Turkish car dealers: Good or bad?

27 posts in this topic

What does it matter if they are a Turkish, german or bleedin martian car dealer. A car dealer is a car dealer regardless of ethnicity, there are bad ones and good ones.

Your wife would appear to be somewhat racist as Krieg says, and I have to say, even asking this ridiculous question tarrs you very much with the same brush.

back to my original point just looking for advice... not to start a topic on racism or anything like that... just looking for a little help

I would think that a turkish car dealer would actually give you a fairer shake than the native-born variety. 1) Their clientele is probably a bit more international, price-sensitive and therefore better-informed price discovery-wise, 2) I'll bet they're willing to dicker a bit more rather than just keep pointing at the window sticker and repeating "that's the price" and 3) if your profile is correct, you might even get preferential treatment as a fellow "guest" resident.

Give them a try ... but clearly leave your wife at home whilst you do so.

I only do 2nd hand cars and most 2nd-hand car dealers here have Turkish ancestry. I've bought my last 2 cars from them and they've been fine. Actually the guys I dealt with were very friendly, though of course they want my money. That said, people are people and some of the Turkish dealers are also best avoided. One thing you should watch out for are dealers you may think are Turkish but are actually Afghan, North African or whatever. The Turkish guys I deal with always tell me to avoid them. ;)

edit: I concur with what Expaticus wrote. I also tell them early on that I'm an Ausländer and they are certainly prepared to haggle to the last cent. The Turkish guys also usually offer lower prices, which is probably why there are not that many 'German' dealers left.

The truth of the matter is that you should never trust a car dealer be it male or female, turk, german or jerk!!! They are all after top money for their assets and cannot be trusted. Mmmmm just like bank sales reps, insurance sales reps and double glazing salesmen.

And I certainly never trust someone who knocks on my door to tell me that they have just finished re-surfacing the A9 and have enough tarmac left over to cover my driveway! That must be one of the oldest tricks in the book.

Rather a well spoken, knowledgeable Turkish dealer if I feel he won't rip me off, than a sleezy German dealer.

Of course the converse is also true.

Rather a well spoken, knowledgeable German dealer if I feel he won't rip me off, than a sleezy Turkish dealer.

But I'm biased. I would prefer the Turk, because if he likes you, and you make it fun for him you can get a good price. Of course he's happy to take a high price if you're gullible.

I'm very happy with my Algerian bike shop corner Theresienstr, Schleissheimerstr. He fixes rather than replaces, I don't bother asking for a price because always charges me fairly, I get to speak French with him.

And when I was buying 5 mobile phones on eBay he agreed to accept the packages which was way more convenient than having them delivered home.

There was a Turkish bike shop Schleissheimerstr which closed down about 3 years ago. They were brilliant, and between the Turks and the Algerians I've had 2 unsatisfactory German bike shop experiences.

Guess I'm getting prejudiced myself!

Try an Iranian dealer - like the Turks only more interesting to talk to over coffee.

Honest - well as far as any 2nd hand car dealer can be - relaxed and open about the costs.

Now if you go to one of these street car sales then you will meet any number of ripoff merchants and the vast majority of them are non-german but if you go to a dealership then the ripoff merchants there are all Germans but the difference is that the street guys don't pretend to be doing you a favour when they try to rob you and everyone knows the score.

the car is not turkish, its actually a Seat Leon, but the dealer is turkish

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

seriously that was a belly laugh *wipes tears*

got my car from www.auto-kisin.de owned by a turkish family, no problems whatever.

anybody already bought from a martian? they seem so green...

I used to sell used cars for a Cadillac/Buick dealer in Fort Walton Beach Florida. It was crazy. I had an old Mercury Comet or something similar that had about 60K miles on it. I mean this car was clean and was about a 1960's model (not entirely sure). But some guy comes on the lot (and it's my UP) and shows interest in it. So he sits inside, asks me if the car has ever been smoked in? I mean it's a 1960's model, how would I know. But my wit came to play and retorted NEVER, this car belonged to a little old lady who drove it only to church on Sunday, hence the super low mileage. So he starts it, and the noise was really different. He asked me if the muffle was bad. I replied with the only thing I could think of and said "Oh lest we forget the battle of the glass pipes and Mustang timeframe". So he crawls under the car and sees that the muffler has a huge hole in it. Oh well, anything to roll the car, we used to give the Oklahoma warranty of 30 minutes or 30 miles, whichever came first. B) P.S, I would trust the Turkish guy. :)

I wouldn't buy a car from a Turk.. Don't trust them. Probalby would tell you to go down the road and have tea with his brother Achmed in the carpet shop..

Now now now.. Who here has actually spent much time there? I did, and that comment about sums it up.. Were some great places - Capadocia, Olympos, Istanbul.. But man, NO I DON'T WANT TO BUY A FXXXING CARPET - FROM YOU OR YOUR COUSIN!!!

But whoa whoa whoa... Somebody here has a good honest hard-working Turkish friend, so they're all like that...

But man, NO I DON'T WANT TO BUY A FXXXING CARPET - FROM YOU OR YOUR COUSIN!!!

Hmm, I didn't think this topic was about carpets. But what the hell, since we're on the subject. I would buy a truckload of carpets from the chick that played Genie. And I'd bring my own bottle. :P

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience dealing with a turkish car dealer before... My wife says that they will only try to rip me off, even though not every car dealer is the same... i would appreciate any remarks on this topic, thanks

So I don't get it...why are people giving PosingOwl negative points? It seems like a good question from an "Auslander". In Integration Courses, Turkish students are not treated as well as students from other countries, even if they are actually trying to learn the language. They're sort of ignored and written off from day 1. Btw the people working at the Auslanderamt flat out told us that the reason all Auslanders are supposed to take the Integration Courses is because of the Turkish immigrants who don't, can't or won't learn to speak German but live in Germany their whole lives.

Not that I condone prejudice towards the Turkish or any other non-German ethnicity, as an Auslander, it is a little bit hard to understand the prejudices Germans have to people of different ethnic backgrounds. We hear a lot of mixed information and it just seems like all PosingOwl wanted was a little clarification.

I bought a car from a Turkish guy who has a car lot here. Told him I want cheap transport. He pointed out 3 cars ea for 800 Euro. I bought an older Mercedes. Drove it for 3 years no problem and traded it back to him for an older BMW and 300 Euro. Been driving that one for over 2 years. I like the guy. All he asked was to " please tell your friends to come see me"

Get over it people, I have delt with Turks before and yes they will try and rip you off (ofcourse not all of them) for example it has taken my this Turkish window repairing guy more than a month to get my upstairs window done, he was alays coming up with excuses and taking advantage of the fact that I had already paid him and that I was a woman (or so I assume) the work would have been done within a week if I was dealing with Germans...and I still remeber this incident of these two Turkish guys trying to rob me off my phone and threatening me till I had to call the police...so don't be so quick to call it racism, oh and a friend of mine is a doctor and Turks come in badly hurt (from domestic violence) and they actually threaten him saying, if it hurts, they going to hurt him, I mean honestly what's wrong with this people? Plus, I have a friend whose black and whose been called 'nigga' three times here in Germany and all three times he's been called nigga by Turks...