Warning: Bad experiences booking with Expedia.de

42 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Just want to briefly share a recent experience with Expedia.de with the hope that you can avoid it. Not German bashing per se, more like sharing a lesson learned.

I purchased a flight on Expedia.de, from Munich to Tanzania. Range of €1000. The same day, I called and changed the flight to depart a day earlier.

Expedia policy is that you can change (cancel and rebook) any flight on the same day with no additional charges.

The first booking shows up as "Inaktiv", and the new one as "aktiv". Everything OK so far.

In the financial process, Expedia first gets an "authorization" to charge (proof I have the €),

and then turns the authorization into an actual "purchase" (transfer of money) once the booking is complete or services rendered.

You can see this online in your credit card or debit card accounts - first an authorization, then it updates to a purchase.

They were supposed to cancel the authorization, since the flight was cancelled.

Instead, Expedia turned it into a purchase. My money is gone, but they know that they cancelled the booking (I have spoken with them on the phone).

I now have to go through the claims process with my bank to get the money back. Might take 30-90 days, and is a pain (filling out forms, etc.)

Lesson to you all: beware cancelling a trip on Expedia. Expect to watch your account to make sure they refund the money,

or start a claim process right away with your credit card / bank if it turns into a purchase.

Just want you to avoid this situation in the future.

Regards,

Jeff

I also had a bad experience with them earlier in the year. A hotel in Tunisia which I booked through them debited A) anonymously and B) far more than the amount advertised on the expedia site. At first, I couldn't even find out who it was who had booked the amount, as I had booked several hotels at the same time via different sites. I had to write to all the sites and ask, and all the others confirmed it was not a booking made through them. Only expedia remained unconformed, and their "terribly" helpful answer was that they didn't know, as this was a partner hotel and so I should ask the hotel directly - for whom I had no email address or anything. So I was left unsure whether the charge was "just" an overcharge made by the hotel (who obviously wouldn't be interested in the rate expedia advertised; my contractual partner was of course expedia, as was theirs), or whether it was a totally erroneous charge (possibly made by a hacker who got my details off my various online booking activities).

I had the creditcard charge reversed, which resulted in loads of paperwork about possible fraud, a new creditcard etc etc... then months later I got word that expedia wanted the money...and I finally got my bank to fight it out with them and a new charge - interestingly enough, the very amount expedia had originally advertised - was made to my new creditcard. I sent loads of emails to expedia pointing out that I had asked at the time, and they were extremely unhelpful. I also complained to the Verbraucherzentrale, but they didn't seem terribly interested.

Finally after the whole thing was finished, I wrote to them and told them I would never use them again, and they replied saying oh, sorry, sorry, but not our fault, and here's a creit note for 10€ to use against your next booking with us.

No thanks.

EDIT: bugger, I can never get an emoticon when I want one..and now look what's gone and happened

When posting, click on Post options and un-check Enable Emoticons.

Or go out to dinner with a mod every now and then and she'll edit your post free of charge.

Ta, sarabyrd..that fixes up the unwanted B) then.

For desired emoticons in future I'll have to go with the second line though, cos I can't get them since the last TT update either. But going out to dinner with a mod now and then should be doable I think!

Husband also had a similar problem with Expedia. I forget the details but it took a lot of time consuming aggro and fuss to resolve. Would not use them again.

I've been using Expedia.com and Expedia.ca and Expedia.de for almost 20 years for flights and hotels and have never had any problems. I don't use them exclusively, but Expedia is always one of my first places to look online and compare prices.

It always used to be one of my first places too. But after the above experience, which cost me a shit load of time and nerves, I'm not interested in them anymore. It is just not on for a company to back out of their contractual obligations and tell you to fight it out with the third party.

That said, it doesn't mean that other websites don't do the same thing...but you only know once it's happened once. Had expedia fixed it up immediately, I would have thought: ok, one mistake/miscommunication between them and their partner hotel. But since they just refused to sort it, I won't touch them or recommend them again.

yes, I do tend to use opodo mostly now. Had used them in the past too, but not exclusively.

Btw, it was expedia.de I had the experience with. Not sure if .com works the same way or if they're independent.

I wish I'd seen this thread earlier, so I could have totally avoided booking with Expedia.de.

