Road cycling - Group training rides?

100 posts in this topic

I am new to Munich and enjoy road riding with a fast (30km/h) group of cyclists. Does anyone know of any regular club rides that leave the Munich area? How about a recommendation for a masters racing club? I would like to train for gran fondos on the weekend and to be prepared for riding in the Alps when the snow melts. Thanks!

A friend of mine trains with RC Concordia.. Nice bunch of guys, regular rides, and races. They are all German, but shouldn't be any problems to talk in English as well. Let me know whether you need further info.

Whereabouts in Munich do you live? I often go out road biking this time of year, provided it's not too icy/snowy. I'm eying-up some MTBs on ebay.de as road biking was pretty miserable last winter; I can ride the speeds you are talking about without any problem.

I ride solo pretty often, but freezing temperatures dampen my motivation. I'd really like to have some riding partners. It's probably too cold/snowy to hit the mountains, but there are still some fun rides around here, but there isn't much climbing that i know of other than the alps :(

I have a flat tire and I'm out of patches, so once bike stores open tomorrow I'm game.

Is there a particular day/time you need to ride? I'm pretty much always free.

I'm also far from being in the Master's age of riding :P but riding averaging 30km/h for 80-100 km sounds just like my rides.

I had a really nice 2h ride out there today, even though my gears and brakes froze :o I was surprised at all the other bikers out too; I saw a lot of groups. Anyone else venture out today?

I'm free this Sunday and the following weekends (& Friday afternoons) until Saturday 13 Feb. If anyone wants some company for a few kms, I'd be happy to oblige. Given the time of year, early starts are probably a no-go, unless the weather warms-up a bit!

PM me if you're interested :D

I'll be cycling this Saturday (06.03), heading west towards the lakes. Either round Starnbergersee, either round Ammersee. I'll start from U-Bahn Partnachplatz, the rides should be respectively around 90km or 100km+ when startin from there.

30km/h is way out of my league, I have noodley legs and usually ride in the 23-25km/h range average.

PM if interested, I sure hope there will be less wind than last weekend.

I could do with someone to push me a bit, Im working as a cycle courier so lots of stop start 5 km runs at the moment average in town 25kmph 120 km on a good day. I think Ive passed my 57 minute 25 mile time trial peak but can still keep up or hyperventilate trying. Would love to get out a bit and push the legs if anyone fancies a partner

As I look out at that setting sun, and know I should have gone out for a ride, I am realizing that I could use some riding partners, too. My limitation is that I do not have my road bike in Munich, just my touring bike. But I am still riding clipless so I could join some slower, getting back into the swing of things road riders.

Anyone interested in a Thursday, 5 pm ride leaving from Olympiapark?

I'd also be interested in more details about the routes people are riding -- after work 40-50 km routes, and 80-100 km weekend routes.

A ride for getting back into it sounds like just what I need. Warning, I expect that I will be slow.

I may be able to do either tomorrow evening or Saturday, so if anyone has anything planned how about posting it here.

My favoured after-work route leaves from near Olympiapark and goes out along Lerchenauerstr. and up to the Olympia Regattastrecke (and often further north from there towards Ampermoching), but any other suggestions leaving from near the Schwabing are would go down well too.

Well, Bron, do you want to try for tomorrow & see how we match up now that we've switched from skis to bikes? I could a little later than 5 if that would help. And if anyone else wants to join up, come along. Is there an obvious spot at Olympiapark to meet? I'm suggesting there because it has seemed to me to be the fastest way north from Schwabing.

Olympiapark? Sounds far too urban; it takes me about 3 mins to get on to open roads :P

I could perhaps meet-up for an early ride on a weekend some time; maybe meeting somewhere on the edge of Munich. Now that it's warming up a little, I'm riding comfortably above 30kph for 100km; so could be a chance for some cobweb removal?

Tomorrow evening is great for me although 5:15/5:30 pm would suit me better than 5 on the dot. The best place to meet is probably the open area in front of the ice-rink (it´s very close to the Olympiaturm).

I´m expecting to be a bit slow with the after-effects of a virus, so I won´t be offended if I get dropped.

@Jorgan, no way can I go that fast at this point in the season unless you are offering to pull me along on a tandem. Which Ironman are you doing this year? Anyway, whilst it takes us longer to get ontot the open road we do have a superb selection of Olympic-sized swimming pools here in Munich so I think it evens out in the end.

OK, 5:15 meet, leave by 5:30 pm ride, Thursday April 8th at Olympiapark in front of the ice rink (don't know it, but I'll figure it out!) for a road ride following Bron's route. Everyone welcome -- if we find we pace well together this could become a regular thing.

And Jorgan, unless you guarantee a tailwind in both directions, there's no way I'm averaging 30kph on my touring bike. Perhaps you missed the emphasis on a slower ride... (:

And Jorgan, unless you guarantee a tailwind in both directions, there's no way I'm averaging 30kph on my touring bike. Perhaps you missed the emphasis on a slower ride... (:

I was thinking more of couriers who ride up to 120km a day and used to ride 57 min '25s'; that's got to keep him fit :)

I was thinking more of couriers who ride up to 120km a day and used to ride 57 min '25s'; that's got to keep him fit

Sounds like you would be a much better riding buddy for Iain than I was. He was always about 2km ahead of me on the one ride we've had together some weeks ago. Okay, I'm s l o w and wimpy, but still.

/me prefers randonneuring at leisurely pace.

I enjoyed the ride Troy, just as I said, if someone puts cyclists in front of me its bound to provoke me into catching them. Jorgan, Im not sure Im up to the 30kmh point yet but if there are two or Three of us and we "bit and bit" properly it should work, Ive had a long break from racing, round about 18 years (that maybe is showing my age) i do need to get back into the riding though. I miss it.