Getting an E104 form for Health Insurance

43 posts in this topic

I need an E104 form from the British Government to hand over to my health insurance here in Germany, but I'm not sure how to go about this.

I've searched online, but there doesn't seem to be a definitive way to go about it. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Also, is this another form I'll have to wait a good 10+ weeks for, or is it reasonably quick to get it?

I have not done this but a quick google search reveals that the process is that there is a first form to fill in - sort of to apply to get the E104 certificate. It is Form CA3916 and is available on the HMRC website for download. It asks about your past UK employment history, when you moved abroad etc etc.

Fill it in and send it to the given address which is HMRC UK centre for non-residents in Newcastle. That is that part of HMRC that deals with those of us not living in the UK, so presumably you may have already had contact, when you told them you left the UK etc. My dealings with them have been good, not super fast but not super slow, albeit not on this particular issue, and certainly accurate. They are also good when you call them so do that if you have any questions - better from the "horse's mouth".

I haven't told anyone from the UK that I have moved abroad, I just went and did it. Should I have?

Technically I suppose you should tell them, if only for tax purposes but I guess once you apply for an E104, they'll know.

I haven't told anyone from the UK that I have moved abroad, I just went and did it. Should I have?

There is a form that you are supposed to fill in on departure, at least in respect of tax (p85). That's how they usually know - dunno what to do if you've never worked, maybe just fill in the bity you can? However, no doubt a lot of people don't do it or do it late, so I'd not worry about that, just tell them now the date you left (the actual one - if you just put today they will have a gap on your study / employment record which may impact your entitlement to having benefits transferred). Look the form up on the web - or perhaps just add a note to this CA form, just somehow tell them, perhaps copy your German residency registration too. It is exactly the sort of situ you are in now that makes that notification important that the UK knows you are non-resident (also impacts pensions, possibly tax etc).

Always quote your NI number (and any old tax no if you had one). That's how they reference you.

Ok, cheers Swimmer.

Just to ask you something that's slightly remotely to do with my original question - I arrived here in May and moved into a flat in June I believe. I went to the rathaus and got the forms saying I stayed here.

I then got a job in August 1st, and in September I moved into a new flat, getting a new form from the rathaus.

When I signed up to my health insurance, they saw the second form from the rathaus and just presumed that I had moved here in September. I didn't say anything at the time as if they saw the original, I was worried I was going to have to backdate my insurance to June, which would be around 500-600euros.

IF they find out I moved in June, will they backdate the payments, or will it only go back to August from the time I started working?

Dunno I'm afraid Simmie. I've heard heré that payment can be backdated to the date you move here. I suppose that is the risk if you now start using an earlier / real date compared to the later on they picked. I think you just have to decide the dates you use and live with them. Cos you now have different ones floating around in circulation, there's always a risk someone authority start to match them up but, there you go, that can't be undone now, so try not to worry.

In your position (just my opinion, not advice, you need to decide), I'd probably tell the UK a date that matches with what you've told Germany. I seem to recall you were a student, so what you were doing then is probably not too visible to the UK authorities. My dates don't match either bur they are only a bit different and this was before the new health laws.

Simmie:you got lucky..you would be liable for backpayments having registered much earlier.Kee :D p quiet about it!

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

I called up HMRC a few weeks ago with exactly the same thing, they were very nice and said to do the ca form (you can find it by searching E104 on the hmrc website) even though I'm a student and have never paid tax etc, so you should be fine with that.

I haven't done it yet though, and the BKK seem to have sent me my membership card through already...

What happens, after getting the e104 and successfully subscribing to the German public health system, if you need to go back to England at a later date? I assume you can reverse the process?

hey everyone

i really need some help!

i am applying at TK for my health insurance and they now ask for e104.

i have not worked in england for 5 years. and they still think i am living there

i have been registered in berlin for 4 years,i have been using my uk e111 card for

treatment since i have been here, i did this because i was always going to and from uk

all the time,

also i never applied for health insurance in germany because i am scared of back payments.

i have been working in germany on and off aswell , sometimes black but some legal

i am on tax system as freelancer and declared my tax 2010 and 2011 already.

i do not know what to do, would i have to back pay, is it best to tell the truth etc,,

please help me!

i really want to get german insurance.

Sorry, mate - but you were not allowed to use your NHS EHICard anymore under the circumstances you described - that is made abundantly clear on the NHS website. Once you have set up your main residence in Germany (center of living), it is totally pointless if you still travel to the UK and get some treatment there: you have had to have a health insurance that fulfills German laws. Which you didn't and now have to face the consequences:

1) if you have been living in Germany for so long, as you said, and paid taxes here since 2010, you can't enter the public health insurance as a voluntary member anymore. This is only possible if you sign up during the first three months upon taking up residence in Germany. You can only go with either German private health insurance (requiring back-charges) or an international health insurance from an EEA-based and BaFin approved health insurance company.

