Four candles, it must be advent!

37 posts in this topic

Right then,

With the Two Ronnies sketch firmly in mind I shifted my winter lethargic bod with the kids to fetch some branches to make an Adventskranz yesterday. I'd not bothered for years, loving them but didn't want to buy them as it felt fake, yet never bothering to make them either. But yesterday, with a load of rolled up newspaper, wire and branches filched of a conifer tree in the fading light yesterday, I made such a wreath.

Here's a pic:

post-32-12593130078625_thumb.jpg

Here's a bit more detail in my blog

No, but I guess you would need a polystyrene circle - saw them at Obi yesterday, and then simply plant all the bits and pieces on top as usual - should float!

D'you mind if I ask why you would want a floating one?

I made one that isn´t a wreath, but basically Oasis cut into four pieces on a plate, with lots of green stuff covering up the Oasis, and then four candles bunged into place - each at a different height.

Some dried rosehips, and a couple of slices on clementine and Bob's your Uncle!

I`ll try to post a picture when I have time...

Here we are:

The Two Ronnies and Four Candles for a touch of Brit humour!

I'd like to see a photo as well. :)

A couple of months ago my boyfriend got me a big bowl with floating candles for Diwali. It was plain but looked very beautiful when all lit up and I kind of fancy preparing something similar if possible.

It is easy to get floating candles but not sure about wreaths. I like some of these in Butlers, but I doubt if they'll float.

I had my German auntie visiting this weekend, so I thought I'd try and mark the 'Erste Advent' too - required a bit of improvisation. I have these four tealight holders with spikes on the bottom, and I had a couple of lemons which had more or less completely dried. So this is what I ended up with:

post-86270-13224259603453.jpg

I made one that isn´t a wreath, but basically Oasis cut into four pieces on a plate

Ahh, my idea of a great Christmas present. Liam and Noel dissected.

On a more serious note, any Brits on here of a certain age will remember this:

post-32009-13224260159573.jpg

And here is a video with Janet Ellis, some coat hangers, tinsel and some baubles - and as far as I can see no sticky-back-plastic. Sorry couldn't find the John Noakes version!

And speaking of the four candles - you know that German-Iranian ref who tried to commit suicide last week? Well, before I saw his name in print, I was convinced he was called Baba Grafati.

That's great creativity, gillian!

Well, thank you, but I'm all embarrassed now - I guess it's just so obvious to me that I forgot to mention that the fruit bowl is always sitting on the table, with varying amounts and types of fruit. All I had to do was to position the dried lemons & stick the spikes into them, so no big deal really!

I hope the photo can still be seen - had to shrink it! Oops! seem to have lost it! sorry!

I give up!

One last try:

YAHOO! The fog has lifted!

One small step for mankind; one huge step for R100!

post-28554-1322488564214_thumb.jpg

Sooo the wreath is sort of submerged, still like it though. I think I'll also add some of those floating deco that I saw in Butler but didn't buy eventually. Any tips on how to improve it (apart from removing the label at the bottom?) <_<

post-92903-13224918961302_thumb.jpg

Any tips on how to improve it.

Well given that yesterday was the 1st Sunday of Advent, you might want to try lighting one of the candles.

P.S. Just joking - it's so gorgeous I wouldn't want to light it either.

On a more serious note, any Brits on here of a certain age will remember this:

Course we remember that one! Mr noakes himself. Did you know he gave Val one? Gossip that I am.

'Angers. Angers for coats!

We were given a beautiful one this year and dolt that I am, I haven't even got ours decked with candles yet! I did however dig out the Holy Helicopter (see my blog) and got that spinning.