Another Pierogie-and-Vodka Run

29 posts in this topic

As per the recent thread on train travel to Polish border towns, Callie and I are plotting another quick border crossing using a Brandenburg group ticket (in the range of 25-27 euros) for five people. We are three so far... do we have any takers for this Friday? Friday's supposed to be nice, weather-wise, which is rare enough to make me feel like it makes sense to jump on that. The weekend, unfortunately looks colder.

The routing is out of Berlin-Lichtenberg hourly at 34 minutes past the hour and takes an hour and a bit to get to Kostrzyn. Kostrzyn is reported to be a bit of a hole in the wall, so one other idea would be to stop on the way & do a bit of touring. I foundMüncheberg. Just another 777-yr-old town. We could start out by touring Müncheberg, hoping for some sun or at least no rain, then go on to Poland for a hearty late lunch/early dinner.

I'm about 80% sure the train to Kostrzyn passes through Müncheberg, but will confirm this for sure if there's interest out there in doing this. Let me know...

I was hoping for a weekend event, me and my boyfriend both work full time. Would anyone be tempted to change to this Saturday instead...? I'm really keen to join a trip like this, so if not this week then next time hopefully.

Of my three for tomorrow, two have reversed themselves, so I'm only one. I continue to think the weather will be better Friday than Saturday, but I count only myself, Jade2 and DunkinBerliner as sure bets. Let's do a recount for Saturday -- how many would there be? The challenge here is to get a number that's divisable by four or five so that the ticket is a good value. Here's info on the routing; based on previous experience with Toytowners, I suggest the 11:34 departure from Lichtenburg. The times for the 2nd & 3rd legs are somewhat arbitrary (we typically decide departure times based on group concensus on-the-spot). All trains are available every hour so there is flexibility.

Berlin-Lichtenberg Sa, 21.11.09 ab 11:34 15 NEB 5373

Müncheberg(Mark) Sa, 21.11.09 an 12:09

------------------------

Müncheberg(Mark) Sa, 21.11.09 ab 15:10 NEB 5379

Kostrzyn Sa, 21.11.09 an 15:43

------------------------

Kostrzyn Sa, 21.11.09 ab 19:05 NEB 5388

Berlin-Lichtenberg Sa, 21.11.09 an 20:28 16

It may make sense to bring a bicycle...

I would really, really love to do this. Going to a job interview this afternoon and will have more of an idea what my weekend is looking like when it's over. I will post back here this evening. :)

So we're rescheduling for Saturday? I saw only the Sat. times listed above. I am free to go on either day, but I need advance notice (the night before would be best). If we're going tomorrow, please let me know by 10pm tonight. Otherwise, count me in for Sat. I agree it is best to go with as close to 5 in the group as possible for a better deal. So I'll go with the largest group.

db

as much as I would love to do this, I'm out too. Back to dr's tomorrow to see why the sinus headaches aren't gone. Hopefully they'll get me fixed up, but as being outside/in the cold seems to make it worse - I think I'm best seeing doc and then staying inside. UGH!!

Trip is NOT happening today (Friday) but could still happen tomorrow. I only count 4 people, however (myself and my 2 sidekicks) and dunkin'berliner. Anyone who definitely wants to go should PM me and then I'll send my mobile number so we can coordinate the meet-up at Lichtenburg Bahnhof.

I would love to, but my piece of registered post didn't arrive before I left this morning, so I'm going to have to sort out going somewhere to collect it tomorrow (it's a ticket for something on Sunday, so I'll really need to get it). Also we are two people, which would make 6, which would totally screw the numbers up. Another time...

I'd be interested to hear about it though.

well, I got antibiotics - so we'll see how that goes.

Otherwise, if I'm feeling good and the weather is nice next weekend, anyone want to try for Poland then?

~Rose

Myself and Serennissima can make it tomorrow, who else is in? Dunkin'? Weather forecast not looking too bad, reasonably warm anyway considering.

Trip is NOT happening today (Friday) but could still happen tomorrow. I only count 4 people, however (myself and my 2 sidekicks) and dunkin'berliner. Anyone who definitely wants to go should PM me and then I'll send my mobile number so we can coordinate the meet-up at Lichtenburg Bahnhof.

Myself and Serennissima can make it tomorrow, who else is in? Dunkin'? Weather forecast not looking too bad, reasonably warm anyway considering.

If Katchyta has 4 including her pals and me (as mentioned above), adding you two would make 6 - thus requiring a 2nd ticket. I will be happy to back down so you 2 can join the group and make an even 5. See what a gentleman I am?

I sent Katchyta a pm this am and haven't heard from her, so maybe she read my profile and thinks I'm a freak. ;)

I'll watch this post til late this eve and see what the final count is; if the final count ends up being only 4 total with everyone, I'll be happy to opt back in.

db

Dunkin' confirmed by PM that (s)he's in. And possibly a S.O. as well. I call it a go with 4 sure bets. NOTE: Callie and Serennissima are the two in addition to me that I was already counting!! I have an additional friend I can also ask for a fifth, but it would be good to know Dunkin', if you are one or two. Let's meet at Lichtenburg S-Bahn at 11:20 AM and buy the group tic there. I think the weather will be slightly cooler than today but not much, and little or no chance of rain.