Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Sightseeing in and around Regensburg

8 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I was wondering if there is places or area worth to visit nearby Regensburg.

Next week, I am going to Regensburg from Nurnberg. What I meant by nearby is not more than 2-3 hours by train from Regensburg.

thanx

Well, to make it more specific, maybe between regensburg to munchen, are there places worth to visit, because I dont have much time.

thanx

Give us more of a clue: towns, castles, countryside? As it's a World Heritage Site and you don't have much time, I'm not sure why you plan to leave the centre of Regensburg itself.

Take a tour of the city see where the pope pooped at and sang harmonies(holla). I recommend stopping at Boston Coffee shop at the Kohlenmarkt and people watch for an hour. Watch the touríst being herded like sheep. Also check out the Donau and the bridge about a 100 meters away. If it is not to cold outside grab a beer and lunch at Alte Linde on the north part of the bridge. Sitting outside is nice and you wont have any trouble finding a table and it has been remarkably warm as of late but cannot be for sure next week. Xmas markt open soon but do not know how soon you will be here.

If headed to Munich via DB not much on the direct route outside of Landshut or Freising. Eggmühl has a nice beat up train station that begs to be shot in Black and white mode but that is only good for an hour.

Of tangent when leaving NBerg to go to regensburg you will pass a small town called Laaber (20 min before regensburg) you wont stop but enjoy the view. All the houses lined on the side of the hills really look wonderful. Best view should be on your left side since that is where the river will be. Don't bother ever going there though unless just hiking through. Not much to see really.

Today I walked by the Regensburger Dom, went to Drubba (wife bought €100 Swarovski earrings while I looked at a few cuckoo clocks), checked out the Donaumarkt (friend bought 1,000 eggs-XXL sized), Visited DEZ (Donau Einkaufszentrum) & ate Wiener Wusrtl mit Semmel at Glöckl & bought a Jacket and two t-shirts at C&A. All in a time period of 3 hours. Haven't been back to Sam Kullman's diner yet, but I will go again.

The Befreiungshalle at Kelheim (27km from Regensburg) is pretty cool, and you can do it on a double trip (and slightly reduced price ticket) with Burg Prunn near Riedenburg.

All grampus pod members like the Befreiungshalle, but mrs g wasn't overly fussed for Burg Prunn.

Might go back in the spring, because I think you can do some kind of boat trip down to a brew-cloister (actually, with all the trees, it should be pretty, erm, pretty, right now).

post-37665-12588393897053.jpg