Advice on moving out and getting an abmeldung

8 posts in this topic

I am moving out of my flat at the end of January to move out of the country. I've spoken to O2 which want a letter confirming cancellation of my contract and a copy of the abmeldung before ending the agreement, but I can only get my Abmeldung the same day I move out.

Do you think that this going to mean I will pay an extra month? I am worried that because I cannot get it in advance (and because I will leave the country the day after) I will not have enough time to deal with this.

What are your experiences/suggestions about this?

Thanks.

mrsoda

I presume you're on a contract with O2. I moved back to the UK in Oct & told O2 before but they still said I was cutting the contract 8 months early so wanted 8 months money worth! Bastards.

Also had problems with Vattenfall & Gasag. Could never get over the way in Germany everything is underestimated & you get yearly bills. I always had extra Betriebkosten to pay, extra electricity, extra gas blah blah, & not by a bit but by loads. I had been paying 45 euros per month electricity in Berlin & when I moved out & gave them the meter reading they said I owed them 345 euros!! & Gasag said I owed them 1,100!! So if I had stayed my next monthly bills would have been 70 euros electricity per month & 135 euros gas! Realised how much cheaper it is here in the UK, I get monthly electric bills which are £27.56 meter read & gas is way cheaper. Problem in Germany is everything they quote you is minus VAT & in UK utilities include VAT which is 5% for utilities, Germany is 19%!! plus per Kwh is twice as much.

Anyway back to the subject matter in hand. I had no end of problems cancelling services, contracts etc (Even Postbank wanted 11.50 euros to close the account! Cheeky bastards) so if they do present you with bills there are only 2 choices

1. Pay up

2. Close your bank account & fuck em off, which is what I did.

& why bother doing an abmeldung? Tell them nothing. All that "have to register, de-register crap". A country with way too much bureaucracy & no customer service. My partner is German & she's now been living in the UK for 2 months & already wants a British Passport! Lol! Said she didn't realise how rude Berliners were, how regimented the system is, how bad customer service is & how crap the supermarkets are.

Good luck with it!

I had issues too to cancel some DSL and Phone accounts. They aren't solved yet :(

I presume you're on a contract with O2. I moved back to the UK in Oct & told O2 before but they still said I was cutting the contract 8 months early so wanted 8 months money worth! Bastards.

Also had problems with Vattenfall & Gasag. Could never get over the way in Germany everything is underestimated & you get yearly bills. I always had extra Betriebkosten to pay, extra electricity, extra gas blah blah, & not by a bit but by loads. I had been paying 45 euros per month electricity in Berlin & when I moved out & gave them the meter reading they said I owed them 345 euros!! & Gasag said I owed them 1,100!! So if I had stayed my next monthly bills would have been 70 euros electricity per month & 135 euros gas! Realised how much cheaper it is here in the UK, I get monthly electric bills which are £27.56 meter read & gas is way cheaper. Problem in Germany is everything they quote you is minus VAT & in UK utilities include VAT which is 5% for utilities, Germany is 19%!! plus per Kwh is twice as much.

Anyway back to the subject matter in hand. I had no end of problems cancelling services, contracts etc (Even Postbank wanted 11.50 euros to close the account! Cheeky bastards) so if they do present you with bills there are only 2 choices

1. Pay up

2. Close your bank account & fuck em off, which is what I did.

& why bother doing an abmeldung? Tell them nothing. All that "have to register, de-register crap". A country with way too much bureaucracy & no customer service. My partner is German & she's now been living in the UK for 2 months & already wants a British Passport! Lol! Said she didn't realise how rude Berliners were, how regimented the system is, how bad customer service is & how crap the supermarkets are.

Good luck with it!

Yeah, they hit us too, as they did our neighbors, for Hundreds of Euros, and we're barely using anything.

exactly. with O2.. i've just been on the phone to them and they want 15 euros for every month that i will not use their services, so the beauty of 225 euros. i am considering closing my bank account as you suggested although since i pay the phone bill on a direct debit, i think the bank will want confirmation from O2 that i do not owe them any money..??

as to vattenfall, they told me that they only need the meter reading at the time of übergabe and then they'll send me the final bill, no need for letters or abmeldung copies..

Hello,

I am in a similar situation. Did you find a way out to get the Abmeldung or convince O2 to do away with the Abmeldung? I would prefer to settle this amicably with O2 rather than cutting them off by closing the bank. The latter will be my last resort.

Hi, I moved out of Berlin 2 months ago and did the abmeldung while leaving in Feb. But I haven't filed the taxes of 2019. I stay in Vienna now. Is there a process to do it from Vienna ? Can someone please suggest  what can be done in this situation ?

You should just be able to do it online, either accessing the documents, printing them out and mailing them or doing it electronically.