Buying a snowboard

79 posts in this topic

Damn, I'm so used to TT being the pot of magic answers, is there no fix!? I'm gonna have to go buy new boots and sell these. Grrr.

Why don't you just get heel implants?

I'm assuming that's not a snowboard term for some type of boot filler and you are talking about surgical implants. I don't have enough money at the moment but I'll look into it next month.

I do the extra sock thing, but only on the foot that is smaller than the other. Never had problems with it.

Nah, the extra sock isn't going to help anyway - there's too much room. I was just curious why I kept seeing warnings on various internet sites saying 'DO NOT wear extra pairs of socks!' etc.

We went to the Bittl Lagerverkauf today (Fridays and Saturdays). As a tip, get a customer card from them to save 15% on non-reduced items. We bought a snowboard, boots and bindings which they kindly put together as a set, meaning we saved ca. EUR 330 in total!

Address: (SBahn Allach, 2 second walk)

Georg-Reismueller-Strasse 5

80999 Muenchen Allach

The girl who advised us (Heidi?) was amazing - really friendly, lots of tips, and explained the differences between the different things they had in stock.

went to titus today to get some new bindings and I highly recommend them. The guy that helped me out what super nice and adjusted my bindings for me and showed me how everything works and said if I have a problem just come by...not the kind of service I am used to in Germany :)

and they are having a bit of a sale now too so might wanna check it out.

Go to the shop 'Boarders' near Harras. They know their stuff cos they're all boarders themselves and will kit you out with everything you need according to your budget and skill level. They'll even let you try the board and boots for a day or 2, and if you buy them you don't pay the rental cost. Pretty cool if you ask me. Don't be shy about asking them to knock a few Euros off either.

Boarders

Boarders is going to close. Maybe already closed?

Hmm. After spraining my middle finger last weekend snowboarding (yeah now it's really easy to flip people off)... I decided to get a bit more wrist protection. Found a nice rollerblade kit with elbow, knee, and wrist protection for 6.99 at Plus (in Neuperlach Zentrum). I guess they often have this kind of kit.

Hell of a lot cheaper than the 20 euro my friend paid for wrist guards alone at a ski shop, when he lost his gloves a couple weeks ago...

ok i know it's a crazy time of year to be asking but does anyone know of any stores that are CURRENTLY selling snowboarding gear? i've checked out the big sports stores and none of them are stocking stuff and Boarders (a store referred to above) unfortunately appears to have closed down.

i was hoping to find lots of gear at a nice discount. probably just a pipe dream but if anyone knows of anywhere, i'd appreciate the tip.

What boarding gear are you looking for? Boarders didn't actually shutdown. It looks like they were bought by PlanetSports, who have occupied the same address. I was in there about a week ago, and they were selling boards, bindings and boots.

As for the other stores in town, if past years are anything to go by, they should start trying to sell off some of last seasons stock around the begining of October. If I see or hear anything, I'll drop you a PM.

Edit: - Just had a look at the Boarders website, and seems that they haven't been bought out... Says that there will be a future boarders project.

Have a look in Sportscheck in town, there are a few of last years boards reduced and if you look hard enough a few other bits such as jackets and pants halfprice from last season. They also have the full range of Burton gear for the coming winter. Otherwise Titus near Isartor has boards and gear on sale all year round.

@mothbola - thanks for the tip. i've tried calling and emailing Boarders but have had no response so í assumed they closed down but will check out planetsports. i'm after a board and bindings plus i figure i'll invest in a helmet this season, been hearing too many stories of crazy head injuries lately...

@SCAK - i've checked out sportscheck in town (marienplatz) a few times and couldn't find anything - do you know what floor the boards were on? i'll also check out titus. cheers for the info.

Hi

All the info above has been really great. Thnx!

I'm a real beginner, and was wondering what set up you would recommend for a girl. Also any recommendations on bum padding! My first and last attempt at boarding resulted in a brocken coccyx, so I'm quite keen to get suited up as best as possible.

Most ski/snowboard shops and definitely motorcycle shops carry impact shorts. You wear them over thermal underwear and, depending on how good they are, should be lightweight, protect thighs, tailbone and yo' ass. I've seen some crazy prices for them though, so best to look around.

Jumpman Pro

agree with JP on the butt protection situation. but if you're a real beginner, i'd also recommend wrist protectors - some gloves come with them or you can buy 'em separate.

just an update on the snowboard store situation - titus is no longer around. however, a store called goodstuff is in the same area (near isartor) and selling great gear (some of it ex-titus stuff). i bought a whole bunch of stuff there the other week including a board and was impressed with the service and prices (bought last season gear).

Thanks, will check out the wrist protection too.

At this stage I'm also considering just getting wrapped up in bubble wrap and rolling down the slope!

What would you say is a fair price to pay for a new board, for a novice?

Infact, as I pretty much need to kit myself out from head to toe, what kinda budget should I look at?

Vix

There was a sale last Thursday at Aldi for ski/snowboard apparel. I was at the Aldi at Rosenheimer Platz yesterday and there was still some stuff left.

I'm a beginner as well, so I tried to get most things either second hand (board, bindings) or on ebay, Tchibo or at Aldi (jacket, thermal undergarments, boots, helmet, gloves) for a lower price.

But as a rough estimate, I can say I've spent maybe about EUR 200-250 for equipment. A relatively new sportstore just opened on the ground level of Motorama at Rosenheimer Platz (also where Aldi is) and they have a selection of snowboards and ski/snowboard apparel. Maybe they're worth checking out too.

Regards,

JumpmanPro

Def. check out Sports Expert for boards! I just got a women's Burton feather board for 149, marked down from 329. They had lots of Burton on sale if thats what you're into.

Though I am having a real go of it trying to find boots that will fit my little feet--Seems they are too big for kiddies shoes and too small to fit most of what the shops are carrying in womens...

Also, the man in the shop said that flow bindings are not the best for beginners, something about the stiffness of the back part...anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sports Expert: where is that? i'm also in the market for a new deck. burton would be great. discount price, even better!

i rode flow bindings the last couple seasons. they are quick to get in and out of, but really difficult to set up properly. i never got mine to fit quite right and have ditched them in favor of traditional straps again. (if anyone's interested in size L flow FL-11's, drop a line). the new flows seem to be much improved, but it makes sense to start with straps. there's more adjustability and you can find what kind of fit you like before trying out other bindings. my $.02 ;)

Its across from the Olympia Einkauf Zentrum. Take U1, I think... Good selection of boards esp. Burton, but not so much with the rest of the gear--its a good idea to shop around for the rest of the stuff.

I have decided to go for Burton Emerald Boots in White/Silver (which no stores in Munich are carrying) and Burton Stilletto Bindings which have a nifty toe cap type strap to keep the boots snug...so a quasi-compromise from the Flow Binding. Both of course, will match my lovely new board. ;)

Sports Expert aren't bad. I got a Burton Bullet board there, and a set of Burton Mission bindings for 310 euros. The board itself would normally cost 300, and the bindings 200 so I was reasonably happy with that. However, I got that when they had their 16% off sale. They do must cheaper deals when you buy them both together (you could get that same deal as me just with 16%+ now), however at that price you are probably better off at Sports Bittl. YOu can sign up for their customer card for free, and that gets you 15% off everything, all the time.