German public toilets

43 posts in this topic

There's a discussion going on in one of the threads about the fact that you have to pay for using most German public toilets. Personally, I find it a bit weird that you have to hand over 30c or 50c to use a toilet, but I won't complain about what different cultures do.

Instead, I want to celebrate the best and worst of German lavatories. What do you get for your money?

Best:

Ladies loo at Heidelberg castle. The toilet monitor there has made creating a comfy lav into her life's mission and has set herself up with wall hangings, a little tea and coffee area and cushions. It's the cosiest toilet/lounge I've ever seen.

Worst:

Neustadt/Wein train stations. Your money will buy you entrance to Dante's lower circle of hell, where the floors are awash in urine and there is vomit down the walls. It goes without saying there is no toilet paper.

You don't have to leave a tip but you may well get some Turkish/Polish/Russian/German/etc comment to your back if you don't. Those guys live off the tips. If the toilet is clean I'll leave them 50c but if it isn't, I don't. The cleanest toilets are usually at the Autobahn rest (petrol station/restaurant) stops.

I saw a very clean toilet at a Shell station on the Autobahn somewhere but it had no attendant, just pay to open the door. I noticed when I flushed, the seat rotated to clean itself.

Special mention to the toilet in the One World lounge at Frankfurt Airport - it's Japanese and has fifteen settings. I tried them all, though I thought the 'tornado' flush wasn't so much a tornado as a delicate breeze.

I will apologize to the gas station bathroom guy in advance...sorry dude. On the autobahn driving back from Garmisch I stopped (for business) and on my way out, the guy was looking for his tip. All I had in my pocket was US coins. Oh well, he got about 1.50 in US coins and tried to chase me down while driving off to give it back, like WTF am I gonna do with this shit?. I just kept driving and giving him the "your welcome nod" :)

The toilets at Erfurter Dom cost you 50 cents to go through a turnstyle into the seventh depth of hell. Simply nasty. It would have been a rip off for 20 cents. A disapointment to say the least.

Otherwise it is a big thumbs up for local style pay as you do toilets from me. :)

... Personally, I find it a bit weird that you have to hand over 30c or 50c to use a toilet, but I won't complain about what different cultures do. ...

Well, I remember having to spend a penny when using public toilets in the UK as a child, so this custom is not unique to Germany.

... you have to hand over 30c or 50c to use a toilet

you don't

You are both right... Bars and Restaurants have to provide free toilets for their customers, but they can charge non-customers.

You people are telling me there is a charge for pissing on to the wall?That used to be free. only the sit down facilities were charged for.Haven't used (paid) any for a quarter century B)

Hey why not!!! Something different to the white white white ...

Pity they did not think of getting nicer/matching floor tiles. Although they would camouflage spillages. :blink:

My experience of German public toilets in general is that they mostly stink of stale piss.

sarabyrd, so fantastic you had those photos on hand! I really like to think you saw the post and ran out with your camera!

I have to say, tipping some poor bastard who cleans up after people's bowel movments for a living is as almost as satisfying as finding a toilet seat that isn't covered in schmutz! Well worth it, and if you don't have any change, you just don't tip!

I saw a very clean toilet at a Shell station on the Autobahn somewhere but it had no attendant, just pay to open the door. I noticed when I flushed, the seat rotated to clean itself.

Agree with Leon. In most restaurants in autobahn you'll get very clean toilet for only 50 cent and with the toilet ticket you can get some discount for the food too! Toilet in Köln HPF is the most expensive one, 1,10 euro without automatic flush or rotated cleaned seat or automatic water to clean up your hand!

Okay friend just said the price is cheaper now...1 euro, but :angry:

The public toilets at the Römer / Paulskirche in Frankfurt. Always spotless, always smells good, decent decor. I don't mind paying .50 € for that experience.

Worst are the ones in the dept. stores, like Kaufhof and C&A. They always stink, the toilet brushes are about 10 years old (which is why it probably stinks so bad), they just look decrepit and the toilet ladies do give you a dirty look if you don't throw something on their plate.

Self-cleaning toilet seats are great. They have those at the Berger Kino in FF.

The very worst - Just a hole in the floor at a huge restaurant in the center of Milan. I thought I had time-traveled.

The rest stops in Ohio. They are usually just pit toilets. Disgusting! Makes me embarressed to say I am from there

Question - Why do the restrooms here so seldom have hot water?

Upside-down world strikes again. Husband has to be verbally abused and coerced into leaving more than 60 cents on a €40 bill in a restaurant but maintains that tipping the toilet attendants is the only way they make a living and that not doing so is unscrupulous. Of course, it is the only way servers make a living as well, but he reckons that they make at least €5 an hour, whereas toilet attendants make as little as €2 or even nothing at all. Now it is my turn to be Steve Buscemi and play the tiniest violin in all the world just for the toilet attendants. I'm all about hard work but even I don't advocate scrubbing toilets for free, perhaps it is time to get a different job...? There are plenty of cleaning jobs where not much German is needed that pay €7 and €8 an hour.

I also feel entitled, if I have patronised a restaurant, to use their toilet. In some places it is the law--if you serve food and/or have seating for X amount of people, you must provide a toilet for customer use. Even the crappiest döner shop in the world has a toilet you can use for free; honestly I could care less about whether the toilet sparkles as long as I can do my business un-"attended". How gross is that anyway, someone sitting just outside the door as you, you know... do your... stuff

Moondancer, good question. Some health minister visited the upscale bistro I worked in, in Vancouver BC, in response to customer complaints that there was no hot water in the ladies'. Of course it had just broken and we'd known nothing about it, but people actually took out phone books and made calls to government offices to report a broken tap. Health ministry said we'd be shut down if they problem wasn't solved immediately. Hot water is the law!

I think of that every time I use the toilet in a restaurant here and there is no hot water. What sort of gross germs is this cold water, no soap and no paper towels not getting off my hands? Eeeyuck.

I really like to think you saw the post and ran out with your camera!

Here you can view the peacocks from a different angle.