I booked a Christmas flight for an aunt this July, but when my aunt arrived at Frankfurt Airport, the airline could not find any ticket under her name. It was clearly written on our booking, "Ihre Buchung war erfolgreich. Die Reservierung ist bestätigt und Sie müssen uns dazu nicht noch einmal anrufen" so how come there's this problem? I called Expedia.de and apparently no ticket was issued for our booking. They told me it was due to a technical problem with their system. The solution they gave me was to book a new ticket costing 4X (yes, 400%) the price of the ticket we first booked and the customer service staff told me that I do not have anything to worry, they will give the money back within 2-3 days. I had to cough up that big amount of money in a couple of minutes (pulling it out of a savings account) so that my aunt could travel, trusting that Expedia.de would keep their promise. (No) surprise, they didn't. And they required a lot of documentation, a lot of calls on their toll number (oh yes, you also have to pay to call them) before I could talk to the folks handling the refund. Let's see if the money (which doesn't even refund all of incidental costs arising from the problem they caused), indeed, arrives in my bank half-a-month from now (which they promised). This problem has now eaten up around five hours of my time, apart from the stress which caused my aunt's blood pressure to shoot up upon finding out she doesn't have a ticket and a prolonged anxiety of losing my savings.

Echoing jeffny, lesson learned: be careful with third-party booking sites. Book at your own risk. 

Strange, I booked a series of flights with Expedia (4 in all) for October and all went perfectly to plan, no problems thankfully.

5 minutes ago, Malt-Teaser said:

Strange, I booked a series of flights with Expedia (4 in all) for October and all went perfectly to plan, no problems thankfully.

We were plainly unlucky although the airline at Frankfurt said that it happens once in a while with some of their customers who use Expedia.de that their ticket was not issued. I think it would be safe to use Expedia.de for cheaper (short-haul) flights, but now I would think twice or thrice in using it for more expensive long-haul flights. 

Or perhaps after booking a ticket with Expedia, you could call the airline itself to confirm that the ticket really was issued 

My experience with Expedia has always been great!

They send a booking confirmation, along with the airline code, and I check-in online.

It seems to me that Densio just got unlucky, and technical problems can happen in any area of life.

2 hours ago, Santitas said:

Or perhaps after booking a ticket with Expedia, you could call the airline itself to confirm that the ticket really was issued 

Yes, even if it will take a lot of time, just to make sure I can fly! ;-) 

2 hours ago, robinson100 said:

My experience with Expedia has always been great!

They send a booking confirmation, along with the airline code, and I check-in online.

It seems to me that Densio just got unlucky, and technical problems can happen in any area of life.

Even unluckier because the customer service was not really up to the task - it would have been better if they changed the ticket themselves because they caused the problem in the first place, but being asked to buy a replacement ticket costing €3100 and be refunded later on (only God knows when) isn't really doing the customer appropriate service, is it?

I never had problems, but only booked a hotel over expedia. Flights I always booked seperately directly with the airline. I know though, that in general changing or cancelling flights can be a pain.

If you book not directly with the airline, use this website to check your ticket: 

https://www.checkmytrip.com/landing/?nui=2

If your booking does not show up there within 24 hours (or directly after you get "electronic ticket" from your travel agency), there can be a problem with your booking. The same problem can appear with any travel agency, the only way is to book directly with the airline. But then you will lose the opportunity to get nice prices...

I have a cousin that works in the helpdesk of Lisbon's airport. He told me to stay away from Expedia and all those online companies.

By far, they are the ones with most complains and wrong/missing tickets is a common cause.

On 12/27/2017, 12:40:35, Anna66 said:

I never had problems, but only booked a hotel over expedia. Flights I always booked seperately directly with the airline. I know though, that in general changing or cancelling flights can be a pain.

So far only tried booking hotels with Booking.com - never failed in the >10X booking through it.

On 12/27/2017, 4:45:25, yourkeau said:

If you book not directly with the airline, use this website to check your ticket: 

https://www.checkmytrip.com/landing/?nui=2

If your booking does not show up there within 24 hours (or directly after you get "electronic ticket" from your travel agency), there can be a problem with your booking. The same problem can appear with any travel agency, the only way is to book directly with the airline. But then you will lose the opportunity to get nice prices...

Thank you so much for the tip! This is the one affiliated with Amadeus, am I correct? But looking at the opportunity cost, I think direct booking would be cheaper. I am sure the cost of time lost, anxiety and stress if something goes wrong would be way more than what I can save (as was in this case).

On 12/27/2017, 8:31:27, MikeMelga said:

I have a cousin that works in the helpdesk of Lisbon's airport. He told me to stay away from Expedia and all those online companies.

By far, they are the ones with most complains and wrong/missing tickets is a common cause.

Oh wow. Thanks for the warning! I'll keep this in mind and warn others.

Never had a problem with Expedia and I've been using it since 2006 (Canadian and German).  Once I've received an email that my flight has been changed so I called and they booked another flight for me for the same price.