is ok - German is not going to be my strongest marketing point! I don't want to study for years to become fluent and if you think about it there is probably more of a chance of finding a job having different skills to what the general crowd has?

Permanent contract.

Don't want to be "touting" though so I'll end this stuff and keep on browsing around this helpful forums.

Permanent contract.

Don't want to be "touting" though so I'll end this stuff and keep on browsing around this helpfu

I am African,Kenyan to be precious.I was a teacher before relocating to Germany especialy in English.Am leaving in Baden Würtenberg and is looking for a Job.I don't mind relocating especially to Munich,Frankfurt when i land one.