Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Liberation of Dachau - 60th anniversary

95 posts in this topic

It was 60 years ago today that the concentration camp at Dachau was liberated by the US army.

You can read about it here and it does make some very interesting reading.

I cannot begin to imagine what those soldiers must have felt on entering the camp that morning.

post-16-1114785878.jpg

Thank you Turnip for sharing that. I took time out to read it all.

What horrors are going to come out of Iraq in the future I wonder?

I wish the "liberation" would have happened a little sooner. Not after everyone was dead already!!!

Cheers Turnip.

V. interesting, although everyone knows that the Russians and Allies raped and murdered Germans during and after their advances.

I found this quote quite powerful:

"Several GIs turned their backs on two inmates beating a German guard to death with a shovel. One of the inmates had been castrated by the German they were murdering."

Harrowing,

Thanks for posting that link, I am sure we will never know exactly what happened and would never know were it not for a few individuals keeping a record.

There is a remembrance march along the Würm this weekend where many of the prisoners were forced to walk.

I was driving along the Wurm yesterday, passing those memorials to the Dachau death march. It's frightening when you think how far they were forced to march and their condition at the time. Even worse, these death marches were repeated by the score in the last days of WWII.

Makes moaning about work seem not so important.

It's even sadder to hear that some people are denying that this ever happened and that the Holocaust was made up.

Or that today's Jews are making a habit of harping on about the Holocaust when it does not effect them.

Now I wonder what English language Munich based chat forum I read that on?

@ Rania

well at least David Irving got his comeuppance for Holocaust denying

Or that today's Jews are making a habit of harping on about the Holocaust when it does not effect them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I read that recently! It's pathetic how some people live here and don't know what is going on or rather don't want to know.

still pretty uneccessary to machine gun all the German prisoners though

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i think thats might be what they refer to as a war crime. Probably why the information didnt come out until 1991.

Yup, its tough, but I would have to agree that machine-gunning German SS monsters was morally wrong. It made the Allies, in that instance, no better than the German filfth they had come to conquer.

especially as all the real hard nuts had disappeared off a few days earlier and left the juniors in charge. I can see why you might gun down people in an initial rage but lining them all up systematically and gunning them down is not exactly the sign of a moral victor. Although obviously the atrocoties carried out in the camps are 'infinitly' worse if compared

I agree in the cold light of day, from the comfort of being sat at a computer, but you must consider that these guys had been marching for about 500 days in all and were probably utterly beyond the pale in morale and exhaustion.

You cannot obviously condone it but you can understand it. Imagine stumbling across this death camp when you had never ever heard of would have believed it were possible.

But what do you expect? Human beings are human beings. That kind of stuff goes on everywhere around the world. Rape and murder and other forms of humilation have always been part of invasions or war.

I wonder how many Jews these SS solidars humilated, beat to death and raped in the camps???

Yup, its tough, but I would have to agree that machine-gunning German SS monsters was morally wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"morally wrong to kill these monsters" would you rather have them walking around today denying that it ever happened? The people denying the holocaust today are the children and grandchildren of these monsters.

Already I sense this thread descending into bullshit. They deserved a trial - none of us knows enough about it to say if they were regular guards or what - the fact that they're wearing combat dress suggests they weren't. But I wouldn't expect anybody to apply anything like logic to this when you can just suggest that killing everybody is a good idea.