Warning: Bad experiences booking with Expedia.de

42 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, Densio said:

So far only tried booking hotels with Booking.com - never failed in the >10X booking through it.

It is very rare for Booking to fail. Hotels and small accommodation need Booking, so they make sure reservations from Booking are well treated.

I've booked well over 100 hotels with Booking, in 12 or more countries in 3 continents, zero problems with reservations.

On 12/29/2017, 11:15:14, MikeMelga said:

It is very rare for Booking to fail. Hotels and small accommodation need Booking, so they make sure reservations from Booking are well treated.

I've booked well over 100 hotels with Booking, in 12 or more countries in 3 continents, zero problems with reservations.

I hope it stays that way! And if in case it does fail, I hope their customer service would be up to the task. 

I use Expedia more than 10 years and never had problems as well. I also booked intercontinental flights, but I never changed or cancelled flights. They were in the online market first if I recall correctly. Now, it's a jungle.

On 1/1/2018, 1:33:25, LukeSkywalker said:

I use Expedia more than 10 years and never had problems as well. I also booked intercontinental flights, but I never changed or cancelled flights. They were in the online market first if I recall correctly. Now, it's a jungle.

I found this EU portal for online dispute resolution for online purchases: https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr/main/?event=main.home.show - in case some of you haven't come across that yet. Might come in handy to navigate the jungle :-) 

I can't even count the times I've booked through booking.com and never had a problem until now.  Well, I guess there was the one apartment or hotel that was a bit dirty but I survived that.  Now however, I'm supposed to be staying in an apartment as of tomorrow and the host messaged me late last night to tell me that they are having a problem with booking, didn't get paid for some guests, and that they would like me to cancel and pay directly.  So I tell them I would have to pay a cancellation fee and they said no, booking will call us and we will waive it.  So I say ok, I could talk to booking and ask about it maybe.

So had a look this morning and yes, the host could actually waive the cancellation fee but no guarantee so if I were to cancel my booking and he doesn't waive it, I pay cancellation, have nothing booked and he can rent full price to someone else.  I'm now kind of worried that he will not honor my reservation but booking tells me he has to. :(

well, if he is asking YOU to cancel it, it sounds like booking is right and he has to honor the reservation, and he's perhaps trying to scam booking out of their commission.

I would have the same worry - that you'd have to suck up the cancellation fee and worse, not have a place to stay on arrival.  It sounds shady.  I think if your reservation stands and the host doesn't deliver the goods when you get there, you will have some recourse.  Does booking offer assistance with finding new lodging when the host fails to honor your res?

I think you have more power with the standing res than without it, so I myself would not cancel willingly.

19 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

I would have the same worry - that you'd have to suck up the cancellation fee and worse, not have a place to stay on arrival.  It sounds shady.  I think if your reservation stands and the host doesn't deliver the goods when you get there, you will have some recourse.  Does booking offer assistance with finding new lodging when the host fails to honor your res?

I asked booking to give me a number to call in case I am left standing on the sidewalk tomorrow.  They did.  I have no idea what booking will help with if that happens.  Certainly they would at least have to refund me the money.

I asked them to reassure the landlord that he will get paid.  They said they already contacted him and will let me know what he says.  I have texted him too and told him that booking promised that he will get paid.  He did not reply yet.

IMO unless the landlord has other better paying customers lined up, they are better off letting me stay and hoping that booking will pay them.  IMO if they have a problem with booking and don't want to work with them, they should just remove their apartment from the website.  It's as easy as logging in and putting availability to zero for every day in the future.

My boss' wife who will refund me my travel expenses at some point in the future is also renting out a house through booking and she said she always gets paid 10 days after her guests leave, like clockwork.  She thinks it's absolutely some kind of scam.

I poked around for a few minutes and it seems that if the host cancels on you last minute, you can just accept it OR you can demand relocation from booking.com in which case the host has to pay for any difference in cost for similar accommodations.

I could not find that on booking.com's site for consumers, but eg here is a question about it on their partner forum:  https://partner.booking.com/en-gb/community/just-joined-bookingcom/cancellation-host - maybe you can find more in the partner area.  the first reply in that thread is the only one worth reading by the way.  the rest is just whinging from hosts who think the cancellation policies are unfair

When these sites say your booking is confirmed, they mean it is confirmed for the hotel. Think about it. They have no influence on what happens on the ground. Which is why people book through third parties, rock up to the hotel and find they have no room. Booking.com cannot guarantee you will have a roof over your head. What they are guaranteeing when they take your card number is a client for the hotel. That sentence "your reservation is guaranteed" is misleading.

Now the landlord is asking me to pay a 300€ guarantee that he will get paid from booking.com

1 minute ago, LeonG said:

Now the landlord is asking me to pay a 300€ guarantee that he will get paid from booking.com

That's a clear violation of their TOS. Forward all the correspondence to booking.com

Never ever cancel the booking. It's not your problem, it's their problem. They are obliged to find a replacement hotel for you, and charge only the price you agreed before.

If you cancel, you lose all your rights for compensation (including compensation of price difference in case you are forced to go to another hotel).

Edit: actually, I did it once. Booked a hotel on a very remote Italian island, and got a mail in Italian in a week that they had a storm which cut off their Internet line, so they are politely asking me to cancel reservation. The mail was in Italian and I believed what they tell was true (I booked outside tourist season, in winter), so I did it and booked in another place since I did not want the hassle of arguing with them.

This is actually a work trip so my boss is paying and actually my booking is not just this week but the next as well, Sunday through Friday. My boss asked me to forward all communication to him and not to communicate further with the landlord. He seems to think that if the landlord cancels now we'll just get a refund but if he refuses check in tomorrow we can ask booking to find us a replacement.

I wonder if it's maybe not the actual landlord I've been talking to but someone taking care of it temporarily for him, hence the unwillingness to cancel the reservation himself and the attempts to get me to cancel and to pay cash.

26 minutes ago, LeonG said:

This is actually a work trip so my boss is paying and actually my booking is not just this week but the next as well, Sunday through Friday. My boss asked me to forward all communication to him and not to communicate further with the landlord. He seems to think that if the landlord cancels now we'll just get a refund but if he refuses check in tomorrow we can ask booking to find us a replacement.

I wonder if it's maybe not the actual landlord I've been talking to but someone taking care of it temporarily for him, hence the unwillingness to cancel the reservation himself and the attempts to get me to cancel and to pay cash.

Sounds very dodgy to me indeed. Your boss is right. Terrible. Hope everything works out alright.

1 hour ago, Anna66 said:

Sounds very dodgy to me indeed. Your boss is right. Terrible. Hope everything works out alright.

Will be fine, just have to find an all night McDonald's :)

Update: Booking sent me an email this morning saying that they looked into the matter and that no deposit is required.

I made my way to the address and met with the landlord. Young guy, seems actually very nice. He invited me into the apartment and showed me around, then wanted to talk about the deposit and showed me a receipt he'd already written. I asked him if booking didn't clear things up for him because their email to me kind of implied that they did. He said no. I showed him the email and he said ok, no more talk about a deposit. I asked him why he is still offering his apartment on booking if he doesn't want to work with them and he said he is going to wait and see. I pointed some other websites out to him that he could work with. Then we talked for a long time about all kinds of things and then he left. The apartment is actually very nice.

On 10/5/2019, 9:38:01, LeonG said:

I can't even count the times I've booked through booking.com and never had a problem until now.

Used them 5 or 6 times to book hotel rooms.

What I found out after the 2nd time was that if you find a room through them you should then ring the hotel up and tell them you`ve reserved a room through Booking.com and most times they will offer you a better price.

Last time we stayed at the Bodensee I saved just over €170 by doing that.

Some people may consider this underhand but not me.

I've done that before but I just rang them up and told them the price I found on the internet and they always matched it or gave me a better deal. Then I only had to deal with the hotel in case there was a cock up.

9 hours ago, Keleth said:

What I found out after the 2nd time was that if you find a room through them you should then ring the hotel up and tell them you`ve reserved a room through Booking.com and most times they will offer you a better price.

They are not supposed to give you a better price if you book directly but many do. I have had different offers too like double room for a single price.

When I am traveling for work though I like going through booking because I have a lot of reservations to keep tabs on plus the confirmations in one app. Paying less means savings for my boss, not for me. If he wanted to, he or his wife could book my hotels but so far no interest there.

10 hours ago, Keleth said:

Some people may consider this underhand but not me.

Yep, they are not allowed to offer you a better price but if they know you you can negotiate at least 15% commission they charge each hotel owner.

Paying less means savings for my boss, not for me.

Even though they get the same 20% back by filing a tax return and listing this as business expenses.