2) if you have to sign up with public health insurance now because you got an employment with a gross salary below the threshold and thus have to take compulsory public health insurance, then you are up a certain river without a paddly. Because now the TKK will have to check i) since when you have been resident of Germany and ii) how you have been insured during this time. Lack of adequate insurance coverage will lead to back-charges.

So, in the end, the first question is: do you only want to enter public healht insurance in Germany now (and why?) or do you HAVE to enter public health insurance because of employment. In the first case, forget about public health insurance all together and set up a private health insurance - and in your situation probably only an international one will work. If you have to enter public health insurance, you'll be facing back-charges based on either your tax returns or at least the min. contribution for self-employed/freelancer of around 320 EUR per month since whenever.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Hi everyone,

I have a question about E104. I have contacted HMRC UK about applying for E104. I was told that the German health and tax people need to request form E104 from the UK Tax authority once I have registered. Only the German authority can, it cannot be requested by ordinary people.

Now, I have read your posts and it looks like I can do it by myself.

My background:

I have lived and worked in UK for 10 years. In November moved out from UK. My boyfriend started his job in Germany in November. At the same time I came to stay with him for few weeks. Then I was in and out of Germany travelling in Europe. Now I have decided to stay in Germany. I would like to register myself here as a resident. My boyfriend want to put me on his health insurance until I find a job so I will be able to use German health service.

My questions are:

1. Should I register myself here as a resident first?

2. After registering in Rathaus, should I do what HMRC UK advised me and let German health people request for my E104 or should I do it by myself as you advised above?

3. If doing it by myself, should I apply first for E104 and then register as a resident in Germany (does it make any different?)

4. Will I have to make any backdated payments on my health insurance in Germany?

5. How long does it take to get E104?

Thank you very much for any help

I can't give any answers to your questions about the E104, but did want to make you aware of the following misconception:

My boyfriend want to put me on his health insurance until I find a job so I will be able to use German health service.

This is only possible if you're married. German bureacracy does not recognize longterm partnerships, in their eyes, you're single unless you're married.

I.e. you'll need to get (and pay for) your own insurance.

Good evening, Jmalx, and welcome to Toytown!

As the.frollein correctly points out: you cannot get onto your boyfriend´s public insurance ( in fact, it´s not clear from your post whether he has public or private insurance but, anyway, you couldn´t get onto his private one, either! :) )

If you register now, you should also apply now-ish for health insurance because it takes time. Yes, you need to actually APPLY FOR it. That includes filling in an application form, providing a copy of your passport and a copy of your registration. Yes, you can let the German public insurer hassle away in the UK for the E104 form. You cannot do it. It would be easier if you had an employee job as you wouldn´t have to go through that bureaucracy...I have heard from people it can takes weeks/months...

Please also make sure you know what you´re applying for - you are not a so-called compulsory member/Pflichtmitglied but would (because you´re not an employee ) be a so-called voluntary member (freiwilliges Mitglied ).

Example of where to do it ( assuming you don´t need help):

http://www.tk.de/tk/english/610312

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Hi

Just wondering if anyone can help me. I'm trying to cancel my health insurance as I have moved to Switzerland. I finished in Germany in on 30.09, and I registered in Switzerland on 14.10. I have Pflichtversicherung (mandatory health insurance) in Switzerland. In Switzerland, you have 3 months from your entry to choose an insurer - so I got round to it on the 01.01.15. The law in Switzerland states that you are then covered from the time of your entry (ie it covers the 3 months you had to choose insurance company)

http://www.bag.admin.ch/themen/krankenversicherung/04114/04123/index.html?lang=en

To cancel my german insurance, the German company wanted a e104. The problem is that my e104 from my swiss insurance company states that my insurance began on the 01.01.15. Now the German company want to charge me the full insurance premium for October-December - even though they have a copy of my Anmeldung in Switzerland, a copy of my work contract, and I have sent them the link explaining that the insurance covers me from in date of entry to Switzerland.

Has anyone else had this problem? I surely can't be the first person to move to Switzerland from Germany.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

I wonder if any one can help me. I am looking to move to Germany, and to get onto the German public health system. Private Insurance quotes start at 750 euro per month going up.  I am over 55 and understand that 55 is the cut off age to move onto the public system without having previously been on another EU system (the E104 or S041 from Uk). I was on the Uk system, but 30 years ago. I still have a NHS number and have applied for my NI number. Having phoned NI in UK, I understand that I must apply for E104 etc through the German TK or similar public health fund and from what i read this can take some time.

What i would like to know is; what is the likelihood of getting an acceptable E104 S041 document after 30 years of non engagement with the system? Or should I, as others have done above, get a letter from a Uk doctor i have visited.

Does anyone know? 

Thanks in advance

Good question from snowing again, newestguy!

30 years ago in the NHS won't help at all- the key question is which system are you currently in?

And what will be your status in Germany? Retiree? Privatier? Self-employed? Etc

Re private insurance: how healthy are you? Are you burdened by a chronic illness?

Prices of private insurance don't necessarily start at 750 euros a month unless you are REALLY old🤓- if so, they probably wouldn't take you anyway!