Road cycling - Group training rides?

100 posts in this topic

Good to meet you today Iain. Too bad your back went out. We will keep a spot for you when your ready to hit the road again! Excepting for losing one soldier and the soaking rain, it was a very nice ride. Next week we hope for more agreeable weather! <signs off to clean bike>

my own fault really I had had a bad week with it, I had slipped two discs three years ago. I thought it would be OK but it was obviously just waiting to happen

Is anyone keen for a Saturday morning ride? 150mins ride. riding at about 35km/h when moving, hehe, my average is usually about 31-32km/h because of the traffic lights, rail crossing, ...

I don't care about the route, neither the time nor the place to meet.

Miaolive - Sounds like a great plan, but I am leaving town this weekend to ride in Switzerland with a friend. I should be back for next weekend (including the Thursday holiday) and I will put up a post if the weather looks good. Enjoy the weekend!

I'm also keen on going for a ride with you guys. Although I also can't go this particular weekend. Maybe next weekend.

I really want to get to the Jachenau/Eng/Lenggries/Achensee area to go for a ride coming up. I hope the weather holds up.

Hello,

I am moving to Munich in September and would like to race. Did you find a club to race with? Can you recommend standing group rides for training?

Thanks!

ncfitton - I have ridden a few times during the week (T,W,Th) with the RCC guys who meet at 18:00 at the northern entrance to the Perlacher Forst. The riding is well structured and often includes some high tempo opportunities. Friendly and skilled riders with good English (if needed). For now, I am living on the north end of town (Garching) and haven't figured out a regular riding group, but when I do, I will post it here. Good luck with your move!

Just an update. We arrived in September and we are living in Gauting now. I emailed some local clubs about racing and getting a license to race but i haven't heard anything back yet. I have been commuting to work but i don't think i will ride too much over the winter. Nevertheless, the racing season looks like it starts in April so i would like to get involved with a group as soon as possible.

msax - Unfortunately I can't train outdoors during the week, but would like to join any weekend training rides. Please post if you learn anything. I will do likewise.

Hi everybody!

I'm new in Munich and new to road biking as well, so new that I don't even have a bike at the moment but I'm probably buying one very soon.

I would like to know if some people are still riding even though the weather is quite cold? Like I said I'm new to road biking so not so experienced but I' very interested to start to get the experience and it would be much more fun of course if there would be other people riding as well. So if there's other newbies or people who would like to take a newbie to ride with them please inform me with a pm or just write here!

I haven't been riding much as of late as I don't have my road bike set up for night or rain riding (that's when I have time "night" to ride and the weather has sucked lately). Anyway... for NCFITTON, I don't want to be a downer but count yourself lucky if you get a response from almost any company or organization in Germany that you attempt to contact by mail. My experiences in the last five years haven't been to encouraging. I've tried road and mountain biking clubs as well as various companies in both English and German and have only ever received a couple of responses.

Your best bet might be to flag down someone in a club jersey sometime and see if they can help you.

I run a mountain biking race team for 29'ers here in Europe (Big Wheel Racing Europe - http://bigwheelracingeuro.wordpress.com/) but have yet to find anything that resembles the clubs that we had in Kansas City where we had multiple rides per day or evening to choose from every day of the week. People just don't seem to do that here.

Evenutally, I gave up trying and ride by myself about 99% of the time and my wife occasionally joins me on the weekends. In spite of all that, I'll take riding here over riding back home almost anytime (well, with the exception of the singletrack which was far better in K.C.).

Erski - Welcome to road riding! Some of us are still riding (for me usually when the roads are dry), so let us know when you get a bike and we will get something organized depending on the weather.

Iain - Get well soon, we'll look for you in the Spring!

i will ride with anyone of any experience level, i just want to get the miles in over winter and prefer not to ride on my own. please leave a message here or email me through my profile page if you want to ride.

dominic - i'd like to join you saturday. please let me know.

wunnspeed - i also have a mountain bike, so i'd love to train off-road with you whenever.

Also likely heading out on Saturday towards the south (8-9ish out of Grünwald depending on weather, just to get the kms in, looking at 60kms or so).