Is German TV awful?

66 votes

1. 1. Is German TV awful?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

53 posts in this topic

wee Mun, what specifically don't you like and how is the British version better?

<Note: I am playing a bit of devil's advocate here>

I do not like the dubbing, I think the language should be original with subtitles, and I think the German production stuff eg. Verliebt in Berlin is complete shoit. I hate the ads for ringtones, and if I ever meet tweety I am going to stamp on him. The one thing I reckon are half decent are the consumer programs.

The UK obviously shows everything in it's original language, and produces some fantastic television.

Click on S4C the Weslh language channel.

Subtitles are in Welsh on 777.

Translate-eight-eight is on 888.

Easy.

Subtitling on German TV is a joke.

@Grtho: Ugh, German TV is crap! But I do not subscribe to Sky and never will.

I hardly watch any TV OG but I did in the past 8 years or so (I was TV-less before my ex arrived on the scene and am again now)  and I do ocassionally see a bit of TV by accident. TBH, I feel more than qualified to talk about the general trends I see in broadcasting in Britain and Germany than the ex-pat who just goes: "Ugh, German TV is crap" before settling sown to watch some Murdoch Phlegm on Sky.

I think there are fundamental things that Britain does better than Germany: Broadcasting for minorities for example. Some things Germany spanks the UK: Regional broadcasting for example.

Don't forget kids, German public broadcasting is the daughter of the BBC! :ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

he he he, if it wasn't for that murdoch scum we eouldn't be able to enjoy brit tv. fact. so lets not knock the guy all the time. if it wasn't for his tenacity in the early 90's, you'd have a black screen to look at.

as to regional programming, how do you measure that? yes BR WDR etc do produce a good selection of "regional" programs but they waste millions on duplication of formats which would have function quiet easly bundesweit. but if you consider regional programming as in welsh, english, scottish, irish then there the comparisons become difficult. where the british system is leading, is the independent production companies and the quota each channel has to fill. here its a scam, there its the driving force in television.

general trends? you'll see the fruits of the rationalisation in the bbc soon enough, but only because of the success of the sky platform. companies such as UK:TV are now becoming a leading commisioner in make over/diy/cooking/ and my beloved gardening programs instead of a place of repeats. this trend is freeing up bbc commisioning to be mre adventurous. dont forget the biggest opperation with cross medial synergies is the beeb, its a blooming giant. look at how things have gone from radio to bbc3 than one than two etc. the presant german system is just not providing the opportunities for those good ideas that are out there, sadly. they could start with an ard2 as in bbc2 IMHO

Ok, sorry for reviving a 15 year old thread but currently watching Die Bergretter and they've said 'scheisse' 17 (!) times at this stage..and I didn't even start watching it from the start..Oh, make that 18!! 

Been without TV in our household since moving to Germany 8yr ago and very happy about it.

My cat Hemingway in Hamburg about 10 years ago knocked over my mini TV set on top of a box which had contained some bottles of wine.

I laughed it off. I haven’t had a TV since.

I had it for Walker Texas Ranger and the Bundesliga!

I remember being surprised and a little shocked by full frontal male nudity - perhaps on a Tatort - in 1982. It's still rare on prime-time TV in the US.

I remember going to the flicks in Bonn as a teenager in 1971 to watch Schulmaedchenreport and being disappointed at the lack of full frontal female nudity!😂

If you want access to UK TV: britishtv.club.

I pay about 18 euros (or maybe pounds) a year for bronze membership.

You can also pay EUR 40 a year for the Beebs app which will allow you to see the programmes stored on the BBC iPlayer as well as the ITV Hub and the archives of another TV channel or two in the UK.

Both options are better than German TV. Even YouTube is better. I've been binge-watching Season 3 of Poirot and have amazingly found a few episodes I've not seen